Ha! They come back cryin'

Harlan Messinger

Paul said:
I use dreamweaver and handcode. Does it bother the visitor ? No. Do
they care ? No.

I'm confused. Relevance to your previous question and my response?

Paul B

I'm confused. Relevance to your previous question and my response?

You're confused ?
I took it that you were saying that cos it is dreamweaver that there
must be errors.

Borek

My site was made 3 years ago. Self taught and over 6000 pages. It is
used a lot by schools etc, which don't always have the latest browser
etc. I've no need to have it as strict, php, cms or any other fancy
new idea.
It works, why break it ?
At least my site will carry on working - THAT'S what matters.

What about BW? (gives a slight cough ;)

Borek

Harlan Messinger

Paul said:
Then he is wrong. Dreamweaver doesn't put in errors, inexperienced
users do. ~larger sigh~

If Dreamweaver generates code, and the code has errors, and the user
doesn't do any of the HTML coding on its own, then that means that
Dreamweaver generates erroneous code, and the skill level of the user
has nothing to do with it. If your point is that an experienced,
HTML-savvy user winds up with good code because he fixes whatever is
wrong with the code that Dreamweaver generates, that doesn't alter the
fact that Dreamweaver generates erroneous code.

Harlan Messinger

Paul said:
My site was made 3 years ago. Self taught and over 6000 pages. It is
used a lot by schools etc, which don't always have the latest browser
etc. I've no need to have it as strict, php, cms or any other fancy
new idea.
It works, why break it ?
At least my site will carry on working - THAT'S what matters.

It will? How do you know? If you'd had pages with LAYER tags back when,
and they'd worked just fine in Netscape 4, and you made the same
comment, you'd have been sorry.

Paul B

What about BW? (gives a slight cough ;)

I have a 1000's of images on the site. I have visitors that have
stayed on the site for 9 hours.
Popular sites will use a lot of b/w ;)

Jezsta Web Productions

My site was made 3 years ago. Self taught and over 6000 pages. It is
used a lot by schools etc, which don't always have the latest browser
etc. I've no need to have it as strict, php, cms or any other fancy
new idea.
It works, why break it ?
At least my site will carry on working - THAT'S what matters.

What about BW? (gives a slight cough ;)

Right now he has a great deal of allowable BW as long as it is his site
doing the using.:) If his hosting can see it in time then the site won't
drop off line if she is in a good mood. He has a very good hosting
provider.:)

Stacey

Paul B

It will? How do you know? If you'd had pages with LAYER tags back when,
and they'd worked just fine in Netscape 4, and you made the same
comment, you'd have been sorry.

I use what I know will work. Never used layer tags. :p

Paul B

If Dreamweaver generates code, and the code has errors, and the user
doesn't do any of the HTML coding on its own, then that means that
Dreamweaver generates erroneous code, and the skill level of the user
has nothing to do with it. If your point is that an experienced,
HTML-savvy user winds up with good code because he fixes whatever is
wrong with the code that Dreamweaver generates, that doesn't alter the
fact that Dreamweaver generates erroneous code.

Or, it could mean that the user did something wrong for DW to put in
the errors. :p

Borek

I have a 1000's of images on the site. I have visitors that have
stayed on the site for 9 hours.
Popular sites will use a lot of b/w ;)

Are you planning to start a political career? You have changed the subject
and avoided answer without hesitation :p

Borek

Rik

Paul B said:
News==----
http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
120,000+ Newsgroups
=----

Could you perhaps use a sig seperator? Real newsreaders thank you.

Paul B

Are you planning to start a political career? You have changed the subject
and avoided answer without hesitation :p

I did not have sexual relations with my website. ;)

Paul B

What about BW? (gives a slight cough ;)

Right now he has a great deal of allowable BW as long as it is his site
doing the using.:)

And those darn hotlinkers didn't help with pushing up the b/w

tonnie

Rik schreef:
Hmmmz, a CMS is a real time-saver. Teaching a client HTML, billed by the
hour, quickly becomes very expensive. Also, it would mean a lot of
'helpdesking' for them, you can just count on the fact that they will
call for every little problem they don't know how to solve.

Most of my clients have better things to do then to learn HTML, but
still want to be able to change content themselves.

Nonsense, the time spent on teaching them how to handle the cms is
wasted time, especially if one uses it for a small site like the one in
the example.

I do teach my clients how to use a few elements, copy and paste, where
they have to put what and how to upload it. Thats it, it aint no rocket
science.

Don't try to make your client believe it is, just because you want to
make it yourself easy and earn quick bucks.

Using a cms system for a small site like the one in the example is
completely ridiculous, period.

Ed Mullen

Rik said:
Could you perhaps use a sig seperator? Real newsreaders thank you.

--Rik Wasmus
Posted on Usenet, not any forum you might see this in.
Ask Smart Questions: http://tinyurl.com/anel

Err, uh, Rik? *Your* sig appears above because the sig separator needs
a space and a carriage return after it. As in mine below. ;-)

tonnie

Harlan Messinger schreef:
It will? How do you know? If you'd had pages with LAYER tags back when,
and they'd worked just fine in Netscape 4, and you made the same
comment, you'd have been sorry.

He made his site in Transitional for crying out loud. Not in some
Chinese obscure dialect.

All the modern browsers support it and will for years to come. So why
bitch about it?

Or are you going to rebuild his entire site out of 6000 pages for him?

No you aren't.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Err, uh, Rik? *Your* sig appears above because the sig separator needs
a space and a carriage return after it. As in mine below. ;-)

I see a space in Rik's sig-sep, but viewing the source (raw) of his
post, there is an equal sign following that space. <g> Perhaps an
anomaly of Opera?

Rik

tonnie said:
Rik schreef:

Nonsense, the time spent on teaching them how to handle the cms is
wasted time, especially if one uses it for a small site like the one in
the example.

For this example, maybe. I don't use the big CMS's, but a customizable one
of my own making. Exactly everything they need with a very intuitive
interface (allthough I have documentation there's no client that actually
asked for this, they see the interface and know what to do). Every
configruation/option they don't require is hidden or hardcoded to avoid
confusion. Should they require it in the future I'm happy to give them
access the options at no cost offcourse, it's all about having a
user-friendly back-end.
I do teach my clients how to use a few elements, copy and paste, where
they have to put what and how to upload it. Thats it, it aint no rocket
science.
Don't try to make your client believe it is, just because you want to
make it yourself easy and earn quick bucks.

Highly dependable on the client. Having a CMS for the less savvy user is
cheaper for most. I'll bill by the hour if I have to explain HTML to them.
Using a cms system for a small site like the one in the example is
completely ridiculous, period.

Depends on how you use the CMS, and what is actuallyt customisable in it.
I rather like having a CMS for my own site, which saves me the headache of
creating new files/directories if I not only want to change pagecontent
but the hierarchy or change/add/remove pages. A few simple clicks and the
new files are ready, instead of me manually creating them, uploading them,
etc.

I do agree however that this is not a page which should be build on the
fly again and again. They're mainly static, so the CMS should just write
to files.