Handling Back etc.

David Crone

I was wondering if anyone knew what the recommended way is to handle Back clicks, as well as Refresh clicks by users for advanced ASP.NET sites
I have a site that has a set of information that can be edited on one page, but when a certain action is taken, the user mustn't be able to go back and change details etc!
Basically, this is an advanced Timesheet application...when someone enters some hours and clicks Submit, then they are allowed to View the timesheet, but cant Add or Edit items. I've effectively blocked all Back requests, but this makes the site very un-user friendly!! I want the site to evaluate certain things, and allow the user to click back, and to redirect to another page or change the State of the page (to View Only from Edit if the person was on Edit mode previously for example)
I don't mind if the site isn't lightening-quick with the Back requests, as I understand that the page needs to go back to the srever if I want things to be evaluated.
I'm sure there must be an Accepted Recommended procedure with handling this, but I haven't found it!

Can anyone help me
As it stands, I have the following code included in the Form of each page, and it Blocks the back fine, but isn't optimal!

<
Response.ExpiresAbsolute = Now(
Response.Expires =
Response.CacheControl = "no-cache
Response.Buffer = Tru
Response.Cache.SetCacheability(HttpCacheability.NoCache
Response.Cache.SetExpires (DateTime.UtcNow
Response.Cache.SetNoStore(
Response.Cache.SetRevalidation(HttpCacheRevalidation.AllCaches
%

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advanc
David Crone

Bob Barrows [MVP]

David said:
Hi

I was wondering if anyone knew what the recommended way is to handle
Back clicks, as well as Refresh clicks by users for advanced ASP.NET
sites?

This is a classic asp newsgroup. While you may be lucky enough to find a
dotnet-savvy person here who can answer your question, you can eliminate the
luck factor by posting your question to an appropriate group. I suggest

I suspect that this might apply to dotnet as well as classic asp:
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2017

Bob Barrows