    <hbox>

    I used xmlwf and xmllint and both didnt eat this.
    Anyway, Gtkdialog eats it. How can this work ?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?=, Dec 20, 2006

  2. Jürgen Kahrs escribió:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I just tried to get the example script of the
    > Gtkdialog tool running:
    >
    > http://linux.pte.hu/~pipas/gtkdialog/
    >
    > This tool claims to use an XML description of
    > a GUI and run it. Indeed, the example works.
    > What puzzles me is the fact that the example
    > is not well-formed XML:
    >
    > <vbox>
    > <frame Print fields>
    > <hbox>
    >
    > I used xmlwf and xmllint and both didnt eat this.
    > Anyway, Gtkdialog eats it. How can this work ?

    Well, quoting the Gtkdialog docs:

    "The dialog description language is a simple XML like language capable
    to denote any complex dialog box containing widgets and boxes. "

    So it doesn't claim to be XML, but just XML-like. Probably read with a
    simple ad-hoc parser (not an XML compliant one). The source tarball
    contains files like "gtkdialog_lexer.c", "gtkdialog_parser.c", etc.

    Regards.
    --
    Manuel Collado - http://lml.ls.fi.upm.es/~mcollado

    Manuel Collado, Dec 20, 2006

  3. Hello Manuel,

    >> I used xmlwf and xmllint and both didnt eat this.
    >> Anyway, Gtkdialog eats it. How can this work ?

    > Well, quoting the Gtkdialog docs:
    >
    > "The dialog description language is a simple XML like language capable
    > to denote any complex dialog box containing widgets and boxes. "

    Thanks for finding this out.
    On their web page they introduce the first example
    with the sentence.

    The following shell script will load and execute a Glade XML file

    So, I thought they really use XML files.

    > So it doesn't claim to be XML, but just XML-like. Probably read with a
    > simple ad-hoc parser (not an XML compliant one). The source tarball
    > contains files like "gtkdialog_lexer.c", "gtkdialog_parser.c", etc.

    XML-like sounds nice, but it becomes useless when
    I cannot parse it with a proper XML parser.
    It is incomprehensible to me why someone should
    define an XML-like format. Only Microsoft and IBM
    can make money by adopting a standard in this way.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=FCrgen_Kahrs?=, Dec 20, 2006
  4. Jürgen Kahrs escribió:
    > Hello Manuel,
    > On their web page they introduce the first example
    > with the sentence.
    >
    > The following shell script will load and execute a Glade XML file
    >
    > So, I thought they really use XML files.

    Well, it seems that Gtkdialog accepts two different input formats:

    - True-XML glade files (option -g)
    - XML-like Gtkdialog files (option -f)

    > XML-like sounds nice, but it becomes useless when
    > I cannot parse it with a proper XML parser.
    > It is incomprehensible to me why someone should
    > define an XML-like format. Only Microsoft and IBM
    > can make money by adopting a standard in this way.

    Yes, it is hurtful (or at least confusing) to invent new file formats and
    pretend they are similar and almost-compatible with well stablished
    standards, when in fact they aren't.

    Regards.
    --
    Manuel Collado - http://lml.ls.fi.upm.es/~mcollado