HashMap vs linear table lookup

Mike Schilling

Lew said:
Just out of curiosity, how would that affect javac?

I'd guess that string-valued tokens (keywords, class and method names,
declared variables, etc.) are stored in hash tables [1], so that a
slowdown in looking them up would directly affect compiler speed.

1. At least, when I've written parsers, that's how I've done it.