gtkwave not displaying ghdl simulation.

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Neil Dugan, May 10, 2007.

  1. Neil Dugan

    Neil Dugan Guest

    Hi,
    I am new to VHDL and tried this example I found. The 'report'
    statements show that the simulation appears to work. But gtkwave isn't
    showing any output. Why?

    I am using
    GHDL 0.21 (20051218) [Sokcho edition]
    GTKWave Analyzer v1.3.81

    These came with my Ubuntu 6.10 distribution

    Regards Neil.

    all: tb_adder

    adder.o: adder.vhdl
    ghdl -a $<

    tb_adder.o: tb_adder.vhdl adder.o
    ghdl -a $<

    tb_adder: tb_adder.o
    ghdl -e $@

    adder.vcd: tb_adder
    ghdl -r tb_adder --vcd=$@ --stop-time=100ns

    show: adder.vcd
    gtkwave $< signals &>/dev/null

    clean:
    rm *.o
    rm *.vcd

    Neil Dugan, May 10, 2007

  2. Neil Dugan wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I am new to VHDL and tried this example I found. The 'report'
    > statements show that the simulation appears to work. But gtkwave isn't
    > showing any output. Why?

    Is a VCD file generated at all, and does it contain any data? It should be
    readable (but not comprehensible) with any text editor.

    I'm afraid I can not help you any further, as my installation of ghdl does
    not work anymore. I think it is because I now use a 64 bit OS.
    "ghdl -a adder.vhdl" throws a bunch of error messages at me:

    adder.s: Assembler messages:
    adder.s:128: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `push'
    adder.s:135: Error: suffix or operands invalid for `push'

    I have some side remarks though:

    You can remove the library and use clauses from adder.vhdl and
    tb_adder.vhdl. You only use type "bit", so package std_logic_1164 is not
    needed.

    In your makefile you load tb_adder for simulation. You also have a
    configuration, but you don't use it. It would be better to load
    cfg_tb_adder instead. In this particular case it does not matter as there
    is only one architecture. By making it a habit to always use a toplevel
    configuration, you may avoid some possible mixups in the future.

    Hopefully you'll find what's wrong with the VCD output.

    --
    Paul Uiterlinden
    www.aimvalley.nl

    Paul Uiterlinden, May 10, 2007

  3. Neil Dugan

    Guest

    Paul Uiterlinden wrote:
    > Neil Dugan wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > > I am new to VHDL and tried this example I found. The 'report'
    > > statements show that the simulation appears to work. But gtkwave isn't
    > > showing any output. Why?

    There's no output shown because you conceivably could be looking at a
    VCD file that has hundreds of thousands of nets in it. So you have to
    import nets manually.

    > Is a VCD file generated at all, and does it contain any data? It should be
    > readable (but not comprehensible) with any text editor.

    If you're on a pre GTK-2.8 box you have to bring up the tree window
    separately.

    Search->SignalSearchTree
    Then add signals from there.

    -Tony

    , May 11, 2007
  4. Neil Dugan

    Neil Dugan Guest

    wrote:
    > Paul Uiterlinden wrote:
    >
    >>Neil Dugan wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi,
    >>>I am new to VHDL and tried this example I found. The 'report'
    >>>statements show that the simulation appears to work. But gtkwave isn't
    >>> showing any output. Why?

    > There's no output shown because you conceivably could be looking at a
    > VCD file that has hundreds of thousands of nets in it. So you have to
    > import nets manually.
    >

    >>Is a VCD file generated at all, and does it contain any data? It should be
    >>readable (but not comprehensible) with any text editor.

    > If you're on a pre GTK-2.8 box you have to bring up the tree window
    > separately.
    >
    > Search->SignalSearchTree
    > Then add signals from there.

    Yes that was it, thanks.