Handling Timeout::Error from TCPSocket

Pat Maddox

I'm writing a little method that just tries to open a tcp socket
connection, then closes it off. I'm using timeout to limit the amount
of time it tries to connect (is there a better way?). If it times
out, I just want to say that the connect failed. Despite catching the
Timeout::Error (I think, anyway), I always get the Exception output.
First, here's the method:

def execute
status = timeout(@timeoutval) {
socket = TCPSocket.new(@host, @port) rescue false

socket.close if socket
return socket != false
} rescue Timeout::Error

return false
end

And now the output from my unit test:

Started
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/timeout.rb:42:in `new': execution expired
(Timeout::Error)
from ./PortHostTest.rb:16:in `execute'
from ./PortHostTest.rb:15:in `timeout'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/timeout.rb:55:in `timeout'
from ./PortHostTest.rb:15:in `execute'
from ./HostTest.rb:10:in `runTest'
from ../tests/test_HostTest.rb:14:in `test_simple'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/test/unit/testcase.rb:70:in `__send__'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/test/unit/testcase.rb:70:in `run'
... 10 levels...
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/test/unit/autorunner.rb:194:in `run'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/test/unit/autorunner.rb:14:in `run'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/test/unit.rb:285
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/test/unit.rb:283

Sam Roberts

Quoting (e-mail address removed), on Sat, Apr 02, 2005 at 08:05:15PM +0900:
I'm writing a little method that just tries to open a tcp socket
connection, then closes it off. I'm using timeout to limit the amount
of time it tries to connect (is there a better way?). If it times

I have to wonder why you want to override the TCP protocols ideas of a
timeout. The protocol designers and implementors have a pretty good idea
of what the timeouts should be. If its not fast enough for you, you
probably want too much. Doing this will make your code flaky and
unreliable when the network isn't as fast as your local network. A good
text on network programming should explain this. If you are finding your
app is blocked, you can use ruby threads to do connections in the
background.

That said, you can't catch exceptions like that, try:

begin
Timeout::timeout(3) do
long running op
end
rescue Timeout::Error
p "hi"
end

Sam

Pat Maddox

I don't want to override the protocol's idea of a timeout - I'd like
some means of specifying a timeout for the connection though. In
every other language I've used, I can set a timeout value on the
socket itself. It doesn't look like that's the case in Ruby. Is
there a method somewhere in the Socket classe heirarchy that lets me
specify a timeout?

According to timeout, you can set an Exception that gets thrown when
it times out. I set that to StandardError, and just handle
StandardError at the end. According to the docs, Timeout::Error can't
be used with rescue because it doesn't inherit from StandardError.

I'd still like some means of setting a timeout value for a socket
connection. That's a pretty basic aspect of the protocol, there's no
reason it shouldn't be in there.

Sam Roberts

Quoting (e-mail address removed), on Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 02:03:51AM +0900:
I don't want to override the protocol's idea of a timeout - I'd like
some means of specifying a timeout for the connection though. In
every other language I've used, I can set a timeout value on the
socket itself. It doesn't look like that's the case in Ruby. Is

The C, perl, and Java networking APIS don't support timeouts on TCP
connect(), and the C/BSD sockets API is what most (all?) other languages
use internally.

Out of curiosity, what are these languages?
there a method somewhere in the Socket classe heirarchy that lets me
specify a timeout?

According to timeout, you can set an Exception that gets thrown when
it times out. I set that to StandardError, and just handle

Not sure what you mean. You can make timeout raise errors other than
Timeout::Error, and catch them, but you don't do so in the example you
posted.
StandardError at the end. According to the docs, Timeout::Error can't
be used with rescue because it doesn't inherit from StandardError.

I assure you that Timeout::Error can be caught by rescue, as I showed, I
do it quite often and it works fine.
I'd still like some means of setting a timeout value for a socket
connection. That's a pretty basic aspect of the protocol, there's no
reason it shouldn't be in there.

I see no evidence that user configurable timeouts on connect() are not
part of the TCP protocol.

Cheers,
Sam

Pat Maddox

In Java:

Socket s = new Socket();
s.connect(new InetSocketAddress(getHost(), port), timeout);

I can specify a timeout value for the connection, as you see above. I
don't see a way of doing that with the Ruby classes. I'm new to Ruby,
so I really don't know - is there a way to do it?

Sam Roberts

Quoting (e-mail address removed), on Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 03:33:47AM +0900:
Be clear that you ARE overriding the protocols idea of a timeout by
terminating the connect() before the stack has decided the peer cannot
be connected.
In Java:

Socket s = new Socket();
s.connect(new InetSocketAddress(getHost(), port), timeout);

I can specify a timeout value for the connection, as you see above.

True enough, I was looking at the TCPSocket constructors, which don't
allow this. Note this didn't exist prior to JDK 1.4, its a recent hack,
true to Java's "everything plus the sink" philosophy it looks like.

http://java.sun.com/features/2002/08/j2se-network.html

I still find your "all the other languages" statement a little over the
top, JDK1.4 isn't a very large "all".

Overriding the TCP protocol's timeouts in the application is
questionable practice. I'm not telling you how to write your app, you
might have good reasons to do this, so do it. I am saying that overeager
timeouts and retransmissions have been known to cause very hard to find
and fix bugs when applications that work fine on a local network or
machine mysteriously start timing out over dialup or WiFi links.
I don't see a way of doing that with the Ruby classes. I'm new to
Ruby, so I really don't know - is there a way to do it?

Yes, as I showed you;

begin
Timeout.timeout(18) do
TCPSocket.new(...
end
rescue Timeout::Error
end

You would wrap this into a nice function if you wanted to do it a lot.

Also, you may find that doing your connects in a seperate thread allows
you to not fiddle with the timeout, and still avoid your app blocking
if the network is slow or flaky.

Have fun.
Sam

Pat Maddox

All I'm trying to do is see if a connection can be made or not, in a
specified amount of time. Here's the method I've written, would you
mind telling me how I could improve upon it?

def execute
numtries = 0

while numtries < @retries + 1
puts "Trying to connect"
numtries += 1
timeout(@timeoutval, StandardError) {
socket = TCPSocket.new(@host, @port) rescue false

if socket
socket.close
result = TestResult.new
result.testId = @id
result.status = TestResult::STATUS_SUCCEEDED
return result
end
} rescue StandardError
puts "Unable to connect"
sleep @retryDelay if numtries < @retries + 1
end

result = TestResult.new
result.testId = @id
result.status = TestResult::STATUS_FAILED
result.info = "Unable to connect"
return result
end

Sam Roberts

Quoting (e-mail address removed), on Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 05:19:36AM +0900:
All I'm trying to do is see if a connection can be made or not, in a
specified amount of time. Here's the method I've written, would you
mind telling me how I could improve upon it?

The code doesn't make any sense to me, you'll have to give me
background. You said you wanted to shorten the connect with a timeout,
but then you call connect over and over again some number of tries.

Why is that connect() can fail, but then work the next time you try?

The only reasons I can think of are that you expect that the server may
be down, but that if it is down it will be rebooted in some reasonable
amount of time, so you want to retry every few minutes for some amount
of time to give it a chance to recover, like say 15 minutes, before
deciding to give up. Or maybe its not the whole server, but just the app
that might be down. Or maybe there's load limiting on the server side,
and you want to keep trying until you get a connection.

Is it a scenario like these?

If so, you shouldn't be killing your connect with a timeout, let it do
its best to connect, and then retry after some sleep only if it fails.
If your code is going to be waiting, why not wait for connect to finish
rather than wait for sleep to finish?

def execute
begin
timout(@retries * @timeoutval) do
loop do
begin
TCPSocket.new(host,port).close
result = ...
return result
rescue
# ignore TCP socket failures, and try again
end
# sleep a few secs so we don't hammer the network trying to
# connect to a (temporarily?) unreachable server
sleep @retryDelay
end
end
rescue Timeout::Error
# After all this time, no success, so the server is definitely
# unreachable.
result = ...
return result
end
end

That scenario aside, I have a second guess as to what you are doing. If
timeout is LESS than the TCP stacks timeout, then what you are doing
with this code is trying to be better than your own TCP stack at making
connections, because you have coded what the stack does.

It sends a SYN packet to the peer, and waits for the SYN/ACK to come
back. If it doesn't get one after a reasonable period it keeps trying a
few times, then gives up. If it gets an error response back (port
unreachable, say), it gives up right away. The stack is good at this,
those TCP stack programmers know their business, let them do it.

Are either of my guesses as to the purpose of your loop correct? If not,
I don't know what you are doing.

Sam

Btw, I don't know if you are aware of test/unit in the standard ruby
lib, but it looks a bit like you are rolling your own test structure,
so I thought I'd mention it.

Pat Maddox

Alright, basically this is what I want to do.

Try to make a connection to a port, with a maximum timeout value of 3
seconds. If it times out, try again two more times. If the port is
closed, just give up. So the second guess you made is more accurate.

I realize that the TCP stack takes care of all that, but it's just
that the timeout value is far too long. As I said above, I want it to
try for a maximum of two seconds. One problem with the way I've done
it is that if it takes two seconds to resolve the host, then that eats
up most of the time. I just don't see a better way of specifying the
maximum time it tries to connect.

The TestResult objects are just for reporting, I have to generate
reports from the results of the tests, stored in a db. I'm using
test/unit to test all of this out.

Glenn Parker

Pat said:
Alright, basically this is what I want to do.

Try to make a connection to a port, with a maximum timeout value of 3
seconds. If it times out, try again two more times. If the port is
closed, just give up. So the second guess you made is more accurate.

If you're going to be retrying the same server over and over again, you
might as well let it timeout on its own instead of interrupting it
prematurely just so you can start over again.

However, if you were attempting connections across a list of replicated
servers, stopping on the first successful connection, then this might be
worth doing, but you might be better off using several threads in that case.

Pat Maddox

I'm going to be running this test every minute. If it takes two
minutes to time out, that doesn't do me any good.

Glenn Parker

Pat said:
I'm going to be running this test every minute. If it takes two
minutes to time out, that doesn't do me any good.

Then just attempt a single connection and bag it after your desired
total timeout. In essence, it's already retrying internally (resending
SYN packets) so you're just adding overhead without getting any benefit.

Sam Roberts

Quoting (e-mail address removed), on Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 06:51:09AM +0900:
Alright, basically this is what I want to do.

Try to make a connection to a port, with a maximum timeout value of 3
seconds. If it times out, try again two more times. If the port is
closed, just give up. So the second guess you made is more accurate.

Glenn explained this, but to restate: you didn't implement a timeout of
3 seconds, you did a timout of 6 secs (2 secs times the 3 times you
try). So, give the stack 6 seconds to make its connection.

If its test code, I can see why you want to shorten the connect
timeouts. I don't understand why it takes that long, though. That means
you have an IP in the DNS, and the IP isn't reachable, and none of the
routers on the way tell you its not reachable, they just drop the
packets. If your packets got to the destination IP, and the port wasn't
open, you should get a packet back right away saying so.

I guess with so much NAT and firewalls, and defences against denial of
service attacks, maybe machines are just dropping packats rather than
responding to them. Or maybe I just don't understand.

Cheers,
Sam

Pat Maddox

Alright, I'm understanding it more.

If I use timeout, am I still able to catch the SocketErrors that might
occur? I'd like to be able to differentiate between a host
unreachable, connection refused, and a time out. Refused would happen
before the timeout(), but I'm not sure that the other two would even
get thrown. Does timeout() just kill whatever's going on at the time?

Sorry it's taking me a bit, but I really appreciate all the help.

Pat Maddox

I think that a lot of machines are just dropping packets now. I've
seen that as the default option in a lot of example firewall rulesets
across the net lately.

Saynatkari

Pat said:
Alright, I'm understanding it more.

If I use timeout, am I still able to catch the SocketErrors that might
occur? I'd like to be able to differentiate between a host
unreachable, connection refused, and a time out. Refused would happen
before the timeout(), but I'm not sure that the other two would even
get thrown. Does timeout() just kill whatever's going on at the time?

You can handle those within the timeout loop. If you want to
concentrate the error handling, you should be able to just
add a few more rescue clauses where TimeoutError is rescued.
Sorry it's taking me a bit, but I really appreciate all the help.

Eric Hodel

--Apple-Mail-8-1066192019

Alright, I'm understanding it more.

If I use timeout, am I still able to catch the SocketErrors that might
occur? I'd like to be able to differentiate between a host
unreachable, connection refused, and a time out. Refused would happen
before the timeout(), but I'm not sure that the other two would even
get thrown. Does timeout() just kill whatever's going on at the time?

$ ruby -r timeout -e 'p Timeout::Error.ancestors'
[Timeout::Error, Interrupt, SignalException, Exception, Object, Kernel]

Interrupt is not caught by rescue by default, but you can tell timeout
what kind of exception to give you:

$ ruby -r timeout -e 'timeout 2, SyntaxError do sleep 3 end'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/timeout.rb:42: execution expired (SyntaxError)
from -e:1:in `timeout'
from /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/timeout.rb:55:in `timeout'
from -e:1

The benefit of inheriting off of interrupt is that it will cut a path
straight out of the timeout block, unless you're looking for it on
purpose. (So beware of nesting timeouts without creating subclasses of
Timeout::Error).

--
Eric Hodel - (e-mail address removed) - http://segment7.net
FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E 7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

--Apple-Mail-8-1066192019
name=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-8-1066192019--

Guillaume Marcais

def execute
status = timeout(@timeoutval) {
socket = TCPSocket.new(@host, @port) rescue false

socket.close if socket
return socket != false
} rescue Timeout::Error
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This probably doesn't do what you expect. The argument to rescue for the
inline version is the value to return in case an exception is raised and
caught. Which is different from the block version where it is an
exception class.
The block version with no argument or the inline version filters all
exception that inherit from StandardError. But Timeout::Error does not
inherit from StandardError. So it punches right through.
The code you wrote returns the class Timeout::Error if a StandardError
is raised.

Example:
$ irb
irb(main):001:0> require 'timeout'
=> true
irb(main):002:0> 1 rescue 0
=> 1
irb(main):003:0> raise "bad" rescue 0
=> 0
irb(main):004:0> raise "Bad" rescue Timeout::Error
=> Timeout::Error
irb(main):005:0> raise Timeout::Error, "Catch me if you can" rescue 0
(irb):5:in `irb_binding': Catch me if you can (Timeout::Error)
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/workspace.rb:52:in `irb_binding'
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/irb/workspace.rb:52

If you look at Sam's code snippet, he correctly uses begin/rescue/end to
catch the Timeout::Error exception.

A final note on the inline rescue: it has a higher precedence than =, so
you would need parenthesis to assign the rescue value:

$ irb
irb(main):001:0> a = 0
=> 0
irb(main):002:0> a = raise "bad" rescue 1
=> 1
irb(main):003:0> a
=> 0
irb(main):004:0> a = (raise "bad" rescue 1)
=> 1
irb(main):005:0> a
=> 1

Hope it helps,
Guillaume.

Guillaume Marcais

I think that a lot of machines are just dropping packets now. I've
seen that as the default option in a lot of example firewall rulesets
across the net lately.

Yes, a lot of firewall do not reply and just drop the packets to slow
down hostile port scanning.

Guillaume.