GUI Question

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by ncf, Sep 21, 2005.

  1. ncf

    ncf Guest

    Note: My apologies for the length of the message.

    I've got a stable background in console mode programming (daemon-like
    and interactive) and am starting to get into GUI programming. Because I
    learn best by making stupid little hacks on stuff, I have decided to
    attack Gaim's source code and alter the Buddy List window to have a
    background image.

    I have isolated in gtkblist.h (Line 77) the structure that composes the
    buddy list window, and more specificially, the object I suppose I shall
    have to make a function call on:
    GdkRectangle contact_rect; /** This is the bounding rectangle of the
    contact node
    and its children. This is used for
    auto-expand on
    mouseover. */

    By isolating this, I think it will be easier to find out where to apply
    the call in the source code of gtkblist.c.

    Sadly, however, when I google for such topics, I seem to be inable to
    discover how I should approach this. Any advice/guidance on this matter
    would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks in advance
    -Wes
    ncf, Sep 21, 2005

  2. ncf

    Skarmander Guest

    ncf wrote:
    > Note: My apologies for the length of the message.
    >
    > I've got a stable background in console mode programming (daemon-like
    > and interactive) and am starting to get into GUI programming. Because I
    > learn best by making stupid little hacks on stuff, I have decided to
    > attack Gaim's source code and alter the Buddy List window to have a
    > background image.

    <snip>
    > Sadly, however, when I google for such topics, I seem to be inable to
    > discover how I should approach this. Any advice/guidance on this matter
    > would be greatly appreciated.

    The only guidance I can offer is that you should try forums dedicated to
    GTK, not this one, which is dedicated to the C language. I advise
    reading the tutorial: http://www.gtk.org/tutorial/, and trying a few
    simple programs of your own rather than hacking an existing program.
    That only ever teaches you something if you know how to do it; it's not
    worth it if you have to dig deeply.

    I wager most of us are not familiar with the Gaim source code and aren't
    interested in becoming familiar with it, either.

    S.
    Skarmander, Sep 21, 2005

  3. ncf

    ncf Guest

    Err, my apologies. Thanks for the reply.

    And on a side note, I have never learnt from tutorials for whatever
    reason. Just never seems to click for me. Oh well.

    Thanks anyways,
    -Wes
    ncf, Sep 21, 2005