gui

Jerald

Howard said:
I do agree that some kind of standard would be "nice", but who's going to
define it, and what kind of output would it define? Same question regarding
inputs...what would it define? Mice? (Two-button, three-button,
scrolling?) Joysticks? (DIscrete or continuous?) Numeric keypads?
Chinese keyboards? Then there's the operating system model to
consider...the Carbon Events model on Mac OS X is hardly compatible with
polling schemes, or even the Windows event handler model. I for one suggest
we leave such platform-specific stuff to those writing code *for* those
specific platforms, and keep C++ itself "pure" as much as possible.

<stdgui.h> is about user i/o.
it will be a *standard* way that a program will be able to
get input from buttons,readlines,textboxes,radiobuttons.

The problem in defining this library is the vast possibilities
there can be. And that's the challenge for the people who will
design it: resist the tempation and provide a minimal set of
advanced gui. Heck, it can even be done in text mode!

If C#, Java, etc are gaining users that's only because they
have standard gui libraries while in C++ there are dozens
of different guis for each platform. An stdgui would really
''boost'' C++ IMHO

Gerald