Hash String to String/Int

Alex Banks

Can someone point me to a good cpan module employing a one way hashing
algorithm?

e.g. http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/innodb-physical-structure.html
maps to 278HGKJZLKLK23 every time.

I need to be able to map a potentially long string (ie a URL) to a
shorter string (or integer) so I can effectively index a table.

(i'm not worried about the occasional duplicate, i understand it's not
possible to effectively condense every string acturately to a shorter
unique string)

Thanks,

Alex

Jay Tilton

: Can someone point me to a good cpan module employing a one way hashing
: algorithm?

Look at the various Digest:: modules.

Alex Banks

Jay said:
: Can someone point me to a good cpan module employing a one way hashing
: algorithm?

Look at the various Digest:: modules.

Exactly what I need - thanks Jay.