Guido at Google

JB

It seems that our master Guido van Rossum had an offer from google and
he accepted it!!

long life to Guido & Goole ! many things to come ;)

ju²

Fuzzyman

That's potentially very good news. (Or slightly sinister -depending on
your paranoia levels).

You got any references on that ?

I was just thinking that the open source offerings from google are
actually pretty pitiful - considering the time investment they have put
into developing software systems. (Summer of Code not-withstanding of
course).

I wonder if this heralds google finally upgrading from Python 2.2 ;-)

All the best,

Fuzzyman

Harald Armin Massa

It seems that our master Guido van Rossum had an offer from google and
he accepted it!!

Isn't Guido-Sans official title BDFL? *wink*

whatever, if it's true, congratulations and best wishes. Now there is
one *bot and the BDFL at google, we have still 3 bots in the wild, do
we?

Suggesting to name a Rigobot ....

Harald

Alex Martelli

Fuzzyman said:
That's potentially very good news. (Or slightly sinister -depending on
your paranoia levels).

You got any references on that ?

I don't think there was any official announcement, but it's true -- he
sits about 15 meters away from me;-).

I was just thinking that the open source offerings from google are
actually pretty pitiful - considering the time investment they have put
into developing software systems. (Summer of Code not-withstanding of
course).

The key technical person for opensource at Google isn't Guido and isn't
me -- rather, I'd focus on Greg Stein (whose contributions to open
source have been very wide-ranging, and who's been our engineering
manager for opensource for quite a while now... not a secret, you can
read about that on Greg's own blog). If you want more opensource from
us, he's most probably the best person to bug about it!-). I'm sure
that, being the chairman of the Apache Software Foundation (the VP of
the ASF is also a Google employee), he can bend your ears about that;-).

I wonder if this heralds google finally upgrading from Python 2.2 ;-)

We currently use multiple versions of Python, and I personally don't see
that changing overnight. But, we'll see.

Alex

Fuzzyman

Alex said:
I don't think there was any official announcement, but it's true -- he
sits about 15 meters away from me;-).

Cool - pass on my regards and thanks to him. ;-)
The key technical person for opensource at Google isn't Guido and isn't
me -- rather, I'd focus on Greg Stein (whose contributions to open
source have been very wide-ranging, and who's been our engineering
manager for opensource for quite a while now... not a secret, you can
read about that on Greg's own blog). If you want more opensource from
us, he's most probably the best person to bug about it!-). I'm sure
that, being the chairman of the Apache Software Foundation (the VP of
the ASF is also a Google employee), he can bend your ears about that;-).

Well, employing key open-source personnel and supporting them in their
work *probably* counts as helping the open-source world.

OTOH they (you...) must have worked on/with tremendous systems - like
load balancing software as one example off the top of my head. I guess
these are the competitive edge of google - and also there is a lot of
work turning in house systems into 'released' ones, even if the will is
there.

Even so - the code that has been directly released by google is
relatively slender.
We currently use multiple versions of Python, and I personally don't see
that changing overnight. But, we'll see.

I've no axe to grind on that one.

All the best,

Fuzzyman

Nicola Musatti

Alex said:
I don't think there was any official announcement, but it's true -- he
sits about 15 meters away from me;-).

Tsk, tsk, all that brainpower sitting so close together. That's not the
way to do risk management! I think you should suggest scattering
resources worldwide... now, it just so happens that there's an empty
five floor building a block and a half from my home...

By the way, I hear that you've become collegues also with Matt Austern,
formerly of Apple, and Danny Thorpe, formerly of Borland. I guess we
mere mortals don't stand a chance of being hired, but if the trend
continues there are going to be a lot of very interesting positions
opening everywhere else :)

Cheers,
Nicola Musatti

rbt

Alex said:
I don't think there was any official announcement, but it's true -- he
sits about 15 meters away from me;-).

For Americans: 15 meters is roughly 50 feet.

Kamilche

Well, congrats to Google! I think they're the lucky ones, to get him,
and you, both. :)

Rocco Moretti

Jack said:
Right, so that is about three and a half stone?

Stone is a measure of weight, not distance. (14 pounds, ~6.35 kg)

15 meters (150 decimeter, 1500 cm, etc ...)
590 inches
49 feet
16 yards
0.0093 miles
0.008 nautical miles
3 rods
0.075 furlongs
1800 barleycorns
147.63 hands
66 spans
33 cubits
13 ells
8.2 fathoms
75 links
0.75 chains
0.0027 leauges
0.03 li
0.081 stadia
4.8e-16 parsecs
1e-10 astronomical units
5e-8 lightseconds
2.8e11 Bohr radiuses
9.2e35 Plank lenghts

and probably most appropriately (being dutch):

1.5 roede

In other words "a stone's throw away".

Gerard Flanagan

Rocco said:
Stone is a measure of weight, not distance. (14 pounds, ~6.35 kg)

No, _meters_ are a measure of weight.

15 meters (150 decimeter, 1500 cm, etc ...)
590 inches
49 feet
147.63 hands
900.7 fingers
1150.64 toes
~3.5 stone

qed

geddit?

Dave Hansen

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 16:14:16 -0600 in comp.lang.python, Rocco Moretti

[...]
[...]

You forgot

8.81419673 smoots

Regards,

-=Dave

Bengt Richter

Google can do that too, of course. <wink>

http://www.google.com/search?q=convert+15+meters+to+feet

(49.2125984 feet to be more precise)
Actually that looks like it's based on the approximation
of 25.4 mm/inch, whereas I believe the legally defined US conversion
is 39.3700 inches/meter. They're close. British is 39.3701 for some reason.
At least according to my dusty 37th Edition Handbook of Chemistry and Physics (c) 1955.
Maybe things have changed since then ;-)
49.212598425196852

Appears to be the google number

But the official conversion
25.400050800101603

is not _exactly_ 25.4 mm/inch
so the distance from Martellibot to BDFL should
more exactly be
49.212499999999999

Send bug report to google ;-)

Regards,
Bengt Richter

nnorwitz

Nicola said:
By the way, I hear that you've become collegues also with Matt Austern,
formerly of Apple, and Danny Thorpe, formerly of Borland. I guess we
mere mortals don't stand a chance of being hired, but if the trend
continues there are going to be a lot of very interesting positions
opening everywhere else :)

Ha! I'm still trying to figure out who let me in. Everyone has some
chance.
Of course, I'm going on vacation next week and there was talk
about a one-way ticket to Mexico.

The real question is will they let me *back* in? :)

Greg Stein

Yeah... we recognize that we could certainly open-source more of our
software. While we've released some stuff
(code.google.com/projects.html), there is a LOT more that we want to
do. Getting engineers' 20% time to do that has been difficult.
Thankfully, we know how to fix that and got the okay/headcount to make
it happen. (IOW, it isn't a lack of desire, but making it happen)

But even if we haven't been able to open-source as much code as we'd
like, we *have* been trying to be very supportive of the community.
Between the Summer of Code and direct cash contributions, we've
provided a LOT of support to a large number of open source
organizations.

And we have a couple other ideas on how to help the open source
community. We're working on it!

Cheers,
-g

Peter Hansen

Bengt Richter wrote:
[roughly "an inch is not exactly 25.4mm"]
At least according to my dusty 37th Edition Handbook of Chemistry and Physics (c) 1955.
Maybe things have changed since then ;-)

Wikipedia concurs with Jim, though it says the official change dates
from 1958.

Better throw that old book out, as it's also likely to be missing any
reference to useful elements such as Lawrencium (1961), and Hassium
(1984), not to mention Ununnilium, Ununumium and Ununbium (94, 94, 96
respectively) or the most recently discovered element, which the PSU
tried to supp