GUI / graphical games: where to start?

Aldric Giacomoni

Hi all, I'd like to start getting my hands dirty with some graphical
stuff but I have no idea where to begin - like, for instance, a game of
pong. What libraries/gems are out there to do stuff like that? Do I have
no choice but to use something like rubyfx or the gtk or tk bindings and
then kinda cover it up?
I know I -should- have something and ask for advice but .. I'd like to
even know how to get started ;)
Do you have any advice for tutorials, or gems, or even good keywords for
a google search (though I can usually find those on my own) ?

Thanks,

--Aldric

snex

Hi all, I'd like to start getting my hands dirty with some graphical
stuff but I have no idea where to begin - like, for instance, a game of
pong. What libraries/gems are out there to do stuff like that? Do I have
no choice but to use something like rubyfx or the gtk or tk bindings and
then kinda cover it up?
I know I -should- have something and ask for advice but .. I'd like to
even know how to get started ;)
Do you have any advice for tutorials, or gems, or even good keywords for
a google search (though I can usually find those on my own) ?

Thanks,

--Aldric

id go with the opengl and glut bindings. they should be cross-platform.

Shawn Anderson

There's a few options here:
2D games:
Rubygame (my favorite)
Gosu
RUDL (not really maintained IIRC)
Gemini (require JRuby)

3D
Ogre.rb (ruby bindings for ogre 3d engine)

These are the ones I know off the top of my head.
Hope this helps,
Shawn