    Has anyone here done cross platform GUI's? How do you go about it? A
    quick tutorial would be nice, then I can experiment with the
    documentation ^_^
    Catherine Heathcote, Jul 28, 2004

  2. Catherine Heathcote <> spoke thus:

    > Its about time I started creating GUI apps, whats the best way to go
    > about this? I want to stay cross-platform and all I know is GTK and
    > wxWindows :S

    (No offense, but you need to start elsenet.)

    Your post is off-topic for comp.lang.c++. Please visit

    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
    http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Jul 28, 2004

  3. Catherine Heathcote

    Phlip Guest

    Catherine Heathcote wrote:

    > Its about time I started creating GUI apps, whats the best way to go
    > about this? I want to stay cross-platform and all I know is GTK and
    > wxWindows :S
    > Has anyone here done cross platform GUI's? How do you go about it? A
    > quick tutorial would be nice, then I can experiment with the
    > documentation ^_^

    HTML?

    Ruby/Tk?

    Python Tkinter?

    The best GUI platforms use dynamic typing. In C++, you get bogged down in
    details. Try a more productive language to start.

    --
    Phlip
    Phlip, Jul 28, 2004
  4. Catherine Heathcote

    db Guest

    Catherine Heathcote wrote:

    > Its about time I started creating GUI apps, whats the best way to go
    > about this? I want to stay cross-platform and all I know is GTK and
    > wxWindows :S
    > Has anyone here done cross platform GUI's? How do you go about it? A
    > quick tutorial would be nice, then I can experiment with the
    > documentation ^_^

    You already know www.wxwidgets.org you say? Then what else is there to know?
    Just code and compile, it'll work just fine ;-)

    br
    db
    db, Jul 28, 2004
  5. Catherine Heathcote

    Kim Pedersen Guest

    Catherine Heathcote <> wrote in message news:<k7MNc.358$>...
    > Its about time I started creating GUI apps, whats the best way to go
    > about this? I want to stay cross-platform and all I know is GTK and
    > wxWindows :S
    > Has anyone here done cross platform GUI's? How do you go about it? A
    > quick tutorial would be nice, then I can experiment with the
    > documentation ^_^

    I prefer QT. It has excellent documentation, and is portable to most systems.
    Great programs like KDE and Opera are made in QT.
    Visit trolltech.com
    Regards KIm

    Ps: This post is realle off-topic
    Kim Pedersen, Aug 1, 2004
  6. Catherine Heathcote

    John Torjo Guest

    "Phlip" <> wrote in message news:<0_PNc.1141$>...

    First of all, in case you choose to go only for Windows ;), you can
    try:
    http://www.torjo.com/win32gui/
    It's really simple, and it does finally provide real wrappers over
    standard controls.

    > The best GUI platforms use dynamic typing. In C++, you get bogged down in
    > details. Try a more productive language to start.

    I wouldn't say that. In fact, IMHO, C++ is the *best language* to do
    GUI - mostly because of C++ generics.

    Best,
    John

    John Torjo
    Freelancer
    --

    Contributing editor, C/C++ Users Journal
    -- "Win32 GUI Generics" -- generics & GUI do mix, after all

    Professional Logging Solution for FREE
    -- http://www.torjo.com/code/logging.zip (logging - C++)
    -- http://www.torjo.com/logview/ (viewing/filtering - Win32)
    -- http://www.torjo.com/logbreak/ (debugging - Win32)
    (source code available)
    John Torjo, Aug 2, 2004
  7. John Torjo wrote:

    > "Phlip" <> wrote in message news:<0_PNc.1141$>...
    >
    > First of all, in case you choose to go only for Windows ;), you can
    > try:
    > http://www.torjo.com/win32gui/
    > It's really simple, and it does finally provide real wrappers over
    > standard controls.
    >
    >>The best GUI platforms use dynamic typing. In C++, you get bogged down in
    >>details. Try a more productive language to start.

    > I wouldn't say that. In fact, IMHO, C++ is the *best language* to do
    > GUI - mostly because of C++ generics.

    Please elaborate, why do C++ "generics" (I assume you mean templates)
    make C++ the best language for GUI's?

    I have seen plenty of programming languages that lacked "generics", but
    yet were very productive for GUI programing, more than most C++ GUI
    frameworks I have seen.

    --
    Peter van Merkerk
    peter.van.merkerk(at)dse.nl
    Peter van Merkerk, Aug 2, 2004
  8. Catherine Heathcote

    Phlip Guest

    John Torjo wrote:

    > > The best GUI platforms use dynamic typing. In C++, you get bogged down in
    > > details. Try a more productive language to start.

    > I wouldn't say that. In fact, IMHO, C++ is the *best language* to do
    > GUI - mostly because of C++ generics.

    Dynamic typing treats classes as objects, which removes much of the
    need for generics, and all the extra syntax supporting them.

    GUIs frequently need the Prototype Pattern and Variable State Pattern.
    Both work much simpler in a dynamically typed language.

    --
    Phlip
    Phlip, Aug 2, 2004