GUI(eclipse+pydev/SPE) freeze when doing python auto-completion underLinux

Wei, James

When I am editing python program with SPE, I found that SPE will
freeze when it is doing auto-completion. The behavior is very strange
that I can not edit the file again. If I switch to another file and
then switch back, I can edit it again.

So I switch to eclipse+pydev, but I found the same thing happen. So I
think it is not the problem of SPE or eclipse or pydev.

If I disable auto-completion function in SPE or Eclipse+PyDev, it will
not freeze any longer.

Anybody can give me some hints?

I am using Ubuntu 8.10 and updated to latest. All packages is
installed through package manager.

Wei, James

When I am editing python program with SPE, I found that SPE will
freeze when it is doing auto-completion. The behavior is very strange
that I can not edit the file again. If I switch to another file and
then switch back, I can edit it again.

So I switch to eclipse+pydev, but I found the same thing happen. So I
think it is not the problem of SPE or eclipse or pydev.

If I disable auto-completion function in SPE or Eclipse+PyDev, it will
not freeze any longer.

Anybody can give me some hints?

I am using Ubuntu 8.10 and updated to latest. All packages is
installed through package manager.

the only thing I googled related with it is

http://www.nabble.com/-pydev---Users--jython-2.5b1-Froze-eclipse-on-autocomplete-td21394274.html

but I think they are different.

Fabio Zadrozny

yes, the same problem even on an empty program. every file has the same
problem.

for example, if I new a file and input the following:
import os
os.
after I input '.', it will pop up the window, and i can select the function
of os module or continue input. but after that, no action can be taken for
this file unless I switch to other files and then switch back.

If it's in pydev, there's probably some problem in your interpreter
configuration (when you do os. it'll spawn a shell to gather the
completions -- but that should be pretty quick unless you have some
firewall that's preventing the communication or the spawn didn't go
well -- check your error log to see if you have any errors... In linux
I've seen some problems when connecting to 127.0.0.1 while having ipv6
enabled or in a network card misconfiguration that could cause
problems too).

Cheers,

Fabio

Fabio Zadrozny

Thanks for your reply.

where is the error log? I can not find it at /var/log

Take a look at http://pydev.sourceforge.net/faq.html#how_do_i_report_a_bug
(it gives the details on how to find the needed info).
I have a virtual network card to bridge kvm virtual machine. will it cause
problem?

Not sure... What I know is that pydev creates a shell and connects to
it through 127.0.0.1, so, if that fails, that could be a problem.
as you said configuration of interpretor, how should I configure the
interpretor?

Please follow the getting started tutorial for that:
http://fabioz.com/pydev/manual_101_root.html

Cheers,

Fabio