having trouble with ruby and rubygem versions

sebwin

The story goes like this:
When I tried to install Thin as a gem, it refused to contend itself
with the outdated ruby 1.8.4 installation I still had. So I thought I
might as well upgrade to 1.9.
I downloaded the source and installed, which did not fail but gave a
remarkable number of definition-missing warnings.
Ultimately, the install didn't seem to be usable as it threw error
messages like there were no tomorrow whenever I asked it to do
anything.
Discouraged by the failure and since my UNIX kung-fu is very weak I
this time opted to install version 1.8.6 as a MacPort (I'm on OSX
10.4). Afterwards I edited my PATH so that the MacPort installation
in /opt/local/bin would be picked up first, which works fine.
Unfortunately, rubygems seems still utterly in love with the bungled
1.9 installation.
I've tried manipulating the gempath, by creating ~/.gemrc and editing
it accordingly, but that naturally only changed the load-path for the
gems themselves. The ruby version rubygem looks at continues to be
1.9.
I've also tried simply removing 1.9 from /usr/local/bin but then I get
"-bash: /usr/local/bin/gem: /usr/local/bin/ruby: bad interpreter: No
such file or directory". (Seems like rubygem doesn't even look at my
PATH!)
I just wish I could roll back to yesterday, when all my troubles
seemed so far away!
Can somebody please tell me how to solve this -- preferably by getting
rid of 1.9 in the process and making rubygem forget it ever existed?