Having access to a VHDL "signal" using ModelSim

?

=?iso-8859-1?q?Guilherme_Corr=EAa?=

Hello,

I'm just starting to use ModelSim Altera Web Edition and I'm facing
some problems when I try to access the signals defined in my VHDL code.
These signal aren't visible in the ModelSim interface after the
compilation using Quartus II, but I can see the FPGA signals.
Is there any assertion that I could do to have access to these signals?

Thanks a lot.
Guilherme Corrêa.

KJ

Guilherme Corrêa said:
Hello,

I'm just starting to use ModelSim Altera Web Edition and I'm facing
some problems when I try to access the signals defined in my VHDL code.
These signal aren't visible in the ModelSim interface after the
compilation using Quartus II, but I can see the FPGA signals.
Is there any assertion that I could do to have access to these signals?

Thanks a lot.
Guilherme Corrêa.

Don't use the compilation output file from Quartus for simulation, use your
input VHDL file.

KJ

?

=?iso-8859-1?q?Guilherme_Corr=EAa?=

Thanks for your answer, KJ.

Actually, I'm compiling my code with Quartus II because I need the
information from de FPGA (internal signals, delays, etc.). If I compile
with Quartus II and simulate with ModelSim, I can obtain these
information from the FPGA.

Guilherme Corrêa.

KJ

Guilherme Corrêa said:
Thanks for your answer, KJ.

Actually, I'm compiling my code with Quartus II because I need the
information from de FPGA (internal signals, delays, etc.). If I compile
with Quartus II and simulate with ModelSim, I can obtain these
information from the FPGA.

Guilherme Corrêa.

Then don't expect any of your signal names to show up in the output from
Quartus. When you run through Quartus (or any other synthesis tool that
turns VHDL into a bitstream to program the device) it runs through a set of
operations that optomizes the code that you've written so that it can be
implemented within the primitives that it has to work with (i.e. look up
tables and flip flops mostly). One result of that is that basically none of
your signal names will retain the name that you gave it.

Some signal names that tend to survive this process are the inputs/outputs
of the top level of the design and (usually) outputs of flip flops.

KJ

Ralf Hildebrandt

Guilherme Corrêa schrieb:

I'm just starting to use ModelSim Altera Web Edition and I'm facing
some problems when I try to access the signals defined in my VHDL code.
These signal aren't visible in the ModelSim interface after the
compilation using Quartus II, but ...

After synthesis a lot of signal names change.

Often the name of a signal, that is driven by a flipflop is not changed,
if the signal was not part of a vector. If the signal was part of a
vector, the signal may be transformed from "my_vector(0)" to
"my_vector_0" or a similar name.
Inputs and outputs retain their names.
If you make the hierarchy flat a signal in a subcomponent may be renamed
to "subcomponentinstance_mysignal" or similar.

Have a look into your netlist - let your synthesis tool generate a
netlist in a format you can read - e.g. VHDL. Search for the desired
names or parts of the desired name. With some luck you will find them.

Ralf

canadianJaouk

Xilinx XST synthesizer has the optiont of keeping the hierarchy when
going through synthesis... Symplify has somehting like that too. I
would assume there must be a similar option in Quartus. If you could
find such an option, you may be able to make sense of the internal
signals. Keep in mind that the implementation itself will be different
since you asked the tools not to break the hierarchy of the design...

Mike Treseler

Guilherme said:
Actually, I'm compiling my code with Quartus II because I need the
information from de FPGA (internal signals, delays, etc.)

Consider using Modelsim to test your code directly
and Quartus static timing to check timing on
the routed netlist.

-- Mike Treseler