Handling large batch looping database update process from ASP.NET page?

ML

We have a large batch type update process that the user needs to launch from
a button on an ASP.NET webpage. The process basically does some queries
against SQL Server, loops through the result set, and process the data and
inserts new data to the database.

The problem is that this process can take several minutes to run due to the
amount of data being handled. Because of this if the user closes the
webpage or goes back to a previous page or there is a timeout between the
browser and server, the process is stopped before completion.

What is the best way to handle such a process? Is there a way to launch the
updating loop process in another thread that will not be impacted by the
user once it is started?

ML

Disregard.
The process does seem to run in its own thread and runs properly even if the
user closes the page during the process, it still continues to properly on
the server.