    kb, and is running out after less than an hour of malloc-ing memory to
    build linked lists of messages from attached sensors. Any clues on how
    to get the heap into extended memory, which is lying unused now?

    jeff, Aug 23, 2010

  2. jeff <> writes:
    > I am running Turbo C 3.0 in a DOS environment on an embedded board with
    > 16MB DRAM installed. The heap at initialization is limited to about 490
    > kb, and is running out after less than an hour of malloc-ing memory to
    > build linked lists of messages from attached sensors. Any clues on how
    > to get the heap into extended memory, which is lying unused now?

    Try asking in an MS-DOS forum. comp.os.msdos.programmer looks like
    a good possibility, but I don't know how active it is.

    (Cue "MS-DOS is dead" responses.)

    Nokia

    Keith Thompson, Aug 23, 2010

  3. jeff

    Seebs Guest

    On 2010-08-23, jeff <> wrote:
    > I am running Turbo C 3.0 in a DOS environment on an embedded board with
    > 16MB DRAM installed. The heap at initialization is limited to about 490
    > kb, and is running out after less than an hour of malloc-ing memory to
    > build linked lists of messages from attached sensors. Any clues on how
    > to get the heap into extended memory, which is lying unused now?

    You need a newsgroup specific to your DOS environment, because this is
    a feature of the environment, not a feature of C.

    -s

    Seebs, Aug 23, 2010
  4. jeff

    Sjouke Burry Guest

    jeff wrote:
    > I am running Turbo C 3.0 in a DOS environment on an embedded board with
    > 16MB DRAM installed. The heap at initialization is limited to about 490
    > kb, and is running out after less than an hour of malloc-ing memory to
    > build linked lists of messages from attached sensors. Any clues on how
    > to get the heap into extended memory, which is lying unused now?

    Download the watcom compiler(free),and be able to use the whole
    16MB.
    It has a 16bit compiler and a 32bit one with extender(dos4gw.exe).

    Sjouke Burry, Aug 23, 2010
  5. jeff

    Gene Guest

    On Aug 23, 6:15 pm, Sjouke Burry <>
    wrote:
    > jeff wrote:
    > > I am running Turbo C 3.0 in a DOS environment on an embedded board with
    > > 16MB DRAM installed.  The heap at initialization is limited to about 490
    > > kb, and is running out after less than an hour of malloc-ing memory to
    > > build linked lists of messages from attached sensors.  Any clues on how
    > > to get the heap into extended memory, which is lying unused now?

    > Download the watcom compiler(free),and be able to use the whole
    > 16MB.
    > It has a 16bit compiler and a 32bit one with extender(dos4gw.exe).

    Another option is DJ Delorie's DJGPP, which is a version of gcc that
    uses extended memory to get access to whatever's in the machine.

    Gene, Aug 24, 2010
  6. "Keith Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > jeff <> writes:
    >> I am running Turbo C 3.0 in a DOS environment on an embedded board with
    >> 16MB DRAM installed. The heap at initialization is limited to about 490
    >> kb, and is running out after less than an hour of malloc-ing memory to
    >> build linked lists of messages from attached sensors. Any clues on how
    >> to get the heap into extended memory, which is lying unused now?

    > Try asking in an MS-DOS forum. comp.os.msdos.programmer looks like
    > a good possibility, but I don't know how active it is.
    >
    > (Cue "MS-DOS is dead" responses.)

    on most desktops maybe...

    but, it is mentioned that it is an embedded system, and DOS (among many
    others) live on in the embedded-systems space...

    BGB / cr88192, Aug 24, 2010
  7. jeff

    John Kelly Guest

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 07:58:17 -0700, "BGB / cr88192"
    <> wrote:

    >"Keith Thompson" <> wrote in message
    >> jeff <> writes:
    >>> I am running Turbo C 3.0 in a DOS environment on an embedded board

    >> Try asking in an MS-DOS forum. comp.os.msdos.programmer looks like
    >> a good possibility, but I don't know how active it is.

    >> (Cue "MS-DOS is dead" responses.)

    >on most desktops maybe...
    >
    >but, it is mentioned that it is an embedded system, and DOS (among many
    >others) live on in the embedded-systems space...

    I still have Turbo C 2.0. That was a classic. Runs in DOSEMU on linux.

    --
    Web mail, POP3, and SMTP
    http://www.beewyz.com/freeaccounts.php

    John Kelly, Aug 24, 2010
  8. "John Kelly" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 07:58:17 -0700, "BGB / cr88192"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Keith Thompson" <> wrote in message

    >>> Try asking in an MS-DOS forum. comp.os.msdos.programmer looks like
    >>> a good possibility, but I don't know how active it is.

    >>> (Cue "MS-DOS is dead" responses.)

    >>on most desktops maybe...
    >>
    >>but, it is mentioned that it is an embedded system, and DOS (among many
    >>others) live on in the embedded-systems space...

    > I still have Turbo C 2.0. That was a classic. Runs in DOSEMU on linux.

    I have a different version, still for DOS though, around here somewhere...

    not as much reason to use it anymore though, since more likely I would use
    DPMI or similar anyways.
    last time I did much real-mode development, I had ended up writing all of
    the RM code in assembler.

    but, I have seen some embedded boards before which I guess just sort of fake
    a 386 or 486 with a smallish amount of RAM (and maybe a flash-based HD or
    similar), and it seems many install DOS (or FreeDOS) on these boards...

    however, I haven't really personally worked with these (have seen them in
    action though, like a small embedded panel device being reset, to reveal a
    POST screen, followed by the usual DOS startup messages, then followed by
    the UI coming up...).

    many other devices run Linux and similar as well.

    it is a mystery though which ones are more common, and how many of the ones
    doing x86 have "real" x86 chips (of some sort), vs say ARM and a
    firmware-level emulator, or similar... (well, I guess there is Intel Atom
    and VIA Nano and Vortex86 and similar, and they probably have some market,
    so yeah, probably makes sense...).

    or such...

    BGB / cr88192, Aug 26, 2010