Having trouble importing against PP2E files

Charles Krug

I'm trying to use the example files from Programming Python, 2nd Ed.

I've copied them into c:\Python24\Examples\PP2E.

Launching any of the examples programs by themselves seems to work
spiffily.

Using regedit, I appended "c:\Python24\Examples\PP2E" to Pythonpath

from the immediate window, executing the line:

from PP2E.launchmodes import PortableLauncher

Raises the exception:

Import Error: no module named PP2E.launchmodes

However if I copy launchmodes.py into my work directory, it imports
successfully.

Both "Examples" above and "Examples\PP2E" contain the __init__.py file.

Obviously, I'm missing a setup step here.

What magic do I need to perform to get Python to find modules in the
Examples heirarchy?

Is there any way to check from the immediate window where Python will
search for modules? Pythonpath appears to be correct, but the file
isn't importing unless I copy it to the current directory.

Thanx

Charles

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Elmo_M=E4ntynen?=

Charles Krug

Are both Examples and PP2E packages?

They appear to be, yes.
In python if a folder is meant to represent a package it should iclude
the above mentioned file __init__.py and by saying the above your
suggesting that PP2E is a package inside the package Examples.

That appears to be the case, yes.
If the above is correct, you should append the pythonpath with
c:\Python24\ and refer to the wanted .py with Examples.PP2E.launchmodes.
As such the import statement obviously should be "from
Examples.PP2E.launchmodes import PortableLauncher". If the above isn't
the case and there is still something unclear about this, reply with a
more detailed post about the situation.

The registry value is this:

C:\Python24\Lib;C:\Python24\DLLs;C:\Python24\Lib\lib-tk;
C:\Python24\Examples\PP2E

I'm not realy sure what other details are relavant. I've installed from
the Windows .msi package, and appended the directory I want to
PythonPath in the registry, and that doesn't do what I need.

This is WinXP Pro

Dennis Lee Bieber

C:\Python24\Lib;C:\Python24\DLLs;C:\Python24\Lib\lib-tk;
C:\Python24\Examples\PP2E

Possibly you've gone one layer too deep. If there is an
__init__.py IN c:\python24\examples, I suspect you need the path to just
point to that -- c:\python24\examples

Then, specify the subpackage using

import Examples.PP2E

which should, with luck, find that Examples is a package (seeing ITS
__init__.py) and /then/ go for the package component PP2E