    - architecture tips to make the api more maintainable, etc

    Many thanks

    Andrew

    Andrew 2006, May 31, 2007

  2. Andrew 2006

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 31 May, 09:58, Andrew 2006 <> wrote:

    > for creating an XML API?

    Don't.

    We've already got generic XML APIs (XML-RPC and SOAP for starters).
    Don't create yet another one.

    If you want to create some schema for exchanging information with XML,
    then do it by defining messages that are passed through one of these
    existing low-level APIs. Don't start re-inventing concepts like
    handshaking.

    If you _must_ re-invent some of this, at least do a literature search
    first and become familiar with how SOAP already solves this (maybe
    even the old 1999 simpler SOAP standards too) and look at XML-RPC for
    a good example of how not to design things and how not to document
    what you've designed afterwards.

    Andy Dingley, May 31, 2007

  3. Andrew 2006

    Andrew 2006 Guest

    > We've already got generic XML APIs (XML-RPC and SOAP for starters).
    > Don't create yet another one.

    I don't think I've explained my question very well and perhaps have
    not used the terms "XML API" and "handshanking" correctly. :)

    I intend to use XML-RPC or SOAP to send and receive messages.

    I want to define a set of XML messages that clients can send to my
    server to perform various functions. To start off with:
    1) Initialising a connection with the server and retrieving a client
    ID from the server.
    2) Retrieving data from the server using this client ID.

    Just want some basic getting started tutorial, which hopefully points
    out common design pitfalls etc.

    Many thanks

    Andrew

    Andrew 2006, May 31, 2007
  4. Andrew 2006 wrote:
    > Just want some basic getting started tutorial, which hopefully points
    > out common design pitfalls etc.

    http://www.ibm.com/xml has 45 different tutorials and articles in the
    SOAP category, ranging from basic to specific applications to specific
    tools and including XML-RPC... and has articles on most of the other XML
    techniques/technologies which underlie and support SOAP, if you need
    those as well (which it sounds like you may).

    Joe Kesselman, May 31, 2007
  5. Andrew 2006 schrieb:
    > Could anyone point me in the direction of some:
    > - guidelines or
    > - recommended standards or
    > - tutorials
    > for creating an XML API?
    >
    > I want to create an API for interacting with a server and would like
    > to know things like:
    > - how to handle handshaking
    > - architecture tips to make the api more maintainable, etc

    Have a look at http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2004/12/01/restful-web.html .
    I can't suggest any books but I have ordered
    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/9780596529260/ .

    The approach is a radically different one but is supposed to lead
    to services that can be consumed much easier, need less documentation
    (basically just the hierarchies) and, most of the time, don't even
    need state keeping via cookies or other mechanisms.

    Lots of Greetings!
    Volker
    --
    For email replies, please substitute the obvious.

    Volker Hetzer, May 31, 2007
  6. Andrew 2006

    Andrew 2006 Guest

    Thanks Volker that's exactly the type of thing I was after!

    Andrew

    Andrew 2006, May 31, 2007