h tag problem

richard

www.1littleworld.net/sample/

how does one properly add a second line to an h tag?
because the script uses the <h3> tag for creating the accordion sections, I
want to have a second line in that section as I show it now.

But the validator says that a <p> is not permitted inside the tags.
Is it even possible to do and make the validator happy?

Another issue I have, word wrapping.
Text inside the division is not conforming to the width of the container.
Instead, it just keeps on going on one line.
How do I correct that? Overflow:hidden does not work.

Also, another gripe with the validator.
According to the errors listing, one is not permitted to use "ul" in text
because that is a tag designator.
WTF? A tag is designated by <>. NOT what is inside the <>.
But I can say "html" and not get an error?
yeah right.

<begin the bashing>

Gene Wirchenko

www.1littleworld.net/sample/

how does one properly add a second line to an h tag?
because the script uses the <h3> tag for creating the accordion sections, I
want to have a second line in that section as I show it now.

But the validator says that a <p> is not permitted inside the tags.
Is it even possible to do and make the validator happy?

What about <br>?

[snip]

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

richard said:
Also, another gripe with the validator. According to the errors listing,
one is not permitted to use "ul" in text because that is a tag
designator. WTF? A tag is designated by <>. NOT what is inside the <>.
But I can say "html" and not get an error? yeah right.

The validator tells you exactly what the error is.

"The character may appear on your browser as a curly quote, or a
trademark symbol, or some other fancy glyph; ..."

There are curly quotes around the letters "ul". Don't use them; use
standard double-quote marks instead.

Further, the page itself says:

"This script is provided as-is with no warranty or guarantee. It is
available at no cost for any project, non-commercial or commercial. Paid
support is available by clicking here"
<begin the bashing>

Why are you still using Transitional for new work? Use Strict.

dorayme

richard said:
www.1littleworld.net/sample/

how does one properly add a second line to an h tag?
because the script uses the <h3> tag for creating the accordion sections, I
want to have a second line in that section as I show it now.

But the validator says that a <p> is not permitted inside the tags.
Is it even possible to do and make the validator happy?

<h3>"A" Team / An Empty Glass<br><span class="blue">SSgt Barry
Sadler</span></h3>

(Even if the Validator said it was OK to put a P there, would you
still do it? I wouldn't. Let's face it, SSgt Barry's name is hardly a
paragraph.)

Another issue I have, word wrapping.
Text inside the division is not conforming to the width of the container.
Instead, it just keeps on going on one line.
How do I correct that? Overflow:hidden does not work.

You can instead use overflow: auto; to help viewers with larger text
sizes. Or mybe even better, design so that the "division" expands with
the ems required.
Also, another gripe with the validator.

Which one?
According to the errors listing, one is not permitted to use "ul" in text
because that is a tag designator.
WTF? A tag is designated by <>. NOT what is inside the <>.
But I can say "html" and not get an error?
yeah right.

<begin the bashing>

I look around and see no nicely balanced bit of gal piping, too early
in the morning to use my bare hands. So, I will pass on this and just
continue sipping my cup of tea in a civilised way.

Why don't you say offer your validator some little concession and see
if it puts it in a better mood? Some easy thing like say putting in an
alt attribute in img elements. You need to negotiate with validators,
they have moods just like all of us.

[...]

Solved the issue more or less.
Removed the P tag and placed it just under the h3 tag.
Color coding the p same as the h3 and you don't really notice the
difference.
Since the script causes the next section to show, the p tag remains in
place as intended.

richard

Not like this on the inside:
<h3>"A" Team / An Empty Glass <p class="blue">SSgt Barry Sadler</p></h3>

It go like this on the outside:::

Which would result in a single line of text and the name would be the same
color as the h3 tag.

richard

<h3>"A" Team / An Empty Glass<br><span class="blue">SSgt Barry
Sadler</span></h3>

(Even if the Validator said it was OK to put a P there, would you
still do it? I wouldn't. Let's face it, SSgt Barry's name is hardly a
paragraph.)

Tried that as well with the same errors.
I use <p> like a div. Because of the formatting properties.
Which helps in avoiding to use excessive br's.

ian.rastall

If you want two lines in a header said:
But the validator says that a
is not permitted inside the tags.
Is it even possible to do and make the validator happy?

The most useful thing about the validator is that it gives you an indication of where your code should be headed. The problem is, there is no validator that can tell you how search-engine friendly your content is. In this case, it just isn't. It's wrapped in tags that don't relate to the content, and nested deep in the same way.

I used accordion menus when I messed with Dreamweaver a few years ago. It ended up just being a frustrating experience. I would suggest you look at ways of describing and organizing your content that a computer can understand, as well as a vision-impaired user, for instance. It has the side effect of looking good in search engines (which, in their own way, are both computers and vision-impaired users).

Hope you're well.

dorayme

richard said:
Tried that as well with the same errors.
I use <p> like a div. Because of the formatting properties.
Which helps in avoiding to use excessive br's.

You can't get the same error about the P in respect to my suggestion
because there is no P in the suggestion.

As for formatting, you can get whatever you want with either *a
variation* of your mark-up, to wit:

<h3>...</h3>

and styling the P suitably

Or you can use my suggestion and style the span suitably. If it is a
bit more vertical space you want between the lines, try

<h3 style="float: left">"A" Team / An Empty Glass<br><span
class="blue">SSgt Barry
Sadler</span></h3>

or

<h3 style="float: left">"A" Team / An Empty Glass<div
class="blue">SSgt Barry
Sadler</div></h3>

with either

h3 span {display: block; margin-top: .4em;}

and you *can* leave out the BR (but better not in case CSS is off)

or, respectively,

h3 div {margin-top: .4em;}

Jonathan N. Little

Not like this on the inside:
<h3>"A" Team / An Empty Glass <p class="blue">SSgt Barry Sadler</p></h3>

It go like this on the outside:::

Except that is not valid either:

<!ELEMENT P - O (%inline;)* -- paragraph -->

<http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/text.html#edef-P>

H3 is not an *inline* element. The BR element suggestion would work...

dorayme

dorayme said:
<h3 style="float: left">"A" Team / An Empty Glass<div
class="blue">SSgt Barry
Sadler</div></h3>

with either

h3 span {display: block; margin-top: .4em;}

and you *can* leave out the BR (but better not in case CSS is off)

or, respectively,

h3 div {margin-top: .4em;}

Oops, quite wrong, that should have been more like:

<h3 style="float: left">"A" Team / An Empty Glass</h3>

with

div {margin-top: .4em;}

Sorry about that, too hasty of me...

But my other suggestion with the span is the way to go imo, especially
if you think the whole is a heading of third level status.

Captain Paralytic

Tried that as well with the same errors.
I use <p> like a div. Because of the formatting properties.
Which helps in avoiding to use excessive br's.

So you misuse tags to fit your own propriety "standards" and then
whinge about the fact that validators that enforce the real standards
don't match your invention!

Priceless!!!!!

Denis McMahon

how does one properly add a second line to an h tag? because the script
uses the <h3> tag for creating the accordion sections, I want to have a
second line in that section as I show it now.

To insert a line break inside a block element, sane and normal html
But the validator says that a <p> is not permitted inside the tags. Is
it even possible to do and make the validator happy?

Of course <p></p> is not allowed inside <hN></hN>, just as <p></p> is not
allowed inside <p></p>, and <hN></hN> is not allowed inside <hN></hN>,
and <hN></hN> is not allowed inside <p></p>.

<hN></hN> delineates a header, which is a type of paragraph. Hence, it
can be used wherever a <p></p> can be used, and it can contain anything
that a said:
Also, another gripe with the validator. According to the errors listing,
one is not permitted to use "ul" in text because that is a tag
designator.

Please post a url that demonstrates this.

Here is one that disproves your assertion, and also demonstrates the use
of <br> inside <hN></hN>:

http://www.sined.co.uk/tmp/omfg.htm

Rgds

Denis McMahon

Gene Wirchenko

[snip]
Tried that as well with the same errors.
I use <p> like a div. Because of the formatting properties.
Which helps in avoiding to use excessive br's.

I had no idea that there was a limit.

More <br> tags for the rest of us.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

richard

[snip]
Tried that as well with the same errors.
I use <p> like a div. Because of the formatting properties.
Which helps in avoiding to use excessive br's.

I had no idea that there was a limit.

More <br> tags for the rest of us.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

well yeah there is kind of. when you run out of memory you've reached the
limit.

Denis McMahon

well yeah there is kind of. when you run out of memory you've reached
the limit.

If you're hitting a memory limit in a browser with <br> tags, using more
sets of <p></p> isn't going to fix it.

Instead of making html up as you go along (are you sure you're not aka
darkman aka hot-text) why don't you try using the same definitions as the
rest of us.

Although that would make the group less amusing to read, it might save
some keyboards and screens from being covered in coffee splutters at the
latest examples of your idiocy.

Rgds

Denis McMahon