having visual studio recognize my own extension

John Mick

Hi,

I have renamed aspx to .ret and would like visual studio to recognize .ret
file as an aspx file

recognize = show designer, intellisense, group up with corresponding
codebehind in solution explorer, etc.

Many thanks

Juan T. Llibre

Hmmm...I'd like to know how to do that, too.

Probably, the best place to ask that question is the MSDN Forums and,
in particular, the Visual Studio Extensibility Forum, which is manned by
the Visual Studio Development Team.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=57&SiteID=1

You will need to register with an MS Passport account to be able to post questions.

If it's not too much trouble, could you post back the answer here if you get it ?

Thanks...and good luck!

John Mick

Hi, Thank you very much for the advice...

Sure definitly will let you know/others when i get a workaround from MS
forum.

Thanks

John Mick

Here is the reply from MSFT Forum:
-------
You can get basic coloring by simply associating your extension with the
html editor. You can do so in the registry by adding a key under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\Languages\File
Extensions

Next, you will need to support for the web site related features. You can
check out the WebSiteProjectAttribute.cs and
WebSiteProjectRelatedFilesAttribute.cs under
\VSIntegration\Common\Source\CSharp\

These files appear in the June VS SDK CTP and they show how to register new
extensions with a web editor.