GUI thread and Python IDLE

huwind

Hi,

I got a problem with Python IDLE to run Tkinter application. I use
thread to start a Tkinter application. It works fine on Linux when I
invoke the program from command line. But when I try to use IDLE, the
GUI doesn't show up until I close the IDLE edit window and the Python
shell window. Does anybody have any idea?

- huwind

Cy Edmunds

huwind said:
Hi,

I got a problem with Python IDLE to run Tkinter application. I use
thread to start a Tkinter application. It works fine on Linux when I
invoke the program from command line. But when I try to use IDLE, the
GUI doesn't show up until I close the IDLE edit window and the Python
shell window. Does anybody have any idea?

- huwind

Have a look at:

http://www.ferg.org/thinking_in_tkinter/index.html

Evidently IDLE is itself a TKinter program.

Steve Holden

huwind said:
Hi,

I got a problem with Python IDLE to run Tkinter application. I use
thread to start a Tkinter application. It works fine on Linux when I
invoke the program from command line. But when I try to use IDLE, the
GUI doesn't show up until I close the IDLE edit window and the Python
shell window. Does anybody have any idea?

IDLE is itself a Tkinter application, so you are probably experiencing
conflict between the main loop of the two applications. It's a bit like
getting into your car to drive from the front seat of your car to the
back seat ...

This is confirmed by the fact that the program runs fine independently.

regards
STeve