Has anyone ported Trek-80 to Perl?

David Filmer

(this is about as MISC as comp.lang.perl.misc can get...)

Not long after the epoch, there were a number of console "Star Trek"
programs (I believe the first of these was published in Dr. Dobbs
Journal - or was it Interface Age?). For a screenshot of an early Trek
game, see http://www.thebattles.net/sol20/tinytrek/tinytrek.gif.

Anyway, the game underwent many variations. One of the most
significant was Trek80 (written in BASIC for the Radio Shack TRS-80) -
see http://www.thebattles.net/sol20/images/trk80.gif for a screenshot.
The sourcecode was published (in book form), and I once bought this
book and converted (and significantly enhanced) the code for
QuickBASIC (alas, long since lost to binary heaven).

I've found ports of this Trek80 code to other languages (a couple of
C/C++ versions, and there's a Fortran77 version on SourceForge). But
I've been unable to find a Perl port of Trek80.

I've thought about (just for kicks) playing around with the program in
Perl (although I've long since lost my TRS-80 sourcecode book), but I
would rather begin with an investigation of prior art (I've got a real
CPAN mentality these days). Has anyone ever seen such a port? Can you
provide a link?

Thanks!

James Willmore

Randal said:
David> Not long after the epoch, there were a number of console "Star Trek"
David> programs (I believe the first of these was published in Dr. Dobbs
David> Journal - or was it Interface Age?). For a screenshot of an early Trek
David> game, see http://www.thebattles.net/sol20/tinytrek/tinytrek.gif.

Ouch. That's a screencapture of a Sol 20, which I *still* have in my
storage shed. It's the very first computer I owned.

David> Has anyone ever seen such a port? Can you provide a link?

I don't recall. But let me know if you see one!

Not for Perl, but using C. Go to http://freshmeat.net and use the
search word 'trek'.

HTH

Jim

MPB

I've found ports of this Trek80 code to other languages (a couple of
C/C++ versions, and there's a Fortran77 version on SourceForge). But
I've been unable to find a Perl port of Trek80.

I have a VAX-VMS Fortran version I created from the
Basic code I "found" on an HP-2000F in the mid-1970s.

Unfortunately, the only sourcecode I have is on paper
and on an Amiga disk (with no easy path from the Amiga
to a PC).

Mike