    3-Your recommended references to support your answer?
    Thanks a lot.
    N4M.

    N4M, Aug 7, 2004

  2. I think the only answer you will get from people on this group
    is that your question should be asked on GUI specific groups.
    Your question seems to be Off Topic here.

    Greets

    --

    Mateusz £oskot
    mateusz at loskot dot net

    =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Mateusz_=A3oskot?=, Aug 7, 2004

  3. N4M

    Phlip Guest

    :
    > 1- Should I separate backend for schedulign algorithms (prbably will
    > be in C++) and GUI (?).

    What language do you know best?

    You should separate the back end by writing unit tests and acceptance tests
    that do everything to the backend that a user could do.

    > 2- Should I start learning MFC or switch to C# with Window Forms?
    > Which option is more effective in terms of learning curve, development
    > time and future compatibility.

    I can code WTL faster and more robust than anyone proficient with C# and
    Windows Forms can. I could probably muddle along in MFC. But MFC is never a
    viable system, and today is generally discredited. For example, Microsoft's
    main VC++ editor, MSDev, used it, and they switched to DevEnv, which I
    suspect uses something else. MFC speciallizes in "vendor lock-in", so the
    effect apparently bit the vendor itself!

    I would use Ruby for the back-end and Ruby/Fox or Ruby/Tk for the front end.

    (Why do I post to news:comp.lang.c++ ? Because I like Ruby so much! ;)

    --
    Phlip

    Phlip, Aug 7, 2004
  4. N4M

    N4M Guest

    "Phlip" <> wrote in message news:<ODcRc.274$>...
    > N4M wrote:
    >
    > > I am going to build a DSS for hospital scheduling. I have some
    > > knowledge of standard C++, but I am novice to Windows programming and
    > > GUI development. Please tell me

    > :
    > > 1- Should I separate backend for schedulign algorithms (prbably will
    > > be in C++) and GUI (?).

    > What language do you know best?
    >
    > You should separate the back end by writing unit tests and acceptance tests
    > that do everything to the backend that a user could do.
    >
    > > 2- Should I start learning MFC or switch to C# with Window Forms?
    > > Which option is more effective in terms of learning curve, development
    > > time and future compatibility.

    > I can code WTL faster and more robust than anyone proficient with C# and
    > Windows Forms can. I could probably muddle along in MFC. But MFC is never a
    > viable system, and today is generally discredited. For example, Microsoft's
    > main VC++ editor, MSDev, used it, and they switched to DevEnv, which I
    > suspect uses something else. MFC speciallizes in "vendor lock-in", so the
    > effect apparently bit the vendor itself!
    >
    > I would use Ruby for the back-end and Ruby/Fox or Ruby/Tk for the front end.
    >
    > (Why do I post to news:comp.lang.c++ ? Because I like Ruby so much! ;)

    Thanks for your suggestion. I will write the back-end entirely in C++.
    For the front-end, maybe C# is a good thing to learn (I've heard too
    many people complaining of MFC, and other toolkit might be troublesome
    for commercial packages?)

    N4M, Aug 9, 2004