Hash String to String/Int

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Alex Banks, May 22, 2005.

  1. Alex Banks

    Alex Banks Guest

    Can someone point me to a good cpan module employing a one way hashing
    algorithm?

    e.g. http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/innodb-physical-structure.html
    maps to 278HGKJZLKLK23 every time.

    I need to be able to map a potentially long string (ie a URL) to a
    shorter string (or integer) so I can effectively index a table.

    (i'm not worried about the occasional duplicate, i understand it's not
    possible to effectively condense every string acturately to a shorter
    unique string)

    Thanks,

    Alex

    --

    Alex Banks
    ----------------------

    Alex Banks, May 22, 2005

  2. Alex Banks

    Jay Tilton Guest

    Alex Banks <> wrote:

    : Can someone point me to a good cpan module employing a one way hashing
    : algorithm?

    Look at the various Digest:: modules.

    Jay Tilton, May 22, 2005

  3. Alex Banks

    Alex Banks Guest

    Jay Tilton wrote:
    > Alex Banks <> wrote:
    >
    > : Can someone point me to a good cpan module employing a one way hashing
    > : algorithm?
    >
    > Look at the various Digest:: modules.

    Exactly what I need - thanks Jay.

    --