Has anyone ported Trek-80 to Perl?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by David Filmer, Oct 12, 2004.

  1. David Filmer

    David Filmer Guest

    (this is about as MISC as comp.lang.perl.misc can get...)

    Not long after the epoch, there were a number of console "Star Trek"
    programs (I believe the first of these was published in Dr. Dobbs
    Journal - or was it Interface Age?). For a screenshot of an early Trek
    game, see http://www.thebattles.net/sol20/tinytrek/tinytrek.gif.

    Anyway, the game underwent many variations. One of the most
    significant was Trek80 (written in BASIC for the Radio Shack TRS-80) -
    see http://www.thebattles.net/sol20/images/trk80.gif for a screenshot.
    The sourcecode was published (in book form), and I once bought this
    book and converted (and significantly enhanced) the code for
    QuickBASIC (alas, long since lost to binary heaven).

    I've found ports of this Trek80 code to other languages (a couple of
    C/C++ versions, and there's a Fortran77 version on SourceForge). But
    I've been unable to find a Perl port of Trek80.

    I've thought about (just for kicks) playing around with the program in
    Perl (although I've long since lost my TRS-80 sourcecode book), but I
    would rather begin with an investigation of prior art (I've got a real
    CPAN mentality these days). Has anyone ever seen such a port? Can you
    provide a link?

    Thanks!

    David Filmer, Oct 12, 2004

  2. Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

    > David> Not long after the epoch, there were a number of console "Star Trek"
    > David> programs (I believe the first of these was published in Dr. Dobbs
    > David> Journal - or was it Interface Age?). For a screenshot of an early Trek
    > David> game, see http://www.thebattles.net/sol20/tinytrek/tinytrek.gif.
    >
    > Ouch. That's a screencapture of a Sol 20, which I *still* have in my
    > storage shed. It's the very first computer I owned.
    >
    > David> Has anyone ever seen such a port? Can you provide a link?
    >
    > I don't recall. But let me know if you see one!

    Not for Perl, but using C. Go to http://freshmeat.net and use the
    search word 'trek'.

    HTH

    Jim

    James Willmore, Oct 12, 2004

  3. David Filmer

    MPB Guest

    On 12 Oct 2004 00:39:09 -0700, David Filmer <> wrote:

    > I've found ports of this Trek80 code to other languages (a couple of
    > C/C++ versions, and there's a Fortran77 version on SourceForge). But
    > I've been unable to find a Perl port of Trek80.

    I have a VAX-VMS Fortran version I created from the
    Basic code I "found" on an HP-2000F in the mid-1970s.

    Unfortunately, the only sourcecode I have is on paper
    and on an Amiga disk (with no easy path from the Amiga
    to a PC).

    Mike

    MPB, Oct 12, 2004