    a google search (though I can usually find those on my own) ?

    Thanks,

    --Aldric
    Aldric Giacomoni, Feb 12, 2009

  2. Aldric Giacomoni

    snex Guest

    On Feb 12, 11:42 am, Aldric Giacomoni <"aldric[remove]"@trevoke.net>
    wrote:
    > Hi all, I'd like to start getting my hands dirty with some graphical
    > stuff but I have no idea where to begin - like, for instance, a game of
    > pong. What libraries/gems are out there to do stuff like that? Do I have
    > no choice but to use something like rubyfx or the gtk or tk bindings and
    > then kinda cover it up?
    > I know I -should- have something and ask for advice but .. I'd like to
    > even know how to get started ;)
    > Do you have any advice for tutorials, or gems, or even good keywords for
    > a google search (though I can usually find those on my own) ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > --Aldric

    id go with the opengl and glut bindings. they should be cross-platform.
    snex, Feb 12, 2009

  3. On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 11:08 PM, Aldric Giacomoni
    <"aldric[remove]"@trevoke.net> wrote:
    > Hi all, I'd like to start getting my hands dirty with some graphical stuff
    > but I have no idea where to begin - like, for instance, a game of pong. What
    > libraries/gems are out there to do stuff like that? Do I have no choice but
    > to use something like rubyfx or the gtk or tk bindings and then kinda cover
    > it up?

    http://shoooes.net/
    http://www.libgosu.org/
    http://rubygame.sourceforge.net/

    martin
    Martin DeMello, Feb 12, 2009

    There's a few options here:
    2D games:
    Rubygame (my favorite)
    Gosu
    RUDL (not really maintained IIRC)
    Gemini (require JRuby)

    3D
    Ogre.rb (ruby bindings for ogre 3d engine)

    These are the ones I know off the top of my head.
    Hope this helps,
    Shawn

    Shawn Anderson, Feb 12, 2009