Having a hope that IE will die? I doubt it will.

Henry

Ryan said:
As long as people remain steadfast idiots, IE will never die.

Amen.

Unfortunately (Fortunately for some.) the world is full of idiots.

It's unbelievable how is hard to convince people to use FF.

For almost every installation on client machine, I was ALWAYS getting a
call with a question:

"Why I can't use my banking (Hehehe... misspelled it with wanking.)
using FF. Why only IE works?"

(I'm a computer technician working from home.)

So..... no more installing FF on client machines. Cutting unwanted calls
to bare minimum.

I would not even try to explain, why.

They would not grasp it anyway. A pure waste of my time.

M$ is to strong.

Linux will ever win? Seriously doubt. If FF can't, how can ANYONE
convince some one to use Linux!?

We were judged and found guilty of pirating the software and music.

The judgment is - to end of our miserable life in hands of The Judge and
The Executor - Bill Gates.

Arghhhhh....

:(

...D.

As long as people remain steadfast idiots, IE will never die.

-Ryan

I have Firefox on my computer but was not happy with it. I returned to
using I.E. Firefox is sloewer than IE for one thing when 1st loading a
page (cable connection). And my terrific password manager that i could
not live without doesn't work in FF. IE has sharper well defined fonts on
some web pages while FF has fat ones.

I suspect that if "everyone' started using FF instead of IE then there'd
be viruses and other baddies written at FF instead, and the same security
problems would come up.

...D.

...D.

I have Firefox on my computer but was not happy with it. I returned to
using I.E. Firefox is sloewer than IE for one thing when 1st loading a
page (cable connection). And my terrific password manager that i could
not live without doesn't work in FF. IE has sharper well defined fonts on
some web pages while FF has fat ones.

I suspect that if "everyone' started using FF instead of IE then there'd
be viruses and other baddies written at FF instead, and the same security
problems would come up.

Oh yea - it (FF) couldn't even see the quicktime player on my webpage.
When I changed it to open and play in a new window, ot pl;ayed but part of
the joke (dennis miller joke) was mysteriously quiet.

I really don't like FF. I use it to check my web pages occasionlly, or to
surf with, and it runs into display problems or download problems at times
besides the other stuff i mentioned.

...D.

JDS

Just read some news about IE 7.0.

Not dead as yet and Firefox seems to be the first candidate to die.

The article is biased and full of misinformation.

FireFox (or Mozilla or some other Mozilla derivative) will never die. For
reasons that have nothing to do with whether Microsoft tries to kill it.
How can you really kill a *free*, Open Source product that is maintained
by, basically, anyone in the world capable of lending a hand? (It's more
complicated than that, obviously, but close enough...)

However, neither will any other browser ever, at this point take over
market share from MSIE, unless MS Windows somehow falls out of the number
one spot on people's desktop as well. Not gonna happen any time soon.

Ryan Heuser

....D. said:
Oh yea - it (FF) couldn't even see the quicktime player on my webpage.
When I changed it to open and play in a new window, ot pl;ayed but part of
the joke (dennis miller joke) was mysteriously quiet.

I really don't like FF. I use it to check my web pages occasionlly, or to
surf with, and it runs into display problems or download problems at times
besides the other stuff i mentioned.

...D.

By criticizing IE I am not necessarily praising FF. IE simply doesn't
stick to standards, forcing web developers to code sites the proper way
for browsers that ARE compliant with W3C standards, and then insert
cheats and cracks and hacks to make the darn thing work in IE. The
software's features itself are not the issue (to me). It's Microsoft's
egocentric attitutude of: "We're Microsoft. We ARE the standard.
Revolve around THIS, b****."

-Ryan

Vic Sowers

Henry said:
The judgment is - to end of our miserable life in hands of The Judge and
The Executor - Bill Gates.

Arghhhhh....

:(

That's soon to be "Sir Bill".

:)

BessieBee

As long as people remain steadfast idiots, IE will never die.

-Ryan

"Make something idiot-proof and someone will come along and invent a
better idiot." - sign on my son's bedroom door.

BessieBee

If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning. -Catherine Aird

Kevin Scholl

Henry said:
Just read some news about IE 7.0.
Not dead as yet and Firefox seems to be the first candidate to die.
http://www.cnet.com/4520-6033_1-5666404-1.html?tag=nl.e501
IMHO - if new IE will have tagging, Firefox will be dead!
Unfortunately all coding have to be made to make IE happy.
Wonder what bugs he will have fixed.
Going back to my FP.
;)

The author of that article seems to have deeper issues. I mean, the
three "problems" she mentions are due to her ignorance, or direct
byproducts of HER system, not Firefox in general. For example:

"Why is there no way to check for updates from within the browser, for
one thing?"
Hmmm ... obviously missed that FF displays a little icon when there are
updates available. Of for those who care to check manually, there's this
very capability in Tools | Options | Advanced | Software Updates.

"Why does it take so doggone long to launch?"
Barring system problems that may make her's longer, I hardly think a
couple of seconds is long. Not as fast as IE (which loads quickly only
by virtue of being mostly loaded as part of the OS), but faster than any
of the Office apps.

"Why, why must it crash every single time I open a PDF?"
Because there's apparently something wrong with her configuration.

I seriously doubt that FF is going anywhere ... except maybe UP.

Kevin Scholl http://www.ksscholl.com/
(e-mail address removed)

mscir

Kevin Scholl wrote:
"Why does it take so doggone long to launch?"
Barring system problems that may make her's longer, I hardly think a
couple of seconds is long. Not as fast as IE (which loads quickly only
by virtue of being mostly loaded as part of the OS), but faster than any
of the Office apps.

This cut the firefox load time by roughly 30% on my Win98 1GHz machine.

================================

Support Alert, Free Edition
www.techsupportalert.com
Issue 118 - 16th February, 2005

5. TIP OF THE MONTH
================================
5.1 How to Make FireFox Load Much Faster

Note: This tip is not suitable for inexperienced computer users.

You can slash FireFox's slow load time by compressing the
DLLs and executables. There are many choices for compression
but I suggest you use UPX which is free, efficient and time
proven.

1. Download UPX from http://upx.sourceforge.net/#download

2. Unzip upx.exe into your FireFox installation folder which is
normally C:\Program Files\Mozilla FireFox.

3. Make sure FireFox is not running then shell to a command
prompt in the FireFox installation directory.

4. Type in the following command in a single line and hit return:

for %v in (*.exe *.dll components\*.dll plugins\*.dll) do upx
"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\%v"

5. If on some later occasion you want to unpack the files, just
type in the command above but add the decompression switch "-d"
after "do upx."

Blinky the Shark

Kevin said:
"Why does it take so doggone long to launch?"
Barring system problems that may make her's longer, I hardly think a
couple of seconds is long. Not as fast as IE (which loads quickly only
by virtue of being mostly loaded as part of the OS), but faster than any
of the Office apps.

I don't know about anyone else, but it runs for days, here, so I could
care less how long it took to load, between 5 seconds or 30 seconds.
Perhaps OP (or whoever, upthread) is using an OS that requires
rebooting once or twice a day as "normal maintentance"; if so, the
issue would seem to be more the OS, and less Firefox.

Blinky the Shark

mscir said:
Kevin Scholl wrote:
This article agrees with you:

I'm surprised Firefox is surging like it is. I'm pleased with that;
just caught off guard. I've moved to FF from years with Opera (and
Netscape before that). What did the trick for me is mostly the great
array of extensions. But it seems to me like Firefox is an evolutionary
step in the NS-Moz chain, not a revolutionary step. And that's the
reason for my surprise about it catching...uh...fire. Granted, it went
gold during a period of unusually loud media grumblings about IE -- but
I doubt that the clueless are paying any more attention to IE security
issues and its other shortcomings any more than they ever have: it came
on this here computer so it must b'God be the best dang thing there is.
So what *has* created this minor-fad-like upswing for FF?

Adrienne

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Blinky the Shark
I doubt that the clueless are paying any more attention to IE security
issues and its other shortcomings any more than they ever have: it came
on this here computer so it must b'God be the best dang thing there is.

No, but the people who the clueless take their computer to for repair, or
come by and fix their computer, are installing FF for them. Then they
are probably letting FF set itself as the default browser. Wow! FF just
became the Internet!

I'm sure these repair people are telling their clients that they are
doing the installation to protect them, and I'm sure that goes right over
the heads of a lot of these clients. I speak from experience.
So what *has* created this minor-fad-like upswing for FF?

Word of mouth, being hip, dislike of Microsoft.

Blinky the Shark

Adrienne said:
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Blinky the Shark
<[email protected]> writing in
No, but the people who the clueless take their computer to for repair, or
come by and fix their computer, are installing FF for them. Then they
are probably letting FF set itself as the default browser. Wow! FF just
became the Internet!

Hmmmm. Doesn't seem like this would be a very large factor. I hadn't
thought about it said:
I'm sure these repair people are telling their clients that they are
doing the installation to protect them, and I'm sure that goes right over
the heads of a lot of these clients. I speak from experience.
Word of mouth, being hip, dislike of Microsoft.

Again: why FF, why now? What's different?

Lauri Raittila

Actually, clueless are learning hard way: getting viruses. With
broadbands open all the time, antivirus might update too late to notice
latest. And when you have virus in you machine and stops working, and be
like that for week before you can get someone to fix it, it makes you
somewhat more interested in security.
Hmmmm. Doesn't seem like this would be a very large factor. I hadn't
thought about it, though. <thinking (ow!)> Still seems insignificant.

Think about it. Avarage windows system needs knowledgefull help sooner or
later. Then people ask someone that knows this stuff to fix it. Because
they believe in knowledge ot this person, they will believe when they are
told IE is big bag of shit. So if more technically avare people are
swiching, on grounds of security, it will cause clueless to shiwt too,
only with great delay.

I really hope we will see 50% of non IE before IE7 is out. Because if it
is secure, this slow movement to better browsers might stop.
Again: why FF, why now? What's different?

The difference is that FF is reasonably fast compared to IE, and today
people have broadbands, making it easy to download it and more likely to
get virus. Few years back, most people had modems.

And it is common knowledge now that Microsoft sucks.

Kevin Scholl

Blinky said:
So what *has* created this minor-fad-like upswing for FF?

IMNSOHO, it's pretty simple: once someone tries it and finds that it is
indeed a superior browser on many levels, they tell their friends, who
then tell their friends, etc. Coupled with the occasional mainstream
news notice, such word of mouth is a powerful evangelistic tool.

Kevin Scholl http://www.ksscholl.com/
(e-mail address removed)

Andy Dingley

It was somewhere outside Barstow when BessieBee
"Make something idiot-proof and someone will come along and invent a
better idiot." - sign on my son's bedroom door.

Hey, this is alt.html _Our_ pet idiot is world-class.