having to reboot every 10 minutes

PJ6

I'm developing my own web controls library for use in a project I'm working
on. Whenever I make changes, I get "access is denied" to the dll and pdb on
recompile. I shut down the indexing service, stopped IIS, and even tried
deleting the file through a command prompt - the only thing that frees up
the file is rebooting. Are there any known workarounds to this charming
problem?

Paul

fh

PJ6 said:
I'm developing my own web controls library for use in a project I'm working
on. Whenever I make changes, I get "access is denied" to the dll and pdb on
recompile. I shut down the indexing service, stopped IIS, and even tried
deleting the file through a command prompt - the only thing that frees up
the file is rebooting. Are there any known workarounds to this charming
problem?

Paul
I had the same charming pb
I had to disable the windows indexing service.....
it just worked fine...

Grant Merwitz

Try changing the project from Debug to Release mode, recompiling
then changing back again from Release to Debug

Otherwise, you can try kill the Asp worker process which may be holding onto
it
aspnet_wp.exe

Mark Rae

fh said:
I had the same charming pb
I had to disable the windows indexing service.....
it just worked fine...

The Windows Indexing Service can be a real irritation at times - e.g. it
causes huge problems with the FreeTextBox addin...

AF

The Windows Indexing Service can be a real irritation at times - e.g. it
causes huge problems with the FreeTextBox addin...

Damn it! You indirectly solved one of my reccurent problems on my
web server for a few weeks!!!
Thanks !!

Antonio

jasonkester

Grant said:
Try changing the project from Debug to Release mode, recompiling
then changing back again from Release to Debug

Really? That is usually the CAUSE of this problem when I hit it.

I just bail out of VS.NET and double-click the prominent desktop batch
file I wrote that deletes every .dll in all my projects. Fixes it
every time.

Strange the MS hasn't put much effort into fixing this. I can only
guess that it goes deep, and there's not much they can do about it
short of a major rewrite. Sort of the same reason that the Visual
Designer always has and always will mangle your HTML.

Jason Kester
Expat Software Consulting Services
http://www.expatsoftware.com/

Grant Merwitz

Yeah, we can only hope Vis 2005 fixes these problems.

the way it Mangles my HTML really really really really really really really
pisses me off -- thats a lot of really's

Benton

Grant Merwitz said:
Yeah, we can only hope Vis 2005 fixes these problems.

the way it Mangles my HTML really really really really really really
really pisses me off -- thats a lot of really's

Have you tried VS 2005 Beta 2? It mangles HTML... BIG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:(

-Benton

Mark Rae

Damn it! You indirectly solved one of my reccurent problems on my
web server for a few weeks!!!
Thanks !!

Glad to help... :)

Now, if I could only get the latest version to do hyperlinks properly... :)

Grant Merwitz

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Why do that ... WHY??

I was ranting on this newsgroup about a year ago about this, and someone
told me it would be fixed in 2005.
Damn them!

I have figured out how to prevent it though, but its a bit of a pain in the
arse

When you create say a button, be sure to make it like this:
<asp:Button id="btnWhatever" runat="server"></asp:Button>
rather than
<asp:Button id="btnWhatever" runat="server"/>

For the time being, Vis the Stud will leave it alone.
Then when you double click to add an event, it will suddenly mangle it, like
this
<asp:Button id="btnWhatever"
runat="server"></asp:Button> <!-- ofcourse this is multiplied by how many
controls you have, tables etc. -->

Immeadietaly go back into your html view of you ASPX page, and click
'ctrl+z' twice
It will have moved it back to the original neater form:
<asp:Button id="btnWhatever" runat="server"></asp:Button>

This works to keep your page mangle free, but bare in mind, if you forget to
do it once - and just once - its all over!!!!

PJ6

You know what I hate? While I'm editing HTML (sometimes without even going
into the visual designer) VS will randomly drop my undo history. Like, "oh,
you won't be needing to do undo THAT any more". Geez, thanks, Microsoft.

Paul