gtk2 : window inside an other window ?

oxman

Hello,

I want (with gtk2) have a window inside an other window.
Can you explain how i can do that please ?

(If someone know mIRC it's an example of program who have a window
(channel) inside an other window (main program))

See you later..

RvB

--r5Pyd7+fXNt84Ff3

(If someone know mIRC it's an example of program who have a window
(channel) inside an other window (main program))

What you mean is a Multiple Document Interface as seen in many windows
applications as the program manager (windows < 95) for example. IMO this
is a very restrictive way, since users can not freely move and sort
their windows to place them on seperate desktops for example. additional
to that, you take the window manager's control from these windows and
prevent keybindings, custom decoration, etc, from working.

But to the practical things: GTK is not able to do windows style MDI.
most applications use tabs instead, which are simpler and less
disturbing. this is also the recommended way in many GTK programming
FAQs :)

bye
RvB (Rene van Bevern) <[email protected]>

--r5Pyd7+fXNt84Ff3

--r5Pyd7+fXNt84Ff3--

RvB

--xHFwDpU9dbj6ez1V

humm how i can make tabulation with gtk2 ? :D

the widget is called GtkNotebook, i hope that helps.
one of the many gtk references will explain it.
i only know its usage in C, not in ruby. I prefer building the GUI with
glade and loading its .glade files using libglade. One example for
http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?Simple+Text+Editor

bye
RvB (Rene van Bevern) <[email protected]>

--xHFwDpU9dbj6ez1V

--xHFwDpU9dbj6ez1V--