GUI for multiplatform multimedia project

Discussion in 'Python' started by Guest, Jan 6, 2010.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi everyone,

    I posted that question on a python-forum, but got answer, so I ask here.

    I'm working on an artistic project and I'm looking for the best
    cross-platform GUI solution. The problem is that it's gonna be a tool that
    will have to be double-click installable/runnable and pre-installation of
    any libraries for end-users is very much like an evil. It really has to be
    double-click tool

    My first thought was PyQt, because it's a real framework with a lot of
    stuff inside (including Phonon) and I know some cross-platform media
    software written in C++ QT (like VLC). But on the other hand I've heard
    that it's not that easy to make it "double-clicky" multi-platform. Is that
    true?

    Another thing that matters for me is ease of integration with libraries
    like OpenCV.

    I will be VERY thankful for any help. I'm SO tired googling the problem
    (it's like weeks now!!)

    Best from Poland,
    trzewiczek
    Guest, Jan 6, 2010

    CM Guest

    On Jan 6, 4:53 pm, <> wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I posted that question on a python-forum, but got answer, so I ask here.
    >
    > I'm working on an artistic project and I'm looking for the best
    > cross-platform GUI solution. The problem is that it's gonna be a tool that
    > will have to be double-click installable/runnable and pre-installation of
    > any libraries for end-users is very much like an evil. It really has to be
    > double-click tool
    >
    > My first thought was PyQt, because it's a real framework with a lot of
    > stuff inside (including Phonon) and I know some cross-platform media
    > software written in C++ QT (like VLC). But on the other hand I've heard
    > that it's not that easy to make it "double-clicky" multi-platform. Is that
    > true?
    >
    > Another thing that matters for me is ease of integration with libraries
    > like OpenCV.
    >
    > I will be VERY thankful for any help. I'm SO tired googling the problem
    > (it's like weeks now!!)
    >
    > Best from Poland,
    > trzewiczek

    I don't know this for sure, but I would be surprised if any of the
    widget
    toolkits gave you much more trouble than any other when making your
    app
    into a bundled executable.

    I have made wxPython apps into a Windows .exe file easily using
    GUI2Exe,
    which is an excellent GUI interface (written in wxPython by Andrea
    Gavana)
    to a number of the executable bundlers: py2exe, PyInstaller, py2app,
    cx_Freeze, bbFreeze. Some of these are for Windows, some for Mac,
    some
    for Linux.

    wxPython apparently works with OpenCV:
    http://opencv.willowgarage.com/wiki/wxpython

    While you're Googling you might want to be aware of any legal
    concerns with py2exe and distributing dll files (if there are
    any).
    CM, Jan 7, 2010

  3. schrieb:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > I posted that question on a python-forum, but got answer, so I ask here.
    >
    > I'm working on an artistic project and I'm looking for the best
    > cross-platform GUI solution. The problem is that it's gonna be a tool that
    > will have to be double-click installable/runnable and pre-installation of
    > any libraries for end-users is very much like an evil. It really has to be
    > double-click tool
    >
    > My first thought was PyQt, because it's a real framework with a lot of
    > stuff inside (including Phonon) and I know some cross-platform media
    > software written in C++ QT (like VLC). But on the other hand I've heard
    > that it's not that easy to make it "double-clicky" multi-platform. Is that
    > true?

    I don't know exactly what you mean with that, but I doubt it's easier
    with anything else.

    Another option might be pygame + simple OpenGL though, if you are
    planning on heavy use of Canvas-like things, that might be good enough &
    less heavyweight.

    > Another thing that matters for me is ease of integration with libraries
    > like OpenCV.

    That has little todo with the toolkit. You need some
    image-converting-code, I've written such for Cocoa, to convert OpenCV's
    RGBA to OSX ARGB. But the last resort would be to save the images from
    OpenCV and read them using Qt (or whatever toolkit you use in th eend.

    Diez
    Diez B. Roggisch, Jan 7, 2010