Having C code looking like C++ code

Fronsac

Hi,
I've been asked in a job interview how to make C code look like C++
code, and honestly I didn't know what to answer because I have never really
done a lot of C. Now, I've been searching around the web about web sites
that talk about this subject, but I've had no luck. Can anyone point me to
some web site about this subject? Thanks a lot!

bd

Fronsac said:
Hi,
I've been asked in a job interview how to make C code look like C++
code, and honestly I didn't know what to answer because I have never
really done a lot of C. Now, I've been searching around the web about web
sites that talk about this subject, but I've had no luck. Can anyone point
me to some web site about this subject? Thanks a lot!

Making C code look like C++ generally requires making it actually be C++.
Why would you try to make one language only look like another? There's no
advantage, unless you're trying for the IOCCC.

Dave Vandervies

Hi,
I've been asked in a job interview how to make C code look like C++
code, and honestly I didn't know what to answer because I have never really
done a lot of C. Now, I've been searching around the web about web sites
that talk about this subject, but I've had no luck. Can anyone point me to
some web site about this subject? Thanks a lot!

Answer #1: Why would you want to?
Answer #2: By writing bad C code
Answer #2b: By writing C code that looks like bad C++ code
Answer #3: By writing in the common subset of C and C++ (but see #1 and #2)
Answer #4: What are you really trying to find out?

One possibility is that they want C++-clean C code for a possible upgrade
path to C++. The correct solution to this is to use C++'s `extern "C"'
to allow C and C++ code to be linked together, and have C (compiled as
C) and C++ (compiled as C++) linked together when they want old (C)
code and new (C++) code in the same program. All that this requires
is that the header files used be both C-clean and C++-clean, which is
rather easier than the general case of all code.

Unless they're talking about all the angle brackets that C++ uses.
You might be able to get away with using the <: and :> digraphs for that.

dave

--
Dave Vandervies (e-mail address removed)
till not good enough for Richard Heathfield, but what can you do, really?

You could always write "only for clever people" on the cover.
--Ben Pfaff and Richard Heathfield in comp.lang.c

Fronsac

Making C code look like C++ generally requires making it actually be C++.
Why would you try to make one language only look like another? There's no
advantage, unless you're trying for the IOCCC.

C++ is not always accessible on some platforms (think game consoles like the
old game boy might not have access to a C++ compiler), so you'll have to use
C and some tricks to have it behave like C++. From what I've gathered so
far, it's impossible with C syntax to achieve inheritence, though you can
fake it. For example :

struct Foo {
int var1;
}

struct Bar {
struct Foo base;
int var2;
}

Bar* createBar() {
return malloc( sizeof(Bar) );
}

void foo_incVar1( Foo* foo ) {
foo->var1++;
}

void bar_incVar2( Bar* bar ) {
bar->var2++;
/* though, you realize that if I want to access var1, I have to do
bar->base.var1, or ((Foo*)bar)->var1).
The thing that bugs me most though is that you can encapsulate your
data. */
}

void main() {
Foo* foo = (Foo*) createBar();
foo_incVar1( foo ); /* increments var1 */
bar_incVar2( (Bar*) foo ); /* increments var2 */
}

And you can use function pointers to simulate virtual methods for your
"objects".

Irrwahn Grausewitz

Fronsac said:
Hi,
I've been asked in a job interview how to make C code look like C++
code, and honestly I didn't know what to answer because I have never really
done a lot of C. Now, I've been searching around the web about web sites
that talk about this subject, but I've had no luck. Can anyone point me to
some web site about this subject? Thanks a lot!

You posted the same question with slightly different subject lines
to (at least) a.c.l.l.c-c++ and c.l.c.

If you feel the need to post to more than one news-group, please
cross-post rather than multi-post. Thank you.

BTW: C++ is off-topic in c.l.c.

Irrwahn,
change codepage to make english text look like chinese text.

Nathan

Hi,
I've been asked in a job interview how to make C code look like C++
code, and honestly I didn't know what to answer because I have never really
done a lot of C. Now, I've been searching around the web about web sites
that talk about this subject, but I've had no luck. Can anyone point me to
some web site about this subject? Thanks a lot!

Hi,

Do you mean you want to do object oriented programming in C? In that case,
there are many ways of doing this. The following article describes one way:
http://www.accu.org/acornsig/public/articles/oop_c.html

Regards,
Nathan

Fronsac

You posted the same question with slightly different subject lines
to (at least) a.c.l.l.c-c++ and c.l.c.

Yeah, I was too lazy to copy-paste the subject line from the other post. I
posted in two forums just to be sure at least one person answered me. :)
If you feel the need to post to more than one news-group, please
cross-post rather than multi-post. Thank you.

What is cross-post? Could you explain me what it is and how to do it? Thanks
a lot.
BTW: C++ is off-topic in c.l.c.

That's fine. I only asked here because I wanted to know more about a certain
way to code in C, and I thought here would be a great place to start.

Joona I Palaste

What is cross-post? Could you explain me what it is and how to do it? Thanks
a lot.

Cross-posting is posting the same article to multiple newsgroups
simulatenously. Not identical copies of the article - the SAME article.
How to actually do this depends on your newsreader. All that is NEEDED
is that the NNTP headers have a "Newsgroups:" line consisting of
multiple newsgroup names (separated with commas), but not all
newsreaders allow you to edit NNTP headers directly. (tin, which I use
myself, does.)
Another way, and one recommended for Usenet beginners who don't yet
know how NNTP works, is to look around the "compose message" (or
similar) window and search for a text box labelled "Newsgroup" or
something. Then just type multiple group names (separated with commas)
there. Depending on your newsreader, it might or might not work. It
will work on most non-brain-dead newsreaders. (I count Microsoft
Outlook Express as non-brain-dead, but Google as brain-dead.)

--
/-- Joona Palaste ([email protected]) ---------------------------\
"You could take his life and..."

stelios xanthakis

Ben Pfaff

Fronsac said:
I've been asked in a job interview how to make C code look like C++
code, and honestly I didn't know what to answer because I have never really
done a lot of C. Now, I've been searching around the web about web sites
that talk about this subject, but I've had no luck. Can anyone point me to
some web site about this subject? Thanks a lot!

You could name all of your header files without .h suffixes.

Richard Heathfield

Fronsac said:
Yeah, I was too lazy to copy-paste the subject line from the other post.

Lazy doesn't win friends on Usenet - at least, not when the lazy person is
the one asking for help.
posted in two forums just to be sure at least one person answered me. :)

What is cross-post? Could you explain me what it is and how to do it?

Cross-posting is the posting of one article to more than one newsgroup
(rather than posting two identical articles to one newsgroup each). Typical
newsreaders allow you to do this by typing more than one group name into
the "Groups" header when you are creating your article.

The reason for cross-posting is that it allows newsreaders to deal
intelligently with the thread when a reader (such as myself) subscribes to
/both/ the newsgroups to which you have cross-posted. Having presented your
article to me in one group, it would not bother to do so in the second,
because it would "know" that I'd already read the article.

When you post identical articles with separate message IDs in separate
groups (as you did this time around), the newsreader can't legitimately
associate them, so it doesn't. This costs your readers time. Incurring
unnecessary costs of your readers is not a good idea when /you/ are asking
/them/ for help.

Fronsac

Cross-posting is the posting of one article to more than one newsgroup
(rather than posting two identical articles to one newsgroup each). Typical
newsreaders allow you to do this by typing more than one group name into
the "Groups" header when you are creating your article.

Thanks a lot. I'm not sure Outlook Express does this, but Outlook is only a
temporary solution anyway. Thanks for the info.

Michael Winter

Fronsac said:
each).

Thanks a lot. I'm not sure Outlook Express does this, but Outlook is only a
temporary solution anyway. Thanks for the info.

Outlook Express does support cross-posting. If you click "Newsgroups"
(the icon and label, not the text-box to it's right) a dialog will
appear. Here you can select one or more destination groups.
Alternatively, you can type them in the text-box separated by commas,
if you really want. If you do cross-post, you might also want to set
up where follow-ups to your post are sent, rather than have them
bounce around all of the groups (why have a potentially huge
conversation appear in multiple groups?). To do this, select "All
Headers" from the "View" menu then use the "Followup-To" section like
the "Newgroups" section, but only add one newgroup (the most
appropriate for your question is probably best). You can ignore the
other sections it adds (except "Subject", of course).

Mike

James Hu

I've been asked in a job interview how to make C code look like C++
code, and honestly I didn't know what to answer because I have never
really done a lot of C. Now, I've been searching around the web about
web sites that talk about this subject, but I've had no luck. Can
anyone point me to some web site about this subject? Thanks a lot!

Let's consider a simple example: providing an integer stack.

Here's a typical way of doing it:

+---
| /* -- stack.h -- */
| extern int push(int value);
| extern int pop(int *value);
| extern void popall(void);
+---
| /* -- stack.c -- */
| #include "stack.h"
|
| #define MAX_STACK 100
| static int stack[MAX_STACK];
| static unsigned count;
|
| int push(int value) {
| if (count >= MAX_STACK) return -1;
| stack[count++] = value;
| return 0;
| }
|
| int pop(int *value) {
| if (count == 0) return -1;
| *value = stack[--count];
| return 0;
| }
|
| void popall(void) {
| count = 0;
| }
+---

There may be other deficiencies with this implementation, but at least
one of them is that any application that uses this implementation is
limited to only one stack. There are various ways of addressing this
issue, but one of the most short sighted ways is to simply copy off
stack.c to another file stack2.c and rename the functions push2 and
pop2 to create a second stack.

Better is to encapsulate the stack in a structure so that an
application can create as many stacks as it needs without having to
apply cut and paste coding.

+---
| /* -- stack.h -- */
| #define MAX_STACK 100
| typedef struct stacktype {
| int stack[MAX_STACK];
| unsigned count;
| } stacktype;
|
| extern int push(stacktype *s, int value);
| extern int pop(stacktype *s, int *value);
| extern void popall(stacktype *s);
+---
| /* -- stack.c -- */
| #include "stack.h"
|
| int push(stacktype *s, int value) {
| if (s->count >= MAX_STACK) return -1;
| s->stack[s->count++] = value;
| return 0;
| }
|
| int pop(stacktype *s, int *value) {
| if (s->count == 0) return -1;
| *value = s->stack[--s->count];
| return 0;
| }
|
| void popall(stacktype *s) {
| s->count = 0;
| }
+---

This implementation is sufficient for most applications needing an
integer stack. However, another minor drawback is that all stacks
are always of the same size. In order to avoid the cut and paste
solution to allow different sized stacks, this property should also be
encapsulated within the stack data structure. However, now the stack
implementation is exposed to the extent that users of the interface must
muck around inside the encapsulation to use the interface. In order to
decouple the interface from the implementaiton, we make the stacktype
opaque. The result provides a limited form of polymorphism, since
the stack interface client need not be aware of how the stack was
created to use the stack.

+---
| /* -- stack.h -- */
| typedef struct stacktype stacktype;
|
| extern stacktype *create_bounded_stack(unsigned stacksize);
| extern void destroy_stack(stacktype *s);
|
| extern int push(stacktype *s, int value);
| extern int pop(stacktype *s, int *value);
| extern void popall(stacktype *s);
+---
| /* -- stack.c -- */
| #include <stdlib.h>
| #include "stack.h"
|
| struct stacktype {
| unsigned max_stack;
| unsigned count;
| int stack[];
| };
|
| int push(stacktype *s, int value) {
| if (s->count >= s->max_stack) return -1;
| s->stack[s->count++] = value;
| return 0;
| }
|
| int pop(stacktype *s, int *value) {
| if (s->count == 0) return -1;
| *value = s->stack[--s->count];
| return 0;
| }
|
| void popall(stacktype *s) {
| s->count = 0;
| }
|
| void destroy_stack(stacktype *s) {
| free(s);
| }
|
| stacktype *create_bounded_stack(unsigned stacksize) {
| stacktype *s;
| if (stacksize == 0) return 0;
| s = malloc(sizeof(stacktype) + stacksize*sizeof(int));
| if (s != 0) {
| s->max_stack = stacksize;
| s->count = 0;
| }
| return s;
| }
+---

The final point we will address is that the interface only provides
a bounded stack implementation. Suppose an application is utilizing
the stack in multiple modules. In some modules, the bounded stack
is required, because it is used to throttle the work load. In other
modules, it has been determined that a bounded stack is unacceptable,
since pre-allocating the maximum required memory is too wasteful, and
and the most common cases only require a small amount of memory.

Again, one could perform cut and paste, rename the stack interfaces
for an unbounded implementation, and alter the modules that need the
unbounded implementation to use the new interface. However, to avoid
the pitfalls of cut and paste programming, an alternative solution
is to make the interface inheritable and extensible. Then, applying
reuse on the interface, implement the unbounded stack.

+---
| /* -- stack.h -- */
| typedef struct stacktype stacktype;
| struct stacktype {
| int (*push)(stacktype *s, int value);
| int (*pop)(stacktype *s, int *value);
| void (*popall)(stacktype *s);
| void (*destroy)(stacktype *s);
| };
|
| static inline int push(stacktype *s, int value) {return s->push(s, value);}
| static inline int pop(stacktype *s, int *value) {return s->pop(s, value);}
| static inline void popall(stacktype *s) {s->popall(s);}
| static inline void destroy_stack(stacktype *s) {s->destroy(s);}
+---
| /* -- bounded_stack.h -- */
| #include "stack.h"
| extern stacktype *create_bounded_stack(unsigned stacksize);
+---
| /* -- bounded_stack.c -- */
| #include <stdlib.h>
| #include "bounded_stack.h"
|
| typedef struct bounded_stacktype {
| stacktype interface;
| unsigned max_stack;
| unsigned count;
| int stack[];
| } bounded_stacktype;
|
| static int bounded_push(stacktype *s, int value) {
| bounded_stacktype *bs = (void *)s;
| if (bs->count >= bs->max_stack) return -1;
| bs->stack[bs->count++] = value;
| return 0;
| }
|
| static int bounded_pop(stacktype *s, int *value) {
| bounded_stacktype *bs = (void *)s;
| if (bs->count == 0) return -1;
| *value = bs->stack[--bs->count];
| return 0;
| }
|
| static void bounded_popall(stacktype *s) {
| bounded_stacktype *bs = (void *)s;
| bs->count = 0;
| }
|
| static void destroy_bounded_stack(stacktype *s) {
| free(s);
| }
|
| static const stacktype bounded_stack_interface = {
| bounded_push,
| bounded_pop,
| bounded_popall,
| destroy_bounded_stack,
| };
|
| stacktype *create_bounded_stack(unsigned stacksize) {
| bounded_stacktype *bs;
| if (stacksize == 0) return 0;
| bs = malloc(sizeof(bounded_stacktype) + stacksize*sizeof(int));
| if (bs == 0) return 0;
| bs->interface = bounded_stack_interface;
| bs->max_stack = stacksize;
| bs->count = 0;
| return &bs->interface;
| }
+---
| /* -- unbounded_stack.h -- */
| #include "stack.h"
| extern stacktype *create_unbounded_stack(void);
+---
> [...]
| }
|
| static void destroy_unbounded_substack(unbounded_substacktype *s) {
| destroy_stack(s->substack);
| free(s);
| }
|
| typedef struct unbounded_stacktype {
| stacktype interface;
| unbounded_substacktype *current_stack;
| unbounded_substacktype *free_stack;
| } unbounded_stacktype;
|
| static int unbounded_push(stacktype *s, int value) {
| unbounded_stacktype *us = (void *)s;
| unbounded_substacktype *cs = us->current_stack;
| unbounded_substacktype *fs;
| if (cs == 0 || push(cs->substack, value) == -1) {
| fs = us->free_stack;
| if (fs == 0) {
| if ((fs = create_unbounded_substack()) == 0) return -1;
| } else us->free_stack = 0;
| fs->link = cs;
| cs = us->current_stack = fs;
| return push(cs->substack, value);
| }
| return 0;
| }
|
| static int unbounded_pop(stacktype *s, int *value) {
| unbounded_stacktype *us = (void *)s;
| unbounded_substacktype *cs = us->current_stack;
| unbounded_substacktype *fs;
| if (cs == 0) return -1;
| if (pop(cs->substack, value) == -1) {
| fs = cs;
| cs = us->current_stack = cs->link;
| if (us->free_stack == 0) us->free_stack = fs;
| else destroy_unbounded_substack(fs);
| return pop(cs->substack, value);
| }
| return 0;
| }
|
| static void unbounded_popall(stacktype *s) {
| unbounded_stacktype *us = (void *)s;
| unbounded_substacktype *cs = us->current_stack;
| unbounded_substacktype *fs = us->free_stack;
| if (cs == 0) return;
| if (fs == 0) {
| fs = us->free_stack = cs;
| cs = us->current_stack = cs->link;
| fs->link = 0;
| popall(fs->substack);
| }
| while (cs != 0) {
| cs = cs->link;
| destroy_unbounded_substack(us->current_stack);
| us->current_stack = cs;
| }
| }
|
| static void destroy_unbounded_stack(stacktype *s) {
| unbounded_stacktype *us = (void *)s;
| unbounded_popall(s);
| if (us->free_stack) destroy_unbounded_substack(us->free_stack);
| free(s);
| }
|
| static const stacktype unbounded_stack_interface = {
| unbounded_push,
| unbounded_pop,
| unbounded_popall,
| destroy_unbounded_stack,
| };
|
| stacktype *create_unbounded_stack(void) {
| unbounded_stacktype *us;
| us = malloc(sizeof(unbounded_stacktype));
| if (us == 0) return 0;
| us->interface = unbounded_stack_interface;
+---

The final example shows an extensible polymorphic interface in C. The
interface is exposed in an object that can be inherited. The example
leverages the inheritance to provide multiple implementations of the
interface. Code utilizing the interface can be simultaneously reused to
manipulate either a bounded or unbounded stack. Code can furthermore
inherit the interface and provide their own implementations.

This is of course only an example, and the techniques applied here is
arguably overkill for such a simple data structure. The simplicity,
however, allows the techniques to be illustrated in a relatively
straight forward and compact manner. These techniques here are nothing
new to the experienced software professional. They will be found in OS
kernel code, I/O interface APIs, protocol stacks, GUI APIs, and many
other places.

-- James

Lorenzo Villari

Or you can study the lightweight C++ preprocessor, which takes as input
a language that looks like C++ and produces good old C.

AHEM... although I think it's really interesting and I've successfully
used it, given something like

my_var_ptr = new myclass(param);

you get

my_var_ptr = (
{ struct myclass*InTeRnAl_y = (struct myclass *)malloc(sizeof(struct
myclass));
myclass_ctor(InTeRnAl_y, param);
InTeRnAl_y; } );

I think this should be instead

struct myclass *InTeRnAl_y = malloc(sizeof(struct myclass));
my_var_ptr = InTeRnAl_y
myclass_ctor(InTeRnAl_y, param);

Not to mention some gcc extensions like

static void GlObALcOnStRuCtOr ( )
static void (*_Counter_cppAsCiiArT)(void) __attribute__ ((unused,__section__
(".ctors"))) = GlObALcOnStRuCtOr;

appended to every source "translated"...

Ah... and you can't compile the sources without gcc... (plus cygwin on
Windows..).

PS: Anyway I've supported it from the start ^^

E. Robert Tisdale

Fronsac said:
I've been asked in a job interview how to make C code look like C++
code, and honestly I didn't know what to answer because I have never really
done a lot of C. Now, I've been searching around the web about web sites
that talk about this subject, but I've had no luck.

$ cat Point.h
#ifndef _Point_h
#define _Point_h 1

typedef struct {
/* representation */
double X;
double Y;
} Point;
/* functions */
double
xPoint(const Point *p);
double
yPoint(const Point *p);
/* constructors */
Point
createDefaultPoint(void);
Point
createExplicitPoint(double x, double y);
/* destructor */
void
destroyPoint(Point* p);

#endif /* _Point_h */

$ cat Point.c
/* gcc -I. -O2 -c Point.c
*/
#include<Point.h>

/* functions */
double
xPoint(const Point *p) {
return p->X; }
double
yPoint(const Point *p) {
return p->Y; }
/* constructors */
Point
createDefaultPoint(void) {
Point p;
p.X = 0.0;
p.Y = 0.0;
return p; }
Point
createExplicitPoint(double x, double y) {
Point p;
p.X = x;
p.Y = y;
return p;
}
/* destructor */
void
destroyPoint(Point* p) { }

$ cat Color.h
#ifndef _Color_h
#define _Color_h 1
typedef struct {
unsigned char R; /* red */
unsigned char G; /* green */
unsigned char B; /* blue */
} Color;
/* functions */
unsigned int
redColor(const Color *c);
unsigned int
greenColor(const Color *c);
unsigned int
blueColor(const Color *c);
/* constructors */
Color
createDefaultColor(void);
Color
createExplicitColor(
unsigned int r,
unsigned int g,
unsigned int b);
/* destructor */
void
destroyColor(Color *c);

#endif /* _Color_h */

$ cat Color.c
/* gcc -I. -O2 -c Color.c
*/
#include<Color.h>

/* functions */
unsigned int
redColor(const Color *c) {
return c->R; }
unsigned int
greenColor(const Color *c) {
return c->G; }
unsigned int
blueColor(const Color *c) {
return c->B; }
/* constructors */
Color
createDefaultColor(void) {
Color c;
c.R = 0;
c.G = 0;
c.B = 0;
return c; }
Color
createExplicitColor(
unsigned int r,
unsigned int g,
unsigned int b) {
Color c;
c.R = r;
c.G = g;
c.B = b;
return c; }
/* destructor */
void
destroyColor(Color *c) { }

$ cat Shape.h
#ifndef _Shape_h
#define _Shape_h 1

#include<Point.h>
#include<Color.h>

typedef void* virtual_t;
typedef struct {
Point P; /* first public base class */
Color C; /* second public base class */
virtual_t* V; /* virtual function table */
} Shape;
/* functions */
Point*
pointShape(Shape* s);
Color*
colorShape(Shape* s);
void
drawShape(const Shape *s);
void
drawGeneralShape(const Shape *s);
double
areaShape(const Shape *s);
double
areaGeneralShape(const Shape *s);
/* constructors */
Shape
createDefaultShape(void);
Shape
createExplicitShape(
const Point *p,
const Color *c);
/* destructor */
void
destroyShape(Shape *s);

#endif /* _Shape_h */

$ cat Shape.c
/* gcc -I. -O2 -c Shape.c
*/
#include<stdio.h>
#include<Shape.h>

typedef void (*drawShape_t)(const Shape *);
typedef double (*areaShape_t)(const Shape *);
/* functions */
Point*
pointShape(Shape* s) {
return &(s->P); }
Color*
colorShape(Shape* s) {
return &(s->C); }
void
drawGeneralShape(const Shape *s) {
fprintf(stderr, "drawShape(const Shape *s)\n");
fflush(stderr); }
double
areaGeneralShape(const Shape *s) {
fprintf(stderr, "areaShape(const Shape *s)\n");
fflush(stderr);
return 0.0; }
static virtual_t
vtableShape[] = {(virtual_t)drawGeneralShape,
(virtual_t)areaGeneralShape};
void
drawShape(const Shape *s) {
((drawShape_t)(s->V[0]))(s); }
double
areaShape(const Shape *s) {
return ((areaShape_t)(s->V[1]))(s); }
/* constructors */
Shape
createDefaultShape(void) {
Shape S;
S.P = createDefaultPoint();
S.C = createDefaultColor();
S.V = vtableShape;
return S; }
Shape
createExplicitShape(
const Point *p,
const Color *c) {
Shape S;
S.P = *p;
S.C = *c;
S.V = vtableShape;
return S; }
/* destructor */
void
destroyShape(Shape *s) {
destroyColor(colorShape(s));
destroyPoint(pointShape(s));
}

$ cat Circle.h
#ifndef _Circle_h
#define _Circle_h 1

#include<Shape.h>

typedef struct {
Shape S; /* public base class */
double R; /* radius */
} Circle;
/* functions */
Shape*
shapeCircle(Circle* c);
double
radiusCircle(const Circle* c);
void
drawCircle(const Circle *c);
double
areaCircle(const Circle *c);
/* constructors */
Circle
createDefaultCircle(void);
Circle
createExplicitCircle(const Shape *s, double r);
/* destructor */
void
destroyCircle(Circle *c);

#endif /* _Circle_h */

$ cat Circle.c
/* gcc -I. -O2 -c Circle.c
*/
#include<math.h>
#include<stdio.h>
#include<Circle.h>

typedef void (*drawCircle_t)(const Circle *);
typedef double (*areaCircle_t)(const Circle *);
/* functions */
Shape*
shapeCircle(Circle* c) {
return &(c->S); }
double
radiusCircle(const Circle* c) {
return c->R; }
void
drawCircle(const Circle *c) {
fprintf(stderr, "drawCircle(const Circle *c)\n");
fflush(stderr); }
double
areaCircle(const Circle *c) {
const
double pi = 3.14159265358979323846;
double r = radiusCircle(c);
fprintf(stderr, "areaCircle(const Circle *c)\n");
fflush(stderr);
return pi*r*r; }
static virtual_t
vtableCircle[] = {(virtual_t)drawCircle,
(virtual_t)areaCircle};
/* constructors */
Circle
createDefaultCircle(void) {
Circle C;
C.S = createDefaultShape();
C.R = 0.0;
C.S.V = vtableCircle;
return C; }
Circle
createExplicitCircle(const Shape *s, double r) {
Circle C;
C.S = *s;
C.R = r;
C.S.V = vtableCircle;
return C; }
/* destructor */
void
destroyCircle(Circle *c) {
destroyShape(shapeCircle(c));
}

$ cat main.c
/* gcc -I. -O2 -o main main.c Circle.o Shape.o Color.o Point.o
*/
#include<stdio.h>
#include<Circle.h>

int
main(int argc, char* argv[]) {
Shape s = createDefaultShape();
Circle c = createExplicitCircle(&s, 2.0);
drawShape((Shape*)(&c));
fprintf(stdout, "%g = radius\t %g = area\n",
radiusCircle(&c), areaShape((Shape*)(&c)));
return 0;
}

$ cat Makefile
CC=gcc
DEFINES=
INCLUDE=-I.
OPTIONS=-O2
LIBRARY=
OBJECTS=Point.o Color.o Shape.o Circle.o
SOURCES=Point.c Color.c Shape.c Circle.c
HEADERS=Point.h Color.h Shape.h Circle.h
library=
COMPILE=$(CC) $(DEFINES) $(INCLUDE) $(LIBRARY) $(OPTIONS)

main: $(HEADERS) $(OBJECTS) main.c
$(COMPILE) -o main main.c $(OBJECTS) $(library)

Point.o: Point.h Point.c
$(COMPILE) -c Point.c

Color.o: Color.h Color.c
$(COMPILE) -c Color.c