Having a MIDI file play throughout a site

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Tyler Cruz, Nov 30, 2003.

  1. Tyler Cruz

    Tyler Cruz Guest

    Hi,

    First off, please spare me the flames of how MIDI is deemed as evil. I'm
    displaying this on my forums, and most of my users love it. (Christmas
    music).

    Okay, basically I don't want the MIDI to keep restarting whenever somebody
    visits another page. I have thought of 3 possible solutions:

    1. With a pop-up window if there is a way to detect if the window is open.
    If there isn't, then this wouldn't work, as new pop-ups would keep opening.

    2. With cookies (for the pop up). However, this would require a lot of
    coding, and would be difficult.

    3. With frames. However, my forum software would make this incredibly
    difficult.. all the links would need target changing, etc.

    So any help would be appreciated!!

    Thanks,

    Tyler
    Tyler Cruz, Nov 30, 2003

  2. Tyler Cruz

    Spartanicus Guest

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Nov 30, 2003

  3. Tyler Cruz

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:F5gyb.523488$6C4.105327@pd7tw1no>
    Tyler Cruz said:

    > First off, please spare me the flames of how MIDI is deemed as evil.

    well it is. have you ever been inflicted with it? the normal creams just
    don't work anymore, you need a series of big needles to get rid of it
    and the rash still comes back every now and then! i think you're in
    denial

    > (Christmas music).

    <bangs head up and down on desk/> next you'll be wanting those stupid
    f^%&ing snowflakes.

    --
    brucie
    30/November/2003 07:02:16 pm kilo
    brucie, Nov 30, 2003
  4. Tyler Cruz

    DU Guest

    [followup-to alt.html only]

    Tyler Cruz wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > First off, please spare me the flames of how MIDI is deemed as evil.

    A wide majority of sites do not use MIDI. If you really want assistance
    on this issue, then you should research the issue before talking about
    implementing it: you should keep an open mind and look for pros and cons
    about it. That is what a professional web designer with a responsible,
    mature and reasonable attitude would do. He would not have a "First off,
    buzz off and just gimme the answer" attitude.

    I'm
    > displaying this on my forums, and most of my users love it.

    Really? How do you know this for sure? When I reach a site that annoys
    me, I quit and don't come back: this is what a wide majority of people
    do, you know. How is the site going to know that his site annoys me? How
    is the site going to have a fair and balanced view of his site
    usability, etc.?

    (Christmas
    > music).
    >
    > Okay, basically I don't want the MIDI to keep restarting

    If they love the music, then your implementation should give the user
    full control over issues like having the midi repeat itself endlessly or
    the midi never starting until the user clicks wittingly on a button for
    it. Full and explicit control of the user over this Christmas music (and
    100% flexibility) should be the issue (and one of your website goal) here.

    whenever somebody
    > visits another page. I have thought of 3 possible solutions:

    You are already speaking of solutions when we do not see your website
    analysis. No url.

    > 1. With a pop-up window if there is a way to detect if the window is open.
    > If there isn't, then this wouldn't work, as new pop-ups would keep opening.

    Popups are widely considered as bad by a majority of professional
    webdesigners for many reasons I won't explain here. They should be used
    when a website requirements and analysis consider such decision as a
    justified and responsible one. Here, we don't have a single clue on what
    his your website.

    > 2. With cookies (for the pop up). However, this would require a lot of
    > coding, and would be difficult.

    You talk in an abstract manner here. No site. No url. No website analysis.

    > 3. With frames. However, my forum software would make this incredibly
    > difficult.. all the links would need target changing, etc.

    Frames are obsolete and never recommendable in my opinion (iframe is a
    different matter). They bring several usability difficulties on a site.

    > So any help would be appreciated!!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tyler

    I have absolutely no idea why you forward that a MIDI file play should
    be considered in conjunction with a popup window or with frames.

    Start with given an url, your website goals, requirements, etc.. Also,
    make sure your site uses valid markup code. I assure you that if you
    adopt an open-mind attitude, people in this newsgroup will provide you
    with sound (no pun intended) recommendations. Fair enough?

    DU

    [followup-to alt.html only]
    DU, Nov 30, 2003
  5. Tyler Cruz

    Louis Somers Guest

    "Tyler Cruz" <> wrote in

    > 1. With a pop-up window if there is a way to detect if the window is
    > open. If there isn't, then this wouldn't work, as new pop-ups would
    > keep opening.

    I would suggest a popup, but not automatic. Put a link on each page so the
    user can click if he wants music. If he clicks, give him a popup with
    options to swich it off again or to choose a different soundtrack.

    An example can be found at http://www.christiananswers.net/midimenu.html

    Hope this helps.

    --
    News Updater, No scripts, No Database
    http://www.xmlssoftware.com/NUpdater
    Louis Somers, Nov 30, 2003
  6. Tyler Cruz wrote in message ...
    > First off, please spare me the flames of how MIDI is deemed as evil. I'm
    > displaying this on my forums, and most of my users love it. (Christmas
    > music).

    I *occasionally* place a midi track on my motorcycle forums at <http://www.F650.cc>, but very
    rarely, as it can (and probably does) drive people bonkers. I include the stop and volume control by
    using <embed src="whatever-it-is.mid"> so folks can turn it off.

    Here's a couple of cheesy examples
    <http://onmy.sirium.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4096>

    <http://onmy.sirium.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=654>

    Don't blame me - you did ask :~)
    --
    Trevor George, Bristol, UK. http://www.OnMyWindow.co.uk
    Trevor George, Nov 30, 2003
  7. Tyler Cruz

    Tyler Cruz Guest

    I already have the snowflakes up lol...

    Tyler Cruz, Nov 30, 2003
  8. Tyler Cruz wrote in message ...
    > I already have the snowflakes up lol...

    C'mon then - Be brave - tell us your URL :~)

    --
    Trevor George, Bristol, UK. http://www.OnMyWindow.co.uk
    Trevor George, Nov 30, 2003
  9. Tyler Cruz

    Tyler Cruz Guest

    Unfortunately it's the same problem; the pop up reloads when I go back to
    that page..

    Tyler Cruz, Nov 30, 2003
  10. Tyler Cruz

    Tyler Cruz Guest

    http://www.movie-vault.com

    "Trevor George" <> wrote in
    message news:GIryb.15722$...

    Tyler Cruz, Nov 30, 2003
  11. Tyler Cruz

    Barefoot Kid Guest

    "brucie" <> wrote in message
    | in post <news:F5gyb.523488$6C4.105327@pd7tw1no>
    | Tyler Cruz said:
    |
    | > First off, please spare me the flames of how MIDI is deemed as evil.
    |
    | well it is. have you ever been inflicted with it? the normal creams just
    | don't work anymore, you need a series of big needles to get rid of it
    | and the rash still comes back every now and then! i think you're in
    | denial
    |
    | > (Christmas music).
    |
    | <bangs head up and down on desk/> next you'll be wanting those stupid
    | f^%&ing snowflakes.

    nowt wrong with snowflakes :p
    Hung Diep
    New Media Designer
    www.intro-spect.co.uk
    0795 6576 319
    Barefoot Kid, Nov 30, 2003
  12. Tyler Cruz

    Louis Somers Guest

    "Tyler Cruz" <> wrote in

    > Unfortunately it's the same problem; the pop up reloads when I go back
    > to that page..

    I consider it bad style to make the popup automatic (allthough the example
    did it). You should rather have a link like this on each page:

    Play background music</a>

    Then the users can start it themselves whenever they want.

    Louis Somers, Dec 1, 2003
  13. Tyler Cruz

    Chef Blair Guest

    "Tyler Cruz" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > First off, please spare me the flames of how MIDI is deemed as evil. I'm
    > displaying this on my forums, and most of my users love it. (Christmas
    > music).
    >
    > Okay, basically I don't want the MIDI to keep restarting whenever somebody
    > visits another page. I have thought of 3 possible solutions:
    >
    > 1. With a pop-up window if there is a way to detect if the window is open.
    > If there isn't, then this wouldn't work, as new pop-ups would keep

    opening.

    > 2. With cookies (for the pop up). However, this would require a lot of
    > coding, and would be difficult.
    >
    > 3. With frames. However, my forum software would make this incredibly
    > difficult.. all the links would need target changing, etc.
    >
    > So any help would be appreciated!!
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Tyler

    Check out this Midi Player it uses it own window.
    http://www.frenchpastrychef.com/javajuke/
    Chef Blair, Dec 8, 2003