Having the darndest time trying to install and run at client

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Tony Girgenti, Sep 14, 2006.

  1. Hello.

    I developed and tested a web application using VS.NET 2003, VB, .NET
    Framework 1.1.4322, ASP.NET 1.1.4322 and IIS5.1. It uses a web form.

    I'm having the darndest time trying to make this program install and run at
    client site. Not so much install anymore, but there are still some install
    issues.

    Before doing any web work the program simply tries to open a text file.
    When at the office and i run it, it works fine. When i go to the client and
    try to use it on their machines, i get this error message:
    "Error Occurred in btnGetArchivedTrips_Click:
    System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "C:\xmltrips.txt" is
    denied.
    at Microsoft.VisualBasic.FileSystem.FileOpen(Int32 FileNumber, String
    FileName, OpenMode Mode, OpenAccess Access, OpenShare Share, Int32
    RecordLength)
    at XatanetWebService.WebForm1.GetTripExport() in
    c:\inetpub\wwwroot\XatanetWebService\WebForm1.aspx.vb:line 92
    at XatanetWebService.WebForm1.btnGetArchivedTrips_Click(Object sender,
    EventArgs e) in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\XatanetWebService\WebForm1.aspx.vb:line
    65"

    Can anybody explain why i get this at the client but not at the office ?

    Does anybody have a list of standard things to do when creating a deployment
    project. ? Maybe i'm not doing that correctly.

    If i'm logged on as Administrator, shouldn't i have rights to do anything ?

    Any help that anybody can provide for any of this would be gratefully
    appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Tony
    Tony Girgenti, Sep 14, 2006

  2. Hmmm. So, since this is a web application, everything that happens in the
    program is done under the ASP.NET engine ?

    When i do research to resolve a problem, i should consider that i'm working
    with ASP.NET.

    I think i just realized something from what you said.

    Thanks Gaurav.
    Tony

    Tony Girgenti, Sep 15, 2006