Guild of Python consultants?

Miklós P

Hello freelancers out there,

Is there such a thing somewhere? Yes, I'm aware of the Python Business
Forum. But I mean something specifically for (individual) consultants.
By searching on Google, I couldn't find a "virtual guild" of consultants who
try to make a living from Python and technologies built around it (like
Zope, Plone, etc.)
I'm thinking of providing mutual marketing help like a webring, passing info
about projects and clients, discussing business related issues and technical
issues in deploying Python in the enterprise, etc.

Any thoughts?

Best,
Miklós
---
Jegenye 2001 Bt.
Egyedi szoftverkészítés, tanácsadás | Custom software development,
consulting
Magyarul: http://jegenye2001.parkhosting.com
In English: http://jegenye2001.parkhosting.com/en

Peter Hansen

Miklós P said:
Hello freelancers out there,

Is there such a thing somewhere? Yes, I'm aware of the Python Business
Forum. But I mean something specifically for (individual) consultants.
By searching on Google, I couldn't find a "virtual guild" of consultants who
try to make a living from Python and technologies built around it

The term "consultant" means different things to different people,
unfortunately.

I know of many people for whom "consultant" is synonymous with
"contract programmer", meaning somebody who looks for temporary
positions at (usually) an hourly rate somewhat higher than what
a permanent employee gets (but without benefits), and who simply
joins a team as a regular member, doing whatever they are told.
Some have special expertise, many do not.

I also know of many people (myself included) who restrict the term
to those who have a deep expertise in one or more areas and who
look for projects where they can be brought in to apply that
expertise, usually by telling the customer what to do (or what
not to do any more, perhaps). This sort of work can be hourly,
or quite often daily or even at a fixed price (say, for specialized
"emergency" troubleshooting, or for a design task).

There is obviously overlap between those two descriptions but,
in my experience, very little overlap between the sorts of work
which those two breeds of "consultants" actually want to perform.
(The second type will take on jobs that the former would take,
often grudgingly if work is scarce, while the former are rarely
qualified to take on the sort of work that interests the latter.)

As a result, I suspect that any organization that doesn't make it
clear which type of "consultant" is involved could cause a great
deal of confusion amongst its members and their clients.

Which type do you mean?

-Peter

Miklós P

I also know of many people (myself included) who restrict the term
to those who have a deep expertise in one or more areas and who
look for projects where they can be brought in to apply that
expertise, usually by telling the customer what to do (or what
not to do any more, perhaps). This sort of work can be hourly,
or quite often daily or even at a fixed price (say, for specialized
"emergency" troubleshooting, or for a design task).

(The second type will take on jobs that the former would take,
often grudgingly if work is scarce, while the former are rarely
qualified to take on the sort of work that interests the latter.)
Which type do you mean?

Well, I consider myself a consultant of the second kind. Using Python for
maths/stats (often meaning decision support systems) or science related
custom software is what I prefer to do .. But I also tend to enjoy
"firefighting" web projects because they pay well and they are never
boring.. rather on the contrary.. :)

....and I second what you said in parenthesis.
So my interest follows.

Though one could surely have two divisions of a huge guild. :))

Best,
Miklós