    Ruby programs, and I was wondering what can get me started? I know that
    I can use Tk, but that isn't very well documented in the Pickaxe.
    Thanks!

    Yannick Grams, Mar 10, 2007

  2. Yannick Grams, Mar 10, 2007

  3. Forgive the double-post, but I was just wondering if there was a Ruby/Tk
    book. If not, does anyone know of plans for one?

    Yannick Grams, Mar 10, 2007
  4. Yannick Grams

    Lyle Johnson Guest

    On 3/9/07, Yannick Grams <> wrote:

    > Just a quick question: I'm sick of using Command Prompt for my little
    > Ruby programs, and I was wondering what can get me started? I know that
    > I can use Tk, but that isn't very well documented in the Pickaxe.
    > Thanks!

    You might also want to take a look at FXRuby:

    http://www.fxruby.org/

    Hope this helps,

    Lyle

    Lyle Johnson, Mar 10, 2007
  5. Yannick Grams, Mar 10, 2007
  6. Yannick Grams

    Lyle Johnson Guest

    On 3/9/07, Yannick Grams <> wrote:

    > FXRuby looks very interesting: any chance of there being an FXRuby book?

    Possibly someday, but not in the immediate future. For the time being,
    you'd need to rely on the various online documentation sources at the
    FOX home page:

    http://www.fox-toolkit.org/

    and the FXRuby home page:

    http://www.fxruby.org/

    There's also some coverage of FXRuby in Hal Fulton's book "The Ruby
    Way." (This is a good book to own even if you aren't interested in
    FXRuby!)

    Lyle Johnson, Mar 10, 2007
  7. Yannick Grams wrote:
    > Just a quick question: I'm sick of using Command Prompt for my little
    > Ruby programs, and I was wondering what can get me started? I know that
    > I can use Tk, but that isn't very well documented in the Pickaxe.
    > Thanks!

    In my humble opinion, QtRuby is by a wide margin the best documented
    Ruby GUI. In addition to Caleb Tennis' book directly concerning QtRuby,
    all of the cool Qt gizmos, like Kommander and Korundum, QTDesigner and
    all of the Qt documentation itself are available.

    http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Mar 10, 2007
  8. On 10/03/2007, at 1:22 PM, Yannick Grams wrote:

    > FXRuby looks very interesting: any chance of there being an FXRuby
    > book?

    There's a qtRuby book available (PDF, for US$8.50)
    http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/ctrubyqt/

    Is anyone able to give a quick rundown on which of these toolkits
    will work on both Windows and OS X?
    It's not that clear from a number of the sites which platforms they
    will work on. Some (like qt) seem Linux only. I don't use Linux
    <ducks> but a mix os Win and OS X.

    Cheers,
    Dave

    Sharon Phillips, Mar 10, 2007
  9. Sharon Phillips wrote:

    > On 10/03/2007, at 1:22 PM, Yannick Grams wrote:
    >
    >> FXRuby looks very interesting: any chance of there being an FXRuby book?

    > There's a qtRuby book available (PDF, for US$8.50)
    > http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/titles/ctrubyqt/
    >
    > Is anyone able to give a quick rundown on which of these toolkits will
    > work on both Windows and OS X?
    > It's not that clear from a number of the sites which platforms they
    > will work on. Some (like qt) seem Linux only. I don't use Linux
    > <ducks> but a mix os Win and OS X.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Dave

    Qt 4 Ruby works on Windows and Linux for sure. I don't know about Macs,
    though. I think most Mac users prefer native Mac GUIs anyhow, and there
    is one for Ruby that has a very good reputation. I don't have a Mac, so
    I've forgotten the name.

    http://borasky-research.blogspot.com/

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Mar 10, 2007
  10. Yannick Grams

    Aaron Smith Guest

    Aaron Smith, Mar 10, 2007
  11. On 10/03/2007, at 3:56 PM, Aaron Smith wrote:

    > for macs you can use RubyCocoa.

    Thanks, just playing with it now. I like the idea of using interface
    builder for building a gui, but I'm not that familiar with XCode -
    I've worked my way through the example currency converter, that's
    all :)

    Sharon Phillips, Mar 10, 2007
  12. I've been playing around with FXRuby, but I find that the tutorial is
    more of a quick run-through more than a tutorial. It doesn't explain
    things in enough depth. I've tried Googling for one, but to no effect.
    Does anybody know of a good tutorial for FXRuby along with a list of
    classes and methods?

    P.S. I'm quite new to Ruby, and I haven't yet had the need to use a
    "gem". Would anyone be able to give me an explanation of exactly how
    these "gems" work?

    Yannick Grams, Mar 10, 2007
  13. Yannick Grams

    Raj Sahae Guest

    Yannick Grams wrote:
    > I've been playing around with FXRuby, but I find that the tutorial is
    > more of a quick run-through more than a tutorial. It doesn't explain
    > things in enough depth. I've tried Googling for one, but to no effect.
    > Does anybody know of a good tutorial for FXRuby along with a list of
    > classes and methods?

    I've been learning FXRuby in the last two months, and you really just
    have to dive in.
    Pick something you want to make and start doing it. I started off using
    foxguib, which helped me learn the way things are supposed to look, but
    once you get started, it's much more efficient, and you learn faster, to
    code everything yourself.
    I also keep the FXRuby and FOX websites open all the time. Having the
    API docs on hand is a must.
    Once you learn a little bit about how FXRuby works, go bach through the
    tutorial, and look at all the example programs.
    Things start to make a lot more sense then.

    Raj Sahae

    Raj Sahae, Mar 10, 2007
  14. Yannick Grams

    Une Bévue Guest

    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <> wrote:

    > In my humble opinion, QtRuby is by a wide margin the best documented
    > Ruby GUI.

    what about X-platform ?

    i want to design over MacOS X and be, as much as possible, X-platform :
    win* and *nix.
    --
    Une Bévue

    Une Bévue, Mar 10, 2007
  15. Yannick Grams

    John Joyce Guest

    You might consider the Dashboard Widgets or Windows Gadgets as a
    medium for a Ruby GUI as well, also incorporating Javascript. There
    are application stub libraries for OS X, and likely the same for
    Windows and Linux. All it means is embedding Ruby into another
    language which handles the GUI and Ruby handles the core logic.
    Possible, happens often with Python or Perl. But no matter which
    approach you take, there is a whole library to learn. Using a web
    browser and a web page as the front end locally could be a much
    faster approach in terms of prototyping. Ruby should be able to make
    any system calls you might make in another language. As for cross-
    platform, success depends on how native the app looks and feels. Fact
    is with a GUI, each platform is different enough that it isn't
    practical to write once and run everywhere, it ends up being like
    Java, write once and debug everywhere.

    John Joyce, Mar 10, 2007
  16. Yannick Grams

    John Joyce Guest

    Actually, Qt has gotten a lot better, and does work on Windows and
    OS X and linux with claimed native look and feel.
    Your mileage may vary and licensing is not free.

    John Joyce, Mar 10, 2007
  17. Yannick Grams

    Caleb Tennis Guest

    > Qt 4 Ruby works on Windows and Linux for sure. I don't know about
    > Macs, though. I think most Mac users prefer native Mac GUIs anyhow,
    > and there is one for Ruby that has a very good reputation. I don't
    > have a Mac, so I've forgotten the name.

    I'm using Qt4 QtRuby on the Mac and Linux wonderfully. I've started
    diving into an attempt to build it on Windows, but honestly, using
    Windows for software development is very frustrating for me.
    However, it certainly is feasible to build and once someone does and
    they share their library or routine for building it, we can safely
    say it's supported there as well.

    Caleb

    Caleb Tennis, Mar 10, 2007
  18. Yannick Grams

    Caleb Tennis Guest

    > I've been learning FXRuby in the last two months, and you really
    > just have to dive in.

    Agreed. FX and FXRuby are indeed great GUI toolkits (this coming
    from a Qt guy). I simply started using Qt LONG before I ever picked
    up Ruby, so QtRuby was a natural marriage for me.

    Your mileage may vary.

    Caleb

    Caleb Tennis, Mar 10, 2007
  19. Reid Thompson, Mar 10, 2007
  20. Yannick Grams

    Lyle Johnson Guest

    On 3/10/07, Yannick Grams <> wrote:

    > I've been playing around with FXRuby, but I find that the tutorial is
    > more of a quick run-through more than a tutorial. It doesn't explain
    > things in enough depth. I've tried Googling for one, but to no effect.
    > Does anybody know of a good tutorial for FXRuby along with a list of
    > classes and methods?

    The lack of tutorial-style documentation is indeed a problem. As far
    as a list of classes and methods, there's some pretty comprehensive
    API documentation at the FXRuby web site. You know, the site that I
    gave you a link to in my previous e-mail.

    Lyle Johnson, Mar 10, 2007