GUI Question

ncf

Note: My apologies for the length of the message.

I've got a stable background in console mode programming (daemon-like
and interactive) and am starting to get into GUI programming. Because I
learn best by making stupid little hacks on stuff, I have decided to
attack Gaim's source code and alter the Buddy List window to have a
background image.

I have isolated in gtkblist.h (Line 77) the structure that composes the
buddy list window, and more specificially, the object I suppose I shall
have to make a function call on:
GdkRectangle contact_rect; /** This is the bounding rectangle of the
contact node
and its children. This is used for
auto-expand on
mouseover. */

By isolating this, I think it will be easier to find out where to apply
the call in the source code of gtkblist.c.

Sadly, however, when I google for such topics, I seem to be inable to
discover how I should approach this. Any advice/guidance on this matter
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
-Wes

Skarmander

ncf said:
Note: My apologies for the length of the message.

I've got a stable background in console mode programming (daemon-like
and interactive) and am starting to get into GUI programming. Because I
learn best by making stupid little hacks on stuff, I have decided to
attack Gaim's source code and alter the Buddy List window to have a
background image.
Sadly, however, when I google for such topics, I seem to be inable to
discover how I should approach this. Any advice/guidance on this matter
would be greatly appreciated.
The only guidance I can offer is that you should try forums dedicated to
GTK, not this one, which is dedicated to the C language. I advise
reading the tutorial: http://www.gtk.org/tutorial/, and trying a few
simple programs of your own rather than hacking an existing program.
That only ever teaches you something if you know how to do it; it's not
worth it if you have to dig deeply.

I wager most of us are not familiar with the Gaim source code and aren't
interested in becoming familiar with it, either.

S.

ncf

Err, my apologies. Thanks for the reply.

And on a side note, I have never learnt from tutorials for whatever
reason. Just never seems to click for me. Oh well.

Thanks anyways,
-Wes