GUI apps in Windows with native widgets?

Gilles Ganault

Hello

I'd like to write a GUI app in Python exclusively for Windows.
Apparently, development of PythonWin has stopped a long time ago.

Is there another thin wrapper to write apps in Windows? I'd rather not
have to ship eg. WxWidgets, GTK+, or QT.

Thank you.

Michael Torrie

Hello

I'd like to write a GUI app in Python exclusively for Windows.
Apparently, development of PythonWin has stopped a long time ago.

Is there another thin wrapper to write apps in Windows? I'd rather not
have to ship eg. WxWidgets, GTK+, or QT.

Well shipping wxWidgets isn't a big deal. If you are already requiring
python be installed, then a wxWidgets dll is trivial. Even better, if
you are using py2exe, then the wxWidgets dll and module will all be
wrapped cleanly in the exe, so I think it's a clear winner. Users
needn't know anything about wxWidgets or have to install it. Bundling
wxWidgets in your python app adds a couple of megabytes to the size.

Certainly you're not going to want to do native win32 GUI development,
even in python. wxWidgets is an order of magnitude better for doing
this, methinks.

Tim Roberts

Gilles Ganault said:
I'd like to write a GUI app in Python exclusively for Windows.
Apparently, development of PythonWin has stopped a long time ago.

I'm not sure why you would think so. The latest pywin32 release came out
in September, and supports Python 2.2 through 2.6.

However, PythonWin isn't really a framework for writing GUI Python apps.
It's more of an IDE for Python.
Is there another thin wrapper to write apps in Windows? I'd rather not
have to ship eg. WxWidgets, GTK+, or QT.

If you are comfortable with the Win32 API and MFC, pywin32 includes a
relatively thin wrapper around MFC. It's quite possible to write GUI apps
using it, and there are several good examples.

I'm not sure that I'd prefer it to wxPython, however.