gwt, qooxdoo - framework choice for a C++ && apache application

Lawrence

Hello all!

I work for a company as a Java/C++ developer and we currently have a
hand-crafted web application.

The way is done is this :
Apache + a C++ module that handles the calls
Some template XHTML files with placeholders
hand crafted javascript and css (ajax, etc)

It works, though not optimally.
The problem is that the dev that did this tested it only with IE6.
We refactored a big deal to get it to work on Firefox and Safari, and
let's say that respectively 90% and 80% of the functionality works,
though with a bit of difference in layout.

The problem is that both IE7 and IE8 are borked.Completely. Its hard
to maintain.
Nobody here is a web developer, I can modify here and there some
javascript, html and css but is not my bread.

So I'm investigating the framework way .. rewriting entirely the
"presentation" but leaving
most of the server side c++ untouched.

The server side produces some bits here and there (like tables and
stuff) which for the time being I would like to keep this way, and
eventually refactor at a later time.

I've did a hello world in both qooxdoo and gwt.
However, I still can't decide, and not many people on the net have a
configuration similar to the one we have here.

Any advice ? Which one would you use in my position and why ?
Also, I heard about qwt. Very interesting, but I don't have any java
server side.
Server side, I have only my ad hoc C++ in the apache module.

Cheers,

Lawrence

Lawrence

Apologies for double - no triple - message, I'm posting via google
groups and it timed out few times.

koen.deforche

Hey Lawrence,

Nobody here is a web developer, I can modify here and there some
javascript, html and css but is not my bread.

So I'm investigating the framework way .. rewriting entirely the
"presentation" but leaving
most of the server side c++ untouched.

It sounds like Wt might be the way to go for you?
See http://www.webtoolkit.eu/wt

It is server-side web-based widget GUI library, C++, and cross-
browser.
You can deploy it using FastCGI (within Apache), or standalone (using
a built-in httpd), or behind a reverse proxy (e.g. Apache using
mod_proxy).

Regards,
koen