<H3> <H4>

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Luigi Donatello Asero, Oct 19, 2003.

  1. Hi!
    On the page http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/valkommen.html
    I have used <h1> <h2> and <h3>.
    Now I have some titles
    such as "Italiensk design" and "Svensk design" which are subclasses of
    "Distansförsäljning av presentartiklar för heminredning" (which is a
    subclass of " Välkommen till Scaiecat Spa Gigi!")

    and titles such as
    "Sidor om italiensk keramik"
    "Sidor om italienska glasartiklar för heminredning" which are subclasses of

    "Sidor om italiensk keramik" (where I use <h3>)

    and I wonder whether it would be better to use <h4> or just <h3> for titles
    such as "Sidor om italiensk keramik"
    "Sidor om italienska glasartiklar för heminredning"
    because you usually have <h2> and <h3> as subclasses don´t you?

    --
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/it/traduzioni.html
    Luigi Donatello Asero, Oct 19, 2003

  2. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Luigi Donatello Asero"
    <> writing in

    > Hi!
    > On the page http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/valkommen.html
    > I have used <h1> <h2> and <h3>.
    > Now I have some titles
    > such as "Italiensk design" and "Svensk design" which are subclasses of
    > "Distansförsäljning av presentartiklar för heminredning" (which is a
    > subclass of " Välkommen till Scaiecat Spa Gigi!")
    >
    > and titles such as
    > "Sidor om italiensk keramik"
    > "Sidor om italienska glasartiklar för heminredning" which are
    > subclasses of
    >
    > "Sidor om italiensk keramik" (where I use <h3>)
    >
    > and I wonder whether it would be better to use <h4> or just <h3> for
    > titles such as "Sidor om italiensk keramik"
    > "Sidor om italienska glasartiklar för heminredning"
    > because you usually have <h2> and <h3> as subclasses don´t you?

    Use the H1-H6 elements in order of their importance, not for visual
    presentation.

    H1 - most important - use it for page titles
    H2 - second in importance - use to title sections
    H3 - third in importance - use to title subsections of H2

    Hint: run the page through the validator at http://validator.w3.org and
    turn on the Outline option. You will see if your document is using the H1-
    H6 elements correctly. See an example: http://tinyurl.com/rhbj

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com
    Adrienne, Oct 19, 2003

  3. "Adrienne" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Luigi Donatello Asero"
    > <> writing in
    >
    > > Hi!
    > > On the page http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/valkommen.html
    > > I have used <h1> <h2> and <h3>.
    > > Now I have some titles
    > > such as "Italiensk design" and "Svensk design" which are subclasses of
    > > "Distansförsäljning av presentartiklar för heminredning" (which is a
    > > subclass of " Välkommen till Scaiecat Spa Gigi!")
    > >
    > > and titles such as
    > > "Sidor om italiensk keramik"
    > > "Sidor om italienska glasartiklar för heminredning" which are
    > > subclasses of
    > >
    > > "Sidor om italiensk keramik" (where I use <h3>)
    > >
    > > and I wonder whether it would be better to use <h4> or just <h3> for
    > > titles such as "Sidor om italiensk keramik"
    > > "Sidor om italienska glasartiklar för heminredning"
    > > because you usually have <h2> and <h3> as subclasses don´t you?
    > >

    > Use the H1-H6 elements in order of their importance, not for visual
    > presentation.
    >
    > H1 - most important - use it for page titles
    > H2 - second in importance - use to title sections
    > H3 - third in importance - use to title subsections of H2

    I already use the H1-H6 in order of their importance ( see example above
    even if you perhaps do not understand what the titles mean)!
    The question was another: I think I have read that it is usual to use only
    the the first three, that means H1, H2 and H3 and not the others.
    But I have
    1) a main title
    2) titles which are subclasses of the main title
    3) titles which are subclasses of the subclasses which I mentioned on 2)
    4) titles which are subclasses of what I mentioned in 3)

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Oct 19, 2003
  4. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > The question was another: I think I have read that it is usual to use only
    > the the first three, that means H1, H2 and H3 and not the others.

    It is usual not to use <h4> to <h6> because pages don't usually have
    sub-sub-sub-headings.

    If a page *has* got sub-sub-sub-headings, then by all means, use <h4>.

    If a page has sub-sub-sub-sub-headings, then feel free to use <h5>.

    If a page has sub-sub-sub-sub-sub-headings, then use <h6>, but if you're
    going into that level of detail, you may want to think about splitting
    your document up into several pages and then "promoting" the headings on
    each.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Oct 19, 2003