    --
    LTP

    :)
    Luc The Perverse, Jan 29, 2006

  2. Luc The Perverse

    JScoobyCed Guest

    Luc The Perverse wrote:
    > Background:
    > I have installed OpenSuse (10.0) Eval Edition on a remote headless computer,
    > and disabled X (so it is completely GUIless) I then removed the keyboard,
    > the video card, the sound card, the CD rom, the floppy and now it is my sexy
    > headless system in the backroom, with only SSH port open on intranet.
    >
    > Question:
    > Where do I find the complete idiots guide to installing Sun's JVM and
    > Compiler? I have failed at installing Sun's JVM when I had a GUI, and a
    > keyboard - so I doubt this is going to somehow be any easier. Right now my
    > knowledge is loading man pages, navigating directories, executing - and I
    > can do a few limited tricks, like compiling a c++ program, edit in vi
    > without any niftiness. For the most part - my knowledge of linux is NILL.

    I guess you can download from Sun website the linux J2SE and then drop
    it in your OpenSuse box. The file is something like j2se-xxxxxx.bin
    Simply drop the file in /usr/local/, then execute the command (in su mode):
    # cd /usr/local
    # ./j2se-xxxxxxxx.bin
    Then it will show you the License, type "yes" and then it will install
    automatically to
    /usr/local/j2se-xxxx
    You can also create a shortcut too:
    # cd /usr/local
    ln -s j2se-xxxxxx java
    This will create /usr/local/java, that you can use for your JAVA_HOME
    environment setting. You can add in the /etc/profile in the PATH section
    the link to /usr/local/java/bin, so simply typing java (or javac or
    anything from the "JAVA_HOME/bin" folder will run from anywhere.

    --
    JSC
    JScoobyCed, Jan 30, 2006