GURU NEEDED : break a command into several lines and comment each line

bolega

Basically, I have spent a few hours experimenting and searching on the
comp.unix.shell

how to break a command with several switches into more than one line
AND to be able to put some comment on each line.

#!/bin/bash -xv

command \ # comment1
-sw1 \ # comment2
-sw2 \ # comment3
arguments

One ought to be able to comment every single switch if desired for
whatever reason.

Bolega

Berthold Höllmann

bolega said:
Basically, I have spent a few hours experimenting and searching on the
comp.unix.shell

how to break a command with several switches into more than one line
AND to be able to put some comment on each line.

#!/bin/bash -xv

command \ # comment1
-sw1 \ # comment2
-sw2 \ # comment3
arguments

How about

-----------
#!/bin/bash -xv

COMMAND=command # comment1
COMMAND=$COMMAND -sw1 \ # comment2
COMMAND=$COMMAND -sw2 \ # comment3
COMMAND=$COMMAND arguments

$COMMAND
---------
?

Regards
Berthold

--
A: Weil es die Lesbarkeit des Textes verschlechtert.
F: Warum ist TOFU so schlimm?

Chris Rebert

Basically, I have spent a few hours experimenting and searching on the
comp.unix.shell

how to break a command with several switches into more than one line
AND to be able to put some comment on each line.

#!/bin/bash -xv

command       \ # comment1
        -sw1 \ # comment2
        -sw2 \ # comment3
        arguments

One ought to be able to comment every single switch if desired for
whatever reason.

This doesn't seem to have anything whatsoever to do with Python...

Regards,
Chris

David W. Hodgins

how to break a command with several switches into more than one line
AND to be able to put some comment on each line.
command \ # comment1
-sw1 \ # comment2

Not what you want to hear, but that will not work. With the above,
the backslash is being used to escape the following space, rather
then a newline, as is required to continue the line. Even if it
were to work that way, would the next line be considered a continuation
of the command, or of the comment?

Your stuck with

command \
-sw1
# comment1
# comment2

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Steven D'Aprano

Basically, I have spent a few hours experimenting and searching on the
comp.unix.shell
[...]
This doesn't seem to have anything whatsoever to do with Python...

Well, I launch Python scripts from the shell, so there's your connection.

*wink*