Heading structure

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Luigi Donatello Asero, Feb 22, 2005.

  1. Luigi Donatello Asero, Feb 22, 2005

  2. Luigi Donatello Asero

    R2G2 Guest

    R2G2, Feb 22, 2005

  3. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Richard Guest

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 19:19:15 +0000 R2G2 wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:40:44 GMT, "Luigi Donatello Asero"
    > <> wrote:

    >>Hello,
    >>May I use a heading structure of the following kind?
    >><h1> </h2

    > Wouldn't you need <h1></h1>?

    Please look up the definition of "typo".

    Richard, Feb 22, 2005
  4. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Richard Guest

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:40:44 GMT Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > Hello,
    > May I use a heading structure of the following kind?

    You can use any combination of <h[n]> you'd like.
    The tag only specifically assigns a set definition to a certain phrase or
    word.
    Instead of the need to style the phrase or word.

    Richard, Feb 22, 2005
  5. "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> skrev i meddelandet
    > On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:40:44 GMT Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > > May I use a heading structure of the following kind?

    > You can use any combination of <h[n]> you'd like.
    > The tag only specifically assigns a set definition to a certain phrase or
    > word.
    > Instead of the need to style the phrase or word.

    What about these examples?
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/oversattning.html
    and
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/oversattning.php

    --
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/trevidue.php

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Feb 22, 2005
  6. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > What about these examples?
    > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/oversattning.html
    > and
    > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/oversattning.php

    If I could read the language ... <hx> needs planning.

    <h1>Main Page Heading, Used Once</h1>
    <h2>Sub-heading One</h2>
    <h2>Sub-heading Two</h2>
    <h3>Sub-sub-heading One</h3>
    <h3>Sub-sub-heading Two</h3>
    <h3>Sub-sub-heading Three</h3>
    <h2>Sub-heading Three</h2>
    <h3>Sub-sub-heading One</h3>
    <h4>Sub-sub-sub-heading One</h4>
    <h3>Sub-sub-heading Two</h3>
    Consider it similar to an Outline.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 22, 2005
  7. Richard wrote:
    > On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:40:44 GMT Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >

    >> Hello, May I use a heading structure of the following kind?

    > You can use any combination of <h[n]> you'd like.

    In W3C HTML, that is. ISO HTML, the only HTML standard created by a real
    standards organization, doesn't let you skip heading levels (so you
    can't do <h1> immediately followed by <h3>).

    > The tag

    Element.

    > only specifically assigns a set definition to a certain phrase or
    > word. Instead of the need to style the phrase or word.

    I fail to see the connection between assigning semantic meaning to an
    element and not needing to style it.

    Leif K-Brooks, Feb 22, 2005
  8. "Leif K-Brooks" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Richard wrote:
    > > On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:40:44 GMT Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > >

    > >> Hello, May I use a heading structure of the following kind?

    > > You can use any combination of <h[n]> you'd like.

    > In W3C HTML, that is. ISO HTML, the only HTML standard created by a real
    > standards organization, doesn't let you skip heading levels (so you
    > can't do <h1> immediately followed by <h3>).

    I do not think that I put any <h3> directly after <h1>
    Did you look at the code?
    I also used <div class="" id="">
    and so on.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Feb 22, 2005
  9. "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >
    > > What about these examples?
    > > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/oversattning.html
    > > and
    > > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/oversattning.php

    > If I could read the language ... <hx> needs planning.
    >
    > <h1>Main Page Heading, Used Once</h1>
    > <h2>Sub-heading One</h2>
    > <h2>Sub-heading Two</h2>
    > <h3>Sub-sub-heading One</h3>
    > <h3>Sub-sub-heading Two</h3>
    > <h3>Sub-sub-heading Three</h3>
    > <h2>Sub-heading Three</h2>
    > <h3>Sub-sub-heading One</h3>
    > <h4>Sub-sub-sub-heading One</h4>
    > <h3>Sub-sub-heading Two</h3>
    > Consider it similar to an Outline.

    It is already similar.
    But I also have links on the top.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Feb 22, 2005
  10. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >
    >>Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >>
    >>>What about these examples?
    >>>https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/oversattning.html
    >>>and
    >>>https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/oversattning.php

    >>If I could read the language ... <hx> needs planning.
    >>
    >><h1>Main Page Heading, Used Once</h1>
    >> <h2>Sub-heading One</h2>
    >> <h2>Sub-heading Two</h2>
    >> <h3>Sub-sub-heading One</h3>
    >> <h3>Sub-sub-heading Two</h3>
    >> <h3>Sub-sub-heading Three</h3>
    >> <h2>Sub-heading Three</h2>
    >> <h3>Sub-sub-heading One</h3>
    >> <h4>Sub-sub-sub-heading One</h4>
    >> <h3>Sub-sub-heading Two</h3>
    >>Consider it similar to an Outline.

    > It is already similar.
    > But I also have links on the top.

    Where, above the <h1>? I suppose it's ok to put navigation above it...

    But what is this?
    italienska</h1></div>

    Why is the <h1> in a <div> by itself?

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 22, 2005
  11. "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> skrev i

    meddelandet

    > >>If I could read the language ... <hx> needs planning.
    > >>
    > >><h1>Main Page Heading, Used Once</h1>
    > >> <h2>Sub-heading One</h2>
    > >> <h2>Sub-heading Two</h2>
    > >> <h3>Sub-sub-heading One</h3>
    > >> <h3>Sub-sub-heading Two</h3>
    > >> <h3>Sub-sub-heading Three</h3>
    > >> <h2>Sub-heading Three</h2>
    > >> <h3>Sub-sub-heading One</h3>
    > >> <h4>Sub-sub-sub-heading One</h4>
    > >> <h3>Sub-sub-heading Two</h3>
    > >>Consider it similar to an Outline.

    > > It is already similar.
    > > But I also have links on the top.

    > Where, above the <h1>? I suppose it's ok to put navigation above it...

    No. It is not above the head.
    http://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/hus-i-italien.php

    > But what is this?
    > italienska</h1></div>
    >
    > Why is the <h1> in a <div> by itself?

    I think you can have a style for the <h1> if you want to
    This way I make it clear that the heading is for the whole page and not
    only for the menu.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Feb 22, 2005
  12. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> skrev i
    > meddelandet news:...
    >> But what is this? <div id="head"><h1>Översättning svenska - tyska
    >> - engelska - italienska</h1></div>
    >>
    >> Why is the <h1> in a <div> by itself?

    > I think you can have a style for the <h1> if you want to This way
    > I make it clear that the heading is for the whole page and not
    > only for the menu.

    Yes, certainly you may style the <h1>. But why use the superfluous <div>?

    h1 {
    /* styles here */
    }

    As there should only be one <h1>, it becomes obvious that this heading
    is "for the whole page" and not for a menu.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 22, 2005
  13. "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> skrev i
    > > meddelandet news:...
    > >> But what is this? <div id="head"><h1>Översättning svenska - tyska
    > >> - engelska - italienska</h1></div>
    > >>
    > >> Why is the <h1> in a <div> by itself?

    > > I think you can have a style for the <h1> if you want to This way
    > > I make it clear that the heading is for the whole page and not
    > > only for the menu.

    > Yes, certainly you may style the <h1>. But why use the superfluous <div>?
    >
    > h1 {
    > /* styles here */
    > }
    >
    > As there should only be one <h1>, it becomes obvious that this heading
    > is "for the whole page" and not for a menu.

    Well. on the page
    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/global.html#h-7.5.5
    there is an example where
    the DIV element associates a heading with the following section.

    --
    Luigi ( un italiano che vive in Svezia)
    https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/francavilladisicilia.html

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Feb 22, 2005
  14. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> skrev i
    > meddelandet news:...

    >> As there should only be one <h1>, it becomes obvious that this
    >> heading is "for the whole page" and not for a menu.

    > Well. on the page
    > http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/global.html#h-7.5.5 there is
    > an example where the DIV element associates a heading with the
    > following section.

    Yes, but...

    <DIV class="section" id="forest-elephants" >
    <H1>Forest elephants</H1>
    <P>In this section, we discuss the lesser known forest elephants.
    ....this section continues...
    <DIV class="subsection" id="forest-habitat" >
    <H2>Habitat</H2>
    <P>Forest elephants do not live in trees but among them.
    ....this subsection continues...
    </DIV>
    </DIV> <-- end of <DIV class="section" ...

    Notice how in the sample, the first DIV does not end until the end of
    the sample, most likely place would be to encompass everything except
    navigation.

    Your div is solely wrapped around the <h1> element, and not like this
    sample.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 22, 2005
  15. "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    > > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> skrev i
    > > meddelandet news:...

    > >> As there should only be one <h1>, it becomes obvious that this
    > >> heading is "for the whole page" and not for a menu.

    > > Well. on the page
    > > http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/global.html#h-7.5.5 there is
    > > an example where the DIV element associates a heading with the
    > > following section.

    > Yes, but...
    >
    > <DIV class="section" id="forest-elephants" >
    > <H1>Forest elephants</H1>
    > <P>In this section, we discuss the lesser known forest elephants.
    > ...this section continues...
    > <DIV class="subsection" id="forest-habitat" >
    > <H2>Habitat</H2>
    > <P>Forest elephants do not live in trees but among them.
    > ...this subsection continues...
    > </DIV>
    > </DIV> <-- end of <DIV class="section" ...
    >
    > Notice how in the sample, the first DIV does not end until the end of
    > the sample, most likely place would be to encompass everything except
    > navigation.
    >
    > Your div is solely wrapped around the <h1> element, and not like this
    > sample.

    No, it is not. But I suppose it is better to put one <div> more rather than
    one less.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Feb 22, 2005
  16. Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> skrev i
    > meddelandet news:...
    >
    >> Your div is solely wrapped around the <h1> element, and not like
    >> this sample.

    > No, it is not. But I suppose it is better to put one <div> more
    > rather than one less.

    It was the last time I looked. (I cannot see if you changed it; your
    server is down at the moment.) I even quoted it:

    See the <div> at the beginning and the </div> at the end? This does
    not conform to the sample at the W3C page.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 23, 2005
  17. "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:
    >
    > > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> skrev i
    > > meddelandet news:...
    > >
    > >> Your div is solely wrapped around the <h1> element, and not like
    > >> this sample.

    > > No, it is not. But I suppose it is better to put one <div> more
    > > rather than one less.

    > It was the last time I looked. (I cannot see if you changed it; your
    > server is down at the moment.) I even quoted it:

    I do not have my own server, my site is on a webhost.
    By the way, I am not very satisfied with the webhost where my site is now,
    so I may consider some suggestions about other hosts in the future
    But it should be a host which installs server certificate on the server (
    not all hosts seem to do that).
    The webhost should be preferably in a country within the European Union.

    But the

    > See the <div> at the beginning and the </div> at the end? This does
    > not conform to the sample at the W3C page.

    Well, actually I am not sure whether it does but just because I am not, I
    suppose that it is better to put it rather than not, just now.
    When I said one more I did not mean just the closing tag.

    Luigi Donatello Asero, Feb 23, 2005
  18. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Richard Guest

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 16:14:28 -0500 Leif K-Brooks wrote:

    > Richard wrote:
    >> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:40:44 GMT Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    >>> Hello, May I use a heading structure of the following kind?

    >> You can use any combination of <h[n]> you'd like.

    > In W3C HTML, that is. ISO HTML, the only HTML standard created by a
    > real
    > standards organization, doesn't let you skip heading levels (so you
    > can't do <h1> immediately followed by <h3>).

    <h1>aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa<h3>bbbbbbbbbbbb</h3>aaaaaaaa</h1>
    This produces 3 lines of printed text rather than one.
    As the header tag produces a dual line break at the closure.

    >> The tag

    > Element.

    <h1> is a tag.

    >> only specifically assigns a set definition to a certain phrase or
    >> word. Instead of the need to style the phrase or word.

    > I fail to see the connection between assigning semantic meaning to an
    > element and not needing to style it.

    What if you had a sentence in which you wanted to show in different size
    print, a specific word?
    You could not use an <h> tag due to the inherit nature of the tag.

    Richard, Feb 23, 2005
  19. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Richard Guest

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 21:01:25 GMT Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    > "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> skrev i meddelandet
    >> On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:40:44 GMT Luigi Donatello Asero wrote:

    >> > Hello,
    >> > May I use a heading structure of the following kind?

    >> You can use any combination of <h[n]> you'd like.
    >> The tag only specifically assigns a set definition to a certain phrase
    >> or
    >> word.
    >> Instead of the need to style the phrase or word.

    > What about these examples?
    > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/oversattning.html
    > and
    > https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/oversattning.php

    That's fine. That's what the <h> tags are for.

    Richard, Feb 23, 2005
  20. Luigi Donatello Asero

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Richard scribbled in the mud:

    > What if you had a sentence in which you wanted to show in different size
    > print, a specific word?
    > You could not use an <h> tag due to the inherit nature of the tag.

    What nature would that be?

    --
    D?
    Adults die young.