    examples on their wiki looks easy. Is it okay or should I use wax or
    something else?

    Mage

    Mage, Apr 22, 2005

  2. Mage

    codecraig Guest

    I am fairly new to Python as well. However, coming from a Java
    background and Swing...I jumped into Jython. It let me use my previous
    swing knowledge to make GUI's. However, python comes with Tkinter
    which is the 'standard' gui library. I'd suggest checking out Tkinter,
    but i dont have much experience with others.

    some other ones I have heard about... wxWidgest, and Python Card

    codecraig, Apr 22, 2005

  3. Mage

    Jaime Wyant Guest

    Python Card wraps around wxPython.

    wxPython is a wrapper around wxWidgets. Because of this, it may not
    feel very "pythonic."

    I personally really like wxPython -- heck it is borderline love!
    wxPython isn't that hard to pick up and the folks on the mailing list
    are especially helpful. wxPython's creator, Robin Dunn doesn't seem
    to sleep or eat and is constantly answering questions. No, I'm
    serious Robin doesn't eat or sleep -- I'm still trying to find someone
    who has actually met him. I personally believe he is a robot.

    Be warned though, that some people question the
    "cross-platformability" of wxPython. I've been doing GUI stuff
    exclusively for windows, so I can't really speak to this.

    jw

    Jaime Wyant, Apr 22, 2005
  4. I have recently been using gtk+2 and glade2. I love glade because it
    allows me to visually design my interface and then use my favorite
    editor to code up all the callbacks. Best of all the UI is stored as an
    xml file you just load from your python program.

    For a good introduction, take a look at this article from Linux
    Journal:
    http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6586

    Chris

    Christopher De Vries, Apr 22, 2005
  5. On 2005-04-22, Mage <> wrote:

    > I am flirting with the idea of developing a gui app in python
    > as a newbie. Which module should I use? I have noticed that
    > wxpython is already installed on my gentoo and the examples on
    > their wiki looks easy. Is it okay or should I use wax or
    > something else?

    If you need portability, then wxPython is hard to beat.
    wxPython is a bit complex -- it took me a while to grasp the
    concept of separate trees/hierarchies for widget layout and for
    widget ownership. Though there are a few situations where it
    could be useful (I've never run across any of them in my apps),
    the whole ID scheme seems pretty clunky. Wax unifies the two
    trees so it's simpler to learn (it's more like Tk).

    Sizers in wxPython feel a log like hbox/vbox layout from TeX,
    so I like that.

    The Gtk port of Python is pretty decent as well, but
    portability to Windows and Mac isn't as good.

    I've never tried Qt.

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! Will the third world
    at war keep "Bosom Buddies"

    Grant Edwards, Apr 22, 2005
  6. On 2005-04-22, Jaime Wyant <> wrote:

    > wxPython's creator, Robin Dunn doesn't seem to sleep or eat
    > and is constantly answering questions. No, I'm serious Robin
    > doesn't eat or sleep

    No kidding! I think he puts more work into wxPython than a lot
    of people put into their full-time jobs. Every day right after
    lunchtime (USA CST), there is always a whole batch of Robin's
    answers to wxPython questions on the mailing list.

    > Be warned though, that some people question the
    > "cross-platformability" of wxPython. I've been doing GUI
    > stuff exclusively for windows, so I can't really speak to
    > this.

    I write (fairly simple apps) on Linux and deploy on Windows.
    There is an occasional glitch, but it works far better than
    anybody has any right to expect.

    wxPython combined with py2exe and inno-setup can make writing a
    windows app something that won't drive you to threats of
    suicide.

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! And furthermore,
    at my bowling average is

    Grant Edwards, Apr 22, 2005
  7. Mage

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Mage <> writes:
    > I am flirting with the idea of developing a gui app in python as a
    > newbie. Which module should I use?

    Tkinter is the most widespread and it's pretty easy to use.

    > I have noticed that wxpython is already installed on my gentoo and the
    > examples on their wiki looks easy. Is it okay or should I use wax or
    > something else?

    If wxpython already installed, then that's great. It's not
    preinstalled on the RH9 or FC3 systems I use, and I found it an
    enormous pain to install. I eventually gave up.

    Paul Rubin, Apr 22, 2005
  8. R. C. James Harlow wrote:
    > Qt, in my opinion, is as excellent as python in the consistency stakes, has
    > the best documentation bar none, an excellent set of python bindings, the
    > best free layout tool, and an active and helpful community.
    >
    > The killer, of course, is that there's no free windows port, so if you're
    > doing free software that you want to run on linux then you're stuffed.

    That situation is about to change: Qt 4 for Windows will be available
    under the GPL.

    http://www.trolltech.com/newsroom/announcements/00000192.html

    However, I haven't heard whether PyQt for Qt 4 will also be available
    under the GPL.

    Shane

    Shane Hathaway, Apr 22, 2005
  9. On Friday 22 April 2005 20:07, Grant Edwards wrote:

    > I've never tried Qt.

    Qt, in my opinion, is as excellent as python in the consistency stakes, has
    the best documentation bar none, an excellent set of python bindings, the
    best free layout tool, and an active and helpful community.

    The killer, of course, is that there's no free windows port, so if you're
    doing free software that you want to run on linux then you're stuffed.

    james.

    R. C. James Harlow, Apr 22, 2005
  10. On Friday 22 April 2005 20:26, Shane Hathaway wrote:

    > > The killer, of course, is that there's no free windows port, so if you're
    > > doing free software that you want to run on linux then you're stuffed.

    > That situation is about to change: Qt 4 for Windows will be available
    > under the GPL.
    >
    > http://www.trolltech.com/newsroom/announcements/00000192.html

    Ah - I did know that, but I thought that it was Q4 2005, not Q2 2005, so
    didn't bother mentioning it. That's excellent news!

    R. C. James Harlow, Apr 22, 2005
  11. Mage

    John J. Lee Guest

    "R. C. James Harlow" <> writes:

    > On Friday 22 April 2005 20:07, Grant Edwards wrote:
    >
    > > I've never tried Qt.

    > Qt, in my opinion, is as excellent as python in the consistency stakes, has
    > the best documentation bar none, an excellent set of python bindings, the
    > best free layout tool, and an active and helpful community.

    Qt's technical superiority is unchallenged (pretty much).

    > The killer, of course, is that there's no free windows port, so if you're
    > doing free software that you want to run on linux then you're stuffed.

    Soon to change: Qt 4 for Windows (and the corresponding PyQt) will be
    available under the GPL. Dunno when Qt 4 is scheduled for though. I
    wonder if BlackAdder will carry on with roughly similar price and
    licensing with Qt 4?

    Also, somebody outside Trolltech was also doing a port of Qt 3 GPL to
    Windows which apparently got quite a long way. Whether that effort
    continues, and whether PyQt will support that 'unofficial' port, I
    don't know (not sure TT are hugely happy about the port, so perhaps
    PyQt's author - Phil Thompson - respecting the people at TT as I'm
    sure he does, won't support it).

    Poor old Phil Thompson is fated to answer the same licensing questions
    forever, though - an activity I suspect he dislikes even more than GUI
    application programming <wink>

    John

    John J. Lee, Apr 22, 2005
  12. Mage

    John J. Lee Guest

    Shane Hathaway <> writes:
    > R. C. James Harlow wrote:

    [...]
    > That situation is about to change: Qt 4 for Windows will be available
    > under the GPL.
    >
    > http://www.trolltech.com/newsroom/announcements/00000192.html
    >
    > However, I haven't heard whether PyQt for Qt 4 will also be available
    > under the GPL.

    Yes, PyQt will be available under the same license as Qt.

    The only thing left for people to gripe about post-Qt 4 is that it's
    not BSD-licensed: you have to pay when you write non-free (free as in
    speech) software.

    John

    John J. Lee, Apr 22, 2005
  13. "Jaime Wyant" <> wrote in message
    Python Card wraps around wxPython.

    <snip>
    Be warned though, that some people question the
    "cross-platformability" of wxPython. I've been doing GUI stuff
    exclusively for windows, so I can't really speak to this.

    I'm sure there are gotchas I haven't stumbled into yet
    BUT
    wxPython "cross-platformability" Linux/Gnome<->Windows is amazing!

    Thomas Bartkus

    Thomas Bartkus, Apr 22, 2005
  14. Mage

    John J. Lee Guest

    "Christopher De Vries" <> writes:

    > I have recently been using gtk+2 and glade2. I love glade because it
    > allows me to visually design my interface and then use my favorite
    > editor to code up all the callbacks. Best of all the UI is stored as an
    > xml file you just load from your python program.

    [...]

    Qt, wx and Gtk all have toolsets to do this. Tk too?

    John

    John J. Lee, Apr 22, 2005
  15. On Friday 22 April 2005 9:26 pm, John J. Lee wrote:
    > "R. C. James Harlow" <> writes:
    > > On Friday 22 April 2005 20:07, Grant Edwards wrote:
    > > > I've never tried Qt.

    > > Qt, in my opinion, is as excellent as python in the consistency stakes,
    > > has the best documentation bar none, an excellent set of python bindings,
    > > the best free layout tool, and an active and helpful community.

    > Qt's technical superiority is unchallenged (pretty much).
    >
    > > The killer, of course, is that there's no free windows port, so if you're
    > > doing free software that you want to run on linux then you're stuffed.

    > Soon to change: Qt 4 for Windows (and the corresponding PyQt) will be
    > available under the GPL. Dunno when Qt 4 is scheduled for though. I
    > wonder if BlackAdder will carry on with roughly similar price and
    > licensing with Qt 4?

    Qt 4 is scheduled for the end of Q2. The plan is that PyQt will follow "fairly
    soon" after, but there will be a number of releases with classes being added
    at each release. It will be some afterwards that the support matches that of
    Qt 3.

    > Also, somebody outside Trolltech was also doing a port of Qt 3 GPL to
    > Windows which apparently got quite a long way. Whether that effort
    > continues, and whether PyQt will support that 'unofficial' port, I
    > don't know (not sure TT are hugely happy about the port, so perhaps
    > PyQt's author - Phil Thompson - respecting the people at TT as I'm
    > sure he does, won't support it).

    With something like that you adopt a "wait and see" attitude to see if it
    gains any momentum.

    > Poor old Phil Thompson is fated to answer the same licensing questions
    > forever, though - an activity I suspect he dislikes even more than GUI
    > application programming <wink>

    But at least it means I can stop adding the phrase "but it depends of which
    platform you are using" to every sentence I utter.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Apr 23, 2005
  16. Mage

    John J. Lee Guest

    (John J. Lee) writes:
    > Shane Hathaway <> writes:

    [...]
    > > However, I haven't heard whether PyQt for Qt 4 will also be available
    > > under the GPL.

    > Yes, PyQt will be available under the same license as Qt.

    Oops, s/license/licenses/

    John

    John J. Lee, Apr 24, 2005