    included with the IEWebControls package for quite awhile now. How do the
    two differ? Is there a lot more functionality included within AJAX?

    Thanks

    Eric, Oct 25, 2005

  2. Eric

    Bruce Barker Guest

    AJAX is a design pattern that has been available for years.

    asp.net 2.0 includes a simple ajax implementation that allows client script
    in IE (at least in the RC) to make an async call to an asp.net webform which
    fires a callback event to return a single value back to the client.

    MS is working on a set of AJAX enabled web controls that allow more
    functionality (client binding to AJAX results), but this is for a later
    release (post 2.0).

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Bruce Barker, Oct 25, 2005

  3. Eric

    Jason Kester Guest

    Yeah, it's been around for several years in one form or another. A
    couple years ago somebody came up with a cool acronym, and it took off.

    I think I first did asynchronous client/server communication from a
    browser back in 1998. This was before the XmlHttpRequest object, so
    you had to either use hidden IFrames or a Script element.

    Apart from that, not much has changed. Except that everybody is using
    XML for data storage.

    Jason Kester
    Expat Software Consulting Services
    http://www.expatsoftware.com/

    ---
    Get your own Travel Blog, with itinerary maps and photos!
    http://www.blogabond.com/

    Jason Kester, Oct 25, 2005