    it is unsupported within most browsers but is within the new HTML
    definitions. Yet I cannot find out it's purpose. What is at the other
    end of the URL?

    gazzanewpy, Mar 3, 2006

  2. gazzanewpy

    Jim Moe Guest

    gazzanewpy wrote:
    > What is the PROFILE attribute of the <head> tag for? I understand that
    > it is unsupported within most browsers but is within the new HTML
    > definitions. Yet I cannot find out it's purpose. What is at the other
    > end of the URL?

    It points to a document that has info that is normally contained in the
    various <meta> elements. At this time "profile" does nothing, it is just a
    placeholder.

    (Remove .AXSPAMGN for email)

    Jim Moe, Mar 3, 2006

  3. gazzanewpy

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Jim Moe wrote:

    > It points to a document that has info that is normally contained in the
    > various <meta> elements.

    No, it doesn't.

    The profile is a document, which may also act as a namespace, which
    describes what each META element *means*.

    For example, if I use:

    in a document, no browser, and very few users, will know what that means.
    The document pointed to by the profile will define what "T-Factor" means.

    One commonly used profile is Dublin Core. Another is RFC 2731, which is a
    meta-profile, allowing you to mix and match other profiles.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Mar 4, 2006
  4. Toby Inkster <> wrote:

    > The profile is a document, which may also act as a namespace, which
    > describes what each META element *means*.

    Something like that. However, I have not seen any evidence of any
    software actually trying to make some use of the profile attribute in
    <head>. For all practical purposes, it is useless at present. But if
    you wish to play some meta game, e.g. entering Dublin Core metadata,
    then it would be logical to use the attribute. Such a game is, however,
    pointless solitaire - except perhaps in the _authoring_ environment,
    where metadata is actually used for something.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Mar 5, 2006