hassle with macro

Mark

I have a piece of code having these lines:

#define ET_ERROR(args) fprintf(args)
ET_ERROR(("bus %d slot %d", bus, slot)); /* XX */

This causes compilation warnings:

warning: left-hand operand of comma expression has no effect
warning: passing argument 1 of 'printf' makes pointer from integer without a
cast

Obviously the second is the consequence of the first. As Im understand the
compiler treats expression found in parentheses of printf as a comma
operator. Is there any way to make it work, except changing a number of
arguments to macro, as there are lots of such macros scattered around the
code?

Ben Pfaff

Mark said:
I have a piece of code having these lines:

#define ET_ERROR(args) fprintf(args)
ET_ERROR(("bus %d slot %d", bus, slot)); /* XX */

If ET_ERROR is intended to be invoked that way, then it should be
defined this way:

Ben said:
If ET_ERROR is intended to be invoked that way, then it should be
defined this way:
#define ET_ERROR(args) fprintf args
Thank you very much indeed!

Ralf Damaschke

Ben said:
If ET_ERROR is intended to be invoked that way, then it should be
defined this way:
#define ET_ERROR(args) fprintf args

Hmm, if ET_ERROR is intended to be invoked that way, then it should
better be defined this way:

#define ET_ERROR(args) printf args

-- Ralf