header file dependency map

Dr Evil

Greetings. Has anyone ever seen a tool that will read directories of
header file source code and generate a dependency tree? I've often
encountered large projects where such a tool would be useful. I've
used reverse engineering tools such as Rational Rose C++ Analyzer, but
that's a class perspective / module perspective. Perhaps there's a
way to use Rose Analyzer to generate such a dependency map but I'll be
DARNED! if I'll figure it out. :) I suppose it wouldn't be hard to
write, right? :)

Pete Chapman

Dr said:
Greetings. Has anyone ever seen a tool that will read directories of
header file source code and generate a dependency tree? I've often
encountered large projects where such a tool would be useful.

The -M and -MM options of gcc/g++ do this . It'd be a right pain writing
makefile rules without it.

(To be more precise, it generates dependencies starting from c & cpp
files, not 'bare' headers. If this difference is important to you, you
could create a set of trivial cpp files that #include each header one at
a time)