Handling Backs etc.

Guest

I was wondering if anyone knew what the recommended way is to handle Back clicks, as well as Refresh clicks by users for advanced ASP.NET sites
I have a site that has a set of information that can be edited on one page, but when a certain action is taken, the user mustn't be able to go back and change details etc!
Basically, this is an advanced Timesheet application...when someone enters some hours and clicks Submit, then they are allowed to View the timesheet, but cant Add or Edit items. I've effectively blocked all Back requests, but this makes the site very un-user friendly!! I want the site to evaluate certain things, and allow the user to click back, and to redirect to another page or change the State of the page (to View Only from Edit if the person was on Edit mode previously for example)
I don't mind if the site isn't lightening-quick with the Back requests, as I understand that the page needs to go back to the srever if I want things to be evaluated.
I'm sure there must be an Accepted Recommended procedure with handling this, but I haven't found it!

Can anyone help me
As it stands, I have the following code included in the Form of each page, and it Blocks the back fine, but isn't optimal!

<
Response.ExpiresAbsolute = Now(
Response.Expires =
Response.CacheControl = "no-cache
Response.Buffer = Tru
Response.Cache.SetCacheability(HttpCacheability.NoCache
Response.Cache.SetExpires (DateTime.UtcNow
Response.Cache.SetNoStore(
Response.Cache.SetRevalidation(HttpCacheRevalidation.AllCaches
%

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advanc
David Crone

James Hancock

I would just put something in either a cookie or the session saying that it
was there, and if that exists, redirect before the page is displayed....

James Hancock

David Crone

Hi James

The only problem is that if you just click Back, the user doesnt get
taken back to the server!!
Also, tracking if the user has Been there before or not isnt reliable,
as if the user browses back to that page properly, we dont want them to
be blocked!!

I have a page that has many different States (Adding, Editing,
SubmittingForApproval etc).
Once the user has Approved his timesheet for example, we dont want him
to be able to edit details in it, but we want him to be able to click
Back after clicking Approve, and to be able to see the page in View
mode, and not in Edit mode as he was before. But clicking Back just
shows the Previous HTML cached!!

Do you follow what I mean?

Thanks in advance
David Crone

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi David,

Have you had a chance to check out the suggestions in my last reply or have
you got any further ideas on this issue? If you have anything unclear or if
there're anything else we can help, please feel free to post here. Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

Guest

Hi Stephe

Thanks for your response...could you check the links you included though please, as they dont seem to work, even though I've appended the wrapped text!

Thanks in advanc
David Crone

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi David,

Thanks for the followup.
The web link in the mail such as
http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/managed/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.publi
c.dotnet.framework.aspnet

can redirect you to the certain newsgroup but new the exact thread.
Also, are you using OE to view the post? When there is attachment in
message, we need to use OE to check the message rather than web interface
so as to ge the attachement. Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

David Crone

Hi Stephen

I have OE, but was using my browser for forums etc so far.

Should I use those links in OE, or how would it work?

Thanks for your patience; I havent used OE for newsgroups b4!!
David Crone

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi David,

The
"http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups/managed/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.publ
ic.dotnet.framework.aspnet "
address is the weblink to the newsgroup board.

And the
"link
is for OutLook Express.

You can view through either as you like. Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Get Preview at ASP.NET whidbey

Guest

Hei,

Are there any changes to the smartnavigation functionality in the Whidbey Visual studio edition.
To make complex web pages that do not do blinking responses we have to use XML posts or hidden Iframes
with parent.docum... to set values, because Smartnavigation doesn't work properly (still lots of visible rendering going on).
For Internet Explorer smartnavigation could be built with xml posts instead and made rendering much more smooth.

Jo Arild