Have you ever considered of mousing ambidextrously?

WangQiang

I'm also a programmer, as working in front of computer day and day, my
right hand is so tired and ached. So I tried to mouse in both hands. I
find that it is really an efficient way to release pains. At first I
switched the mouse buttons in windows control panel, but it taked me
several steps to finish it, and I can't flip the cursor, so I maked a
utility. With it I can switch mouse buttons and flip the cursor
immediately by pressing a hotkey. I gave it a name: "Ambidexter Mouse",
do you want to have a try: www.ambidexter-mouse.com

Adam Maass

WangQiang said:
I'm also a programmer, as working in front of computer day and day, my
right hand is so tired and ached. So I tried to mouse in both hands. I
find that it is really an efficient way to release pains. At first I
switched the mouse buttons in windows control panel, but it taked me
several steps to finish it, and I can't flip the cursor, so I maked a
utility. With it I can switch mouse buttons and flip the cursor
immediately by pressing a hotkey. I gave it a name: "Ambidexter Mouse",
do you want to have a try: www.ambidexter-mouse.com

I had some pain in my right arm directly attributable to mousnig, so I
learned to left-hand mouse -- but only for the large movements. I couldn't
ever get my mind to wrap around the swapped left and right mouse buttons, so
even when I'm left-handed mousing, I'm right-handed clicking. It confuses
everyone but me.

-- Adam Maass

Gordon Beaton

I had some pain in my right arm directly attributable to mousnig, so
I learned to left-hand mouse -- but only for the large movements. I
couldn't ever get my mind to wrap around the swapped left and right
mouse buttons, so even when I'm left-handed mousing, I'm
right-handed clicking. It confuses everyone but me.

I do exactly the same, but I think that this is a more natural way to
hold the mouse.

The button end of the mouse sits between my (left) thumb and index
finger, so clicking with the leftmost button is easier than if the
buttons were reversed, or if the mouse were in the other hand.

Holding the mouse "correctly" in the right hand - under and parallel
to the fingers as it were - is less comfortable (regardless of button
order).

/gordon

harry

I have RSI also, tried different pointing devices including tablets(wow are
they weird but impossible to use!) - finally settled on a trackball - make's
a hell of a difference for me!

Jeffrey Schwab

harry said:
I have RSI also, tried different pointing devices including tablets(wow are
they weird but impossible to use!) - finally settled on a trackball - make's
a hell of a difference for me!

+1

lewmania942

So I tried to mouse in both hands. I find that it is really an efficient
way to release pains.

Hi there,

I suffer from pain in my right-hand "pinky" (the smallest finger) so...
I'm using my mouse with the left-hand, since years. I don't know
if it's really related to the mouse or not (I sure didn't had the
problem
20 years ago, when I had no mouse... But then at that time I hadn't
many years of typing behind me either).

However the buttons stays the same: I don't switch. A "right-click"
is really, in my situation, "a click on the button that is on the right
of the mouse". So I don't need to configure anything.

I'm mostly mouse-ambidextrous: I can do everything, including
photo-editing, using both hands.

The only case where I sometimes switch the mouse to my
right-hand is for playing... (lately I tried some "Java 4K"
games and found myself switching back the mouse to my
right hand).

That said my pain is so bad that I'll have to go back to see a
specialized doctor for this and maybe undergo a chirurgical
operation :(

Another good trick is: use your keyboard as much as possible,
don't rely on the mouse for things that can be done with the
keyboard (ie mostly all).

(Damn, you got me started on the "input efficiency" subject)

That said I'm somehow an "keyboard nerd": IBM Model-M
configured so my fingers travel as few as possible (CTRL at
the left of the 'a' key, where it was on the real things and
where it still is on some Mac keyboards [I'm french, but I
use a qwerty layout, the french layout just doesn't make
sense for programming], escape at the left of the '1',
enter/return done by CTRL-M [two keys, but way less travel
and it eases my Pinky]). I'll probably dedicate a webpage
to my MODEL M's for I may have the nerdiest of them
all: all keys are "blind" (the keycaps are in two parts, I
removed the upper part) besides for the 'f' and the 'j'.
I touch type everything, including the function keys (which
I try to avoid the most that said, they're just to far).

It will turn 20 years old this year, damn...

:)