Having a hope that IE will die? I doubt it will.

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Henry, Feb 28, 2005.

  1. Henry

    Henry Guest

    Just read some news about IE 7.0.

    Not dead as yet and Firefox seems to be the first candidate to die.

    http://www.cnet.com/4520-6033_1-5666404-1.html?tag=nl.e501

    IMHO - if new IE will have tagging, Firefox will be dead!

    Unfortunately all coding have to be made to make IE happy.

    Wonder what bugs he will have fixed.

    Going back to my FP.

    ;)

    Henry, Feb 28, 2005

  2. Henry

    Andy Dingley Guest

    It was somewhere outside Barstow when Henry <>
    wrote:

    >Just read some news about IE 7.0.

    Where ? I didn't see any "news" in that piss-poor piece of
    opinionated drivel passing itself of as journalism.

    Andy Dingley, Mar 1, 2005

  3. Henry

    Ryan Heuser Guest

    Henry wrote:
    > Just read some news about IE 7.0.
    > Not dead as yet and Firefox seems to be the first candidate to die.
    > http://www.cnet.com/4520-6033_1-5666404-1.html?tag=nl.e501
    > IMHO - if new IE will have tagging, Firefox will be dead!
    > Unfortunately all coding have to be made to make IE happy.
    > Wonder what bugs he will have fixed.
    > Going back to my FP.
    > ;)

    As long as people remain steadfast idiots, IE will never die.

    -Ryan

    Ryan Heuser, Mar 1, 2005
  4. Henry

    Henry Guest

    Ryan Heuser wrote:
    > Henry wrote:
    >
    >> Just read some news about IE 7.0.
    >> Not dead as yet and Firefox seems to be the first candidate to die.
    >> http://www.cnet.com/4520-6033_1-5666404-1.html?tag=nl.e501
    >> IMHO - if new IE will have tagging, Firefox will be dead!
    >> Unfortunately all coding have to be made to make IE happy.
    >> Wonder what bugs he will have fixed.
    >> Going back to my FP.
    >> ;)

    > As long as people remain steadfast idiots, IE will never die.

    Amen.

    Unfortunately (Fortunately for some.) the world is full of idiots.

    It's unbelievable how is hard to convince people to use FF.

    For almost every installation on client machine, I was ALWAYS getting a
    call with a question:

    "Why I can't use my banking (Hehehe... misspelled it with wanking.)
    using FF. Why only IE works?"

    (I'm a computer technician working from home.)

    So..... no more installing FF on client machines. Cutting unwanted calls
    to bare minimum.

    I would not even try to explain, why.

    They would not grasp it anyway. A pure waste of my time.

    M$ is to strong.

    Linux will ever win? Seriously doubt. If FF can't, how can ANYONE
    convince some one to use Linux!?

    We were judged and found guilty of pirating the software and music.

    The judgment is - to end of our miserable life in hands of The Judge and
    The Executor - Bill Gates.

    Arghhhhh....

    :(

    Henry, Mar 1, 2005
  5. Henry

    ...D. Guest

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 01:19:32 -0500, Ryan Heuser <> wrote:

    >Henry wrote:
    >> Just read some news about IE 7.0.
    >> Not dead as yet and Firefox seems to be the first candidate to die.
    >> http://www.cnet.com/4520-6033_1-5666404-1.html?tag=nl.e501
    >> IMHO - if new IE will have tagging, Firefox will be dead!
    >> Unfortunately all coding have to be made to make IE happy.
    >> Wonder what bugs he will have fixed.
    >> Going back to my FP.
    >> ;)

    >As long as people remain steadfast idiots, IE will never die.
    >
    >-Ryan

    I have Firefox on my computer but was not happy with it. I returned to
    using I.E. Firefox is sloewer than IE for one thing when 1st loading a
    page (cable connection). And my terrific password manager that i could
    not live without doesn't work in FF. IE has sharper well defined fonts on
    some web pages while FF has fat ones.

    I suspect that if "everyone' started using FF instead of IE then there'd
    be viruses and other baddies written at FF instead, and the same security
    problems would come up.

    ...D.

    ...D., Mar 1, 2005
  6. Henry

    ...D. Guest

    >I have Firefox on my computer but was not happy with it. I returned to
    >using I.E. Firefox is sloewer than IE for one thing when 1st loading a
    >page (cable connection). And my terrific password manager that i could
    >not live without doesn't work in FF. IE has sharper well defined fonts on
    >some web pages while FF has fat ones.
    >
    >I suspect that if "everyone' started using FF instead of IE then there'd
    >be viruses and other baddies written at FF instead, and the same security
    >problems would come up.

    Oh yea - it (FF) couldn't even see the quicktime player on my webpage.
    When I changed it to open and play in a new window, ot pl;ayed but part of
    the joke (dennis miller joke) was mysteriously quiet.

    I really don't like FF. I use it to check my web pages occasionlly, or to
    surf with, and it runs into display problems or download problems at times
    besides the other stuff i mentioned.

    ...D.

    ...D., Mar 1, 2005
  7. Henry

    JDS Guest

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 07:04:55 +0800, Henry wrote:

    > Just read some news about IE 7.0.
    >

    > Not dead as yet and Firefox seems to be the first candidate to die.

    The article is biased and full of misinformation.

    FireFox (or Mozilla or some other Mozilla derivative) will never die. For
    reasons that have nothing to do with whether Microsoft tries to kill it.
    How can you really kill a *free*, Open Source product that is maintained
    by, basically, anyone in the world capable of lending a hand? (It's more
    complicated than that, obviously, but close enough...)

    However, neither will any other browser ever, at this point take over
    market share from MSIE, unless MS Windows somehow falls out of the number
    one spot on people's desktop as well. Not gonna happen any time soon.

    --
    JDS | lid

    JDS, Mar 1, 2005
  8. Henry

    Ryan Heuser Guest

    ....D. wrote:
    >>I have Firefox on my computer but was not happy with it. I returned to
    >>using I.E. Firefox is sloewer than IE for one thing when 1st loading a
    >>page (cable connection). And my terrific password manager that i could
    >>not live without doesn't work in FF. IE has sharper well defined fonts on
    >>some web pages while FF has fat ones.
    >>
    >>I suspect that if "everyone' started using FF instead of IE then there'd
    >>be viruses and other baddies written at FF instead, and the same security
    >>problems would come up.

    > Oh yea - it (FF) couldn't even see the quicktime player on my webpage.
    > When I changed it to open and play in a new window, ot pl;ayed but part of
    > the joke (dennis miller joke) was mysteriously quiet.
    >
    > I really don't like FF. I use it to check my web pages occasionlly, or to
    > surf with, and it runs into display problems or download problems at times
    > besides the other stuff i mentioned.
    >
    > ...D.

    By criticizing IE I am not necessarily praising FF. IE simply doesn't
    stick to standards, forcing web developers to code sites the proper way
    for browsers that ARE compliant with W3C standards, and then insert
    cheats and cracks and hacks to make the darn thing work in IE. The
    software's features itself are not the issue (to me). It's Microsoft's
    egocentric attitutude of: "We're Microsoft. We ARE the standard.
    Revolve around THIS, b****."

    -Ryan

    Ryan Heuser, Mar 1, 2005
  9. Henry

    Vic Sowers Guest

    "Henry" <> wrote in message

    > The judgment is - to end of our miserable life in hands of The Judge and
    > The Executor - Bill Gates.
    >

    > Arghhhhh....
    >

    > :(

    That's soon to be "Sir Bill".

    :)

    Vic Sowers, Mar 1, 2005
  10. Henry

    BessieBee Guest

    wrote:

    >As long as people remain steadfast idiots, IE will never die.
    >
    >-Ryan

    "Make something idiot-proof and someone will come along and invent a
    better idiot." - sign on my son's bedroom door.

    BessieBee

    If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning. -Catherine Aird

    BessieBee, Mar 1, 2005
  11. Henry

    Kevin Scholl Guest

    Henry wrote:

    > Just read some news about IE 7.0.
    > Not dead as yet and Firefox seems to be the first candidate to die.
    > http://www.cnet.com/4520-6033_1-5666404-1.html?tag=nl.e501
    > IMHO - if new IE will have tagging, Firefox will be dead!
    > Unfortunately all coding have to be made to make IE happy.
    > Wonder what bugs he will have fixed.
    > Going back to my FP.
    > ;)

    The author of that article seems to have deeper issues. I mean, the
    three "problems" she mentions are due to her ignorance, or direct
    byproducts of HER system, not Firefox in general. For example:

    "Why is there no way to check for updates from within the browser, for
    one thing?"
    Hmmm ... obviously missed that FF displays a little icon when there are
    updates available. Of for those who care to check manually, there's this
    very capability in Tools | Options | Advanced | Software Updates.

    "Why does it take so doggone long to launch?"
    Barring system problems that may make her's longer, I hardly think a
    couple of seconds is long. Not as fast as IE (which loads quickly only
    by virtue of being mostly loaded as part of the OS), but faster than any
    of the Office apps.

    "Why, why must it crash every single time I open a PDF?"
    Because there's apparently something wrong with her configuration.

    I seriously doubt that FF is going anywhere ... except maybe UP.

    Kevin Scholl http://www.ksscholl.com/

    Information Architecture, Web Design and Development
    We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of
    the dreams...

    Kevin Scholl, Mar 2, 2005
  12. Henry

    mscir Guest

    Re: Having a hope that IE will die? I doubt it will. (load FF faster)

    Kevin Scholl wrote:
    > "Why does it take so doggone long to launch?"
    > Barring system problems that may make her's longer, I hardly think a
    > couple of seconds is long. Not as fast as IE (which loads quickly only
    > by virtue of being mostly loaded as part of the OS), but faster than any
    > of the Office apps.

    This cut the firefox load time by roughly 30% on my Win98 1GHz machine.

    ================================

    Support Alert, Free Edition
    www.techsupportalert.com
    Issue 118 - 16th February, 2005

    5. TIP OF THE MONTH
    ================================
    5.1 How to Make FireFox Load Much Faster

    Note: This tip is not suitable for inexperienced computer users.

    You can slash FireFox's slow load time by compressing the
    DLLs and executables. There are many choices for compression
    but I suggest you use UPX which is free, efficient and time
    proven.

    1. Download UPX from http://upx.sourceforge.net/#download

    2. Unzip upx.exe into your FireFox installation folder which is
    normally C:\Program Files\Mozilla FireFox.

    3. Make sure FireFox is not running then shell to a command
    prompt in the FireFox installation directory.

    4. Type in the following command in a single line and hit return:

    for %v in (*.exe *.dll components\*.dll plugins\*.dll) do upx
    "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\%v"

    5. If on some later occasion you want to unpack the files, just
    type in the command above but add the decompression switch "-d"
    after "do upx."

    mscir, Mar 2, 2005
  13. Kevin Scholl wrote:

    > "Why does it take so doggone long to launch?"
    > Barring system problems that may make her's longer, I hardly think a
    > couple of seconds is long. Not as fast as IE (which loads quickly only
    > by virtue of being mostly loaded as part of the OS), but faster than any
    > of the Office apps.

    I don't know about anyone else, but it runs for days, here, so I could
    care less how long it took to load, between 5 seconds or 30 seconds.
    Perhaps OP (or whoever, upthread) is using an OS that requires
    rebooting once or twice a day as "normal maintentance"; if so, the
    issue would seem to be more the OS, and less Firefox.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 2, 2005
  14. Henry

    mscir Guest

    mscir, Mar 2, 2005
  15. mscir wrote:
    > Kevin Scholl wrote:
    ><snip>
    >> I seriously doubt that FF is going anywhere ... except maybe UP.

    > This article agrees with you:

    > http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=60404066

    I'm surprised Firefox is surging like it is. I'm pleased with that;
    just caught off guard. I've moved to FF from years with Opera (and
    Netscape before that). What did the trick for me is mostly the great
    array of extensions. But it seems to me like Firefox is an evolutionary
    step in the NS-Moz chain, not a revolutionary step. And that's the
    reason for my surprise about it catching...uh...fire. Granted, it went
    gold during a period of unusually loud media grumblings about IE -- but
    I doubt that the clueless are paying any more attention to IE security
    issues and its other shortcomings any more than they ever have: it came
    on this here computer so it must b'God be the best dang thing there is.
    So what *has* created this minor-fad-like upswing for FF?

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 2, 2005
  16. Henry

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Blinky the Shark
    <> writing in

    > I doubt that the clueless are paying any more attention to IE security
    > issues and its other shortcomings any more than they ever have: it came
    > on this here computer so it must b'God be the best dang thing there is.

    No, but the people who the clueless take their computer to for repair, or
    come by and fix their computer, are installing FF for them. Then they
    are probably letting FF set itself as the default browser. Wow! FF just
    became the Internet!

    I'm sure these repair people are telling their clients that they are
    doing the installation to protect them, and I'm sure that goes right over
    the heads of a lot of these clients. I speak from experience.

    > So what *has* created this minor-fad-like upswing for FF?

    Word of mouth, being hip, dislike of Microsoft.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    Adrienne, Mar 2, 2005
  17. Adrienne wrote:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Blinky the Shark
    ><> writing in

    >> I doubt that the clueless are paying any more attention to IE security
    >> issues and its other shortcomings any more than they ever have: it came
    >> on this here computer so it must b'God be the best dang thing there is.

    > No, but the people who the clueless take their computer to for repair, or
    > come by and fix their computer, are installing FF for them. Then they
    > are probably letting FF set itself as the default browser. Wow! FF just
    > became the Internet!

    Hmmmm. Doesn't seem like this would be a very large factor. I hadn't
    thought about it, though. <thinking (ow!)> Still seems insignificant.

    > I'm sure these repair people are telling their clients that they are
    > doing the installation to protect them, and I'm sure that goes right over
    > the heads of a lot of these clients. I speak from experience.

    >> So what *has* created this minor-fad-like upswing for FF?

    > Word of mouth, being hip, dislike of Microsoft.

    Again: why FF, why now? What's different?

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 2, 2005
  18. in alt.html, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Adrienne wrote:
    > > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Blinky the Shark
    > ><> writing in

    > >> I doubt that the clueless are paying any more attention to IE security
    > >> issues and its other shortcomings any more than they ever have: it came
    > >> on this here computer so it must b'God be the best dang thing there is.

    Actually, clueless are learning hard way: getting viruses. With
    broadbands open all the time, antivirus might update too late to notice
    latest. And when you have virus in you machine and stops working, and be
    like that for week before you can get someone to fix it, it makes you
    somewhat more interested in security.

    > > No, but the people who the clueless take their computer to for repair, or
    > > come by and fix their computer, are installing FF for them. Then they
    > > are probably letting FF set itself as the default browser. Wow! FF just
    > > became the Internet!

    > Hmmmm. Doesn't seem like this would be a very large factor. I hadn't
    > thought about it, though. <thinking (ow!)> Still seems insignificant.

    Think about it. Avarage windows system needs knowledgefull help sooner or
    later. Then people ask someone that knows this stuff to fix it. Because
    they believe in knowledge ot this person, they will believe when they are
    told IE is big bag of shit. So if more technically avare people are
    swiching, on grounds of security, it will cause clueless to shiwt too,
    only with great delay.

    I really hope we will see 50% of non IE before IE7 is out. Because if it
    is secure, this slow movement to better browsers might stop.

    > > I'm sure these repair people are telling their clients that they are
    > > doing the installation to protect them, and I'm sure that goes right over
    > > the heads of a lot of these clients. I speak from experience.

    > >> So what *has* created this minor-fad-like upswing for FF?

    > > Word of mouth, being hip, dislike of Microsoft.

    > Again: why FF, why now? What's different?

    The difference is that FF is reasonably fast compared to IE, and today
    people have broadbands, making it easy to download it and more likely to
    get virus. Few years back, most people had modems.

    And it is common knowledge now that Microsoft sucks.

    Utrecht, NL.

    Lauri Raittila, Mar 2, 2005
  19. Henry

    Kevin Scholl Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > So what *has* created this minor-fad-like upswing for FF?

    IMNSOHO, it's pretty simple: once someone tries it and finds that it is
    indeed a superior browser on many levels, they tell their friends, who
    then tell their friends, etc. Coupled with the occasional mainstream
    news notice, such word of mouth is a powerful evangelistic tool.

    Kevin Scholl, Mar 3, 2005
  20. Henry

    Andy Dingley Guest

    It was somewhere outside Barstow when BessieBee
    <> wrote:

    >"Make something idiot-proof and someone will come along and invent a
    >better idiot." - sign on my son's bedroom door.

    Hey, this is alt.html _Our_ pet idiot is world-class.

    Andy Dingley, Mar 3, 2005