Hardware Interfacing through USB or RS232

amir

Dear Friends,
I need to connect some hardware to my software.
I was thinking about USB and RS232.
Anyway, any kind of help will be appreciated.
Best,

Martin Gregorie

amir said:
Dear Friends,
I need to connect some hardware to my software.
I was thinking about USB and RS232.
Anyway, any kind of help will be appreciated.
Best,
What hardware?
What software?
What transfer protocol does the hardware use?
What host computer and operating system?

What are you trying to achieve?

amir

Dear Martin,
This is your answer:
What hardware?
I have been designed a Hardware and need to connect both.
What software?
I am going to make a monitoring and control application for my
hardware.
What transfer protocol does the hardware use?
I have not any special transfer protocol. Just, need to transfer data
and commands bidirectionaly.
What host computer and operating system?
x86 family. MS-Windows is focused.
What are you trying to achieve?
I am trying to make a Monitoring and control for my hardwares. They
may send data or commands bidirectionaly. data trasfered is in two
forms, small tags and mass data.

Martin Gregorie

amir said:
Dear Martin,
This is your answer:
I have been designed a Hardware and need to connect both.
I am going to make a monitoring and control application for my
hardware.
I have not any special transfer protocol. Just, need to transfer data
and commands bidirectionaly.
x86 family. MS-Windows is focused.
I am trying to make a Monitoring and control for my hardwares. They
may send data or commands bidirectionaly. data trasfered is in two
forms, small tags and mass data.

Seeing that you have complete control over the hardware, I'd suggest
that you don't use either a serial connection of USB. There's an easier
way to communicate with a Java program: TCP/IP over Ethernet. Hardware
interfacing modules are available at sensible prices via electronics
outlets such as Farnell. See:

http://www.gridconnect.com/

for module descriptions and prices. IMO the benefits of using TCP/IP
rather than serial or USB are:

- the modules are sufficiently cheap that using them probably pays for
itself in reduced development costs for the Java application. Unless,
of course, you're developing a mass market item for a price-sensitive
market.

- the Java application's interface to your hardware can be developed
with the standard J2SE development kit.

- almost all PCs have a NIC these days, so a sockets based Java
application doesn't need any communication hardware or software
apart from the OS and the standard JRE. This makes user site
installation much simpler.

- there is no need for extras such as RXTX or javax.comm which, in
any case, are not particularly portable.

Disclaimer: I haven't used Xport modules to date and have no connection
with Gridconnect, but they'll my first stop if I run into the need to
interface custom hardware to a PC. For exactly the same reasons I've
previously used Parallax STAMPs rather than building custom controllers
round PIC chips.

Jeff Higgins

Martin said:
Seeing that you have complete control over the hardware, I'd suggest that
you don't use either a serial connection of USB. There's an easier way to
communicate with a Java program: TCP/IP over Ethernet. Hardware
interfacing modules are available at sensible prices via electronics
outlets such as Farnell.

Thanks for the inspiration, much appreciated.
JH