handling Request Timed Out

William F. Robertson, Jr.

Some of my users are receiving an error:

Server Error in '/' Application.
----

Request timed out.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Request timed out.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[HttpException (0x80004005): Request timed out.]

I have written code to handle both a Page_OnError and Application_OnError
for tracking purposes. I am trying to receive email notification when a
user receives this error. I have a generic error page that all unhandleable
errors are redirected to, but I log every error. I really want to know when
this error is occurring to my users. No notification are sent and my users
see the ugly server error screen.

What am I missing out on?

TIA,

bill

bruce barker

to prevent infinite loops, every page request has a timeout (which you can
change in your web config, or on the local page - Server.ScriptTimeout). you
are hitting this timeout, and asp.net is killing the thread executing the
request (which is why the page doesn't catch the error).

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

William F. Robertson, Jr.

There is nothing on the page that could be causing an infinite loop. The
Sql query that is running on that page could take a significant time. So I
understand why the Page_OnError isn't catching, but what about the
application_OnError in global.

I also tried wiring a static method to
System.AppDomain.CurrentDomain.UnhandledException event in application
start, but that doesn't seem to help catch the error either.

bill