Guidance from classic ASP to ASP.NET help needed

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by jm, Jan 20, 2004.

  1. jm

    jm Guest

    I have/had a form for entering new data with a submit button. Works
    great (in .net). Now, I want to populate those same textboxes with
    data from a selected list on another page (from querystring). So, I
    put those textboxes that I used to enter data initially, wrapped with
    a datagrid, and whamo, I can no longer reference textbox.text with
    anything. I figure I just have the whole model on this wrong (was
    used to response.write recordset("column") you know the rest).

    So, I decided to use an example from MSDN with the edititemtemplate.
    It works. I can update,delete,cancel from the datalist they use, but
    I am doing so only for data that, of course, already exists. What if
    it is the initial creation of the record? How do I use this same form
    that lets me view, update, delete, and cancel as an empty form for
    INSERTing data into my database? When I try to simply run the page
    with no data bound to the datalist, nothing renders at all, just blank
    page.

    Here is the example, it is straightforward; I simply replace the in
    memory data with database values. Thank you for any help.

    It is the VB example:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...ontrolsdatalistclassedititemtemplatetopic.asp
    jm, Jan 20, 2004

  2. jm

    j m Guest

    I am beginning to think I need a form with textboxes and all that to
    enter the data and on the same page have the datalist when viewing the
    entered data.

    I could have them visible or invisible depending on what the user is
    doing (Adding or viewing, updating or deleting).

    Is this counter intuitive to the asp.net design?

    Thanks.

    j m, Jan 20, 2004

  3. jm

    jm Guest

    j m <> wrote in message news:<#>...
    > I am beginning to think I need a form with textboxes and all that to
    > enter the data and on the same page have the datalist when viewing the
    > entered data.
    >
    > I could have them visible or invisible depending on what the user is
    > doing (Adding or viewing, updating or deleting).
    >
    > Is this counter intuitive to the asp.net design?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Any wisdom?
    jm, Jan 21, 2004
  4. > > Is this counter intuitive to the asp.net design?

    Not necessarily. The real question is not whether it's good asp.net design,
    but whether it's good application design. And depending on what you're
    putting into the page, and what it all does, it may indeed be good design.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Jan 21, 2004