...gulp...ummm... is Perl6 deceased ?

stuseven

+ Since sometime two or three years ago, when the
big rage was discussing Perl6... I've been looking at the
Perl6 websites... and my question relates to this.

On the dev.perl.org site, where the column, "This week in Perl"
appears... there are no new postings listed since 16 months ago...
this to me is a somewhat familiar site on Sourceforge, where new
programs frequently stop development after an initial release...
but I wouldnt expect this of Perl.

... is it so... could perl development have stopped ? Or this a
misperception... perhaps it is the dev.perl.org site which is
defunct,
and not perl6 ?

Hey... I am all for it... but perl5 is fine with me :)

Michele Dondi

... is it so... could perl development have stopped ? Or this a
misperception... perhaps it is the dev.perl.org site which is
defunct,
and not perl6 ?

Well, first of all let me point out that questions like yours tend to
arise quite frequently, often in the form of actual rants... and yes:
Perl 6 development has been somewhat slow and even seemingly sleeping
for some time, but it is now more active than ever on multiple fronts;
especially after the additional momentum it gained out of Audrey's
pugs.

See e.g. <http://perlmonks.org/?node_id=614624> for a thorough and
thoughtful discussion about what's *perceived* to be wrong with Perl 6
and counter arguments, including some precious interventions by $Larry
(in disguise).

Michele

Michele Dondi

On the dev.perl.org site, where the column, "This week in Perl"
appears... there are no new postings listed since 16 months ago...
this to me is a somewhat familiar site on Sourceforge, where new
programs frequently stop development after an initial release...
but I wouldnt expect this of Perl.

Oh, and I forgot... the summaries of p6* ml's - along with other
interesting material, are regularly posted to <http://use.perl.org/>.

Sorry for the double posting,
Michele

stuseven

+ OK then peeps... thanks for answering... as I say,
Id been checking periodically for the perl6 release for
many quarters... glad to see the project is progressing,
however slowly.